The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF!

And I CANNOT get organized. I'm trying REALLY hard.

I have four BIG rubbermaid totes.

One full of "show stuff"- tall boots, nice helmet, stock pin/hair nets/ nice saddle pads, red ribbons etc.

One full of "clean things"- cotton sheet, standing wraps, flymasks, sleezies, etc.

One more will be full of "stuff I might use at the barn" to be kept at the barn

And another full of junk- extra saddle pads, girths, bridle pieces, bell boots etc.

I have my tack cabinet at the barn (bridles, saddles, bits, girths, saddle pads, grooming/braiding/medicine).

And STILL don't have enough room for everything and still feel massively disorganized... though when I write it out it seems like I'm doing okay.

What do you do with all of your stuff??

I board and work out of a barn, so I don't have unlimited storage, and my house is tiny- have to pile things in the shed (or my trunk is where it usually lands...)

I think I'm going slightly crazy.

ETA: I ride SO many horses that I really have a hard time getting rid of things... I usually end up needing them at SOME point.

I'm dealing with the same thing.

I have 2 barns. 1 is a boarding barn with some storage, 1 is a leased barn with storage, but still... Why do I need all this STUFF?

I just went through every single thing in my tackroom and both of my trailers and found things I didn't know I had. I put a couple of bridles together, and sorted out a bunch of grooming products.
    I also found a couple of horse blankets and some tall boots that I plan to list for sale, along with some other stuff that i really don't need anymore so might as well get rid of it.
    Why don't you set up a tack swap or a barn yard sale or something if you have extra stuff?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I am convinced horse stuff is like wire coathangers - leave it alone and it multiplies by itself.

Although I need to take my own advice here:
    Go through the stuff you don't use and get rid of it.
    *Saddle hasn't seen the back of a horse in 6 months? - discard!
    *Bit didn't work? - discard!
    *Show clothes not 100% usable? - discard!
    (why do I keep the ratcatcher with missing choker?)
    *"Extra" halter missing a part? - discard!

The discard pile can be donated, sold on consignment or just tossed depending on condition.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Epona, just take a look at the "rolling tack room" next time I'm out there, and remember that I still have a tack room full of crap at home, too. Won't help your organizational skills, but it may make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    Epona, just take a look at the "rolling tack room" next time I'm out there, and remember that I still have a tack room full of crap at home, too. Won't help your organizational skills, but it may make you feel better.
    You need to see the back corner of A's barn right now- I've moved in and taken OVER. I think J is about to have a minor OCD freak-out.

Default I sympathize!

Hi, my name is LessonLearned and I have a stuff problem. I have only owned my horse for 3 1/2 years and yet I have stuff that rivals even the most seasoned horseperson. My stuff is at the barn, in my shed, in my house, in my car, in my trailer, in my truck. . .

Even with a recent massive clearout of stuff. . .I still have too much stuff.

And with the resources that come from the sale of the cleared out stuff. . .you guessed it. . .I bought more stuff.

God, I need help. . .
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

I have too much stuff. I am someone who likes things that organize stuff. So I buy a lot of containers, mostly from the dollar store, plus tote bags and carry bags... I have a tote bag that holds helmet, half chaps, crop, hair nets, gloves, treats, a corkscrew and a checkbook; i.e., everything I might need to ride for a lesson or on my own horse. (Really don't know why the corkscrew is in there, but figured it might be useful at some point.) That bag goes back and forth with me a lot. My tack trunk holds most things. I have an Equine Couture hanging grooming caddy for all my grooming stuff (best purchase ever). I have a regular plastic caddy to hold hoof dressing, braiding stuff, show sheen, fly sprays, baby wipes, etc. I have plastic tubs for first aid stuff, tack cleaning stuff, sponges, etc. I got a little plastic tote at the dollar store for dirty stuff that needs to go home and be washed.

I basically feel that as long as you can stick it in something plastic from the dollar store, it's not junk, it's organized stuff that you will certainly need someday. (:

I still have a lot of stuff, but I did a major clean out/fire sale on eBay to pay for a truck transmission. I made what I needed for a huge bill from the mechanic, but the surprising part of the experience was finding stuff I forgot I had; brand new bridles, bits, girths, etc. I also sold off some of my extra show stuff realzing I only need 2 jackets since I am probably not going to show a lot in the near future with an 8 month old. I kept one blue and one grey. The rest went. What is left will be easier to organize. I kept enough to show at a local level in hunters or WP. I still have multiple bridles and plenty of saddle pads, but not the crazy amount I had before. Realizing I had spent SO much money on a lot of stuff I never or hardly used also makes it easier to not buy anything new. I have a new additiction to replace my tack addicition - baby clothes and toys (especially from the thrift stores.)

Turns out I didn't need at least half of what I had in my tack collection.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

I need a head bumper if anyone has several. Beyond that, I can't help much. I found that putting a list of what's in each tote was helpful, as was having a master list of what's in all totes. Be specific. List sizes if they matter. That way, you know if you have five martingales, or fifteen. Or three 78" blankets. Once you find out what all you have, you may be able to have an organized disposal.

Y'all think YOU have problems, try being multidisciplinary and riding lots of different horses...

3 different groups of show clothes for saddle seat, hunt seat and driving; limitless amounts of girths in sizes appropriate to heese and styles appropriate to discipline... STACKS of saddles.... and so on.

And at the moment I really *can't* get rid of anything (in fact, I still need one more cob sized bridle and could really use another saddle seat style double!) b/c I'm riding 4 different heese w/ 4 different sizes backs/bellies/heads. The saddle seat stuff is in storage right now but the rest is out in my tack room.

I did at least get as far, this weekend, as making up lists of "Horse A wears this saddle, this girth and this bridle" so I don't have to keep them standing while I try 10 on them anymore.

I'm not the queen of organization as you can tell!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I need a head bumper if anyone has several. Beyond that, I can't help much. I found that putting a list of what's in each tote was helpful, as was having a master list of what's in all totes. Be specific. List sizes if they matter. That way, you know if you have five martingales, or fifteen. Or three 78" blankets. Once you find out what all you have, you may be able to have an organized disposal.
    I have an extra head bumper. PM me if you want it.
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

We could put together a COTH only online tradeauction site like ebay. Post pics of each item and see what happens. Most of us won't end up getting rid of stuff - just trading our stuff for others' stuff!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

http://www.bitsandbarter.proboards74.com/index.cgi?

Sell, trade, and give away!

Also, Ebay works well; the buyer pays the shipping, and if you're willing to practically give the stuff away, you can get it placed pretty promptly. It may cost as much as little as .85 to list if you start your price at .01.

Ebay's best feature is that it can function like a huge, international garage sale. I find the really good bargains are things from private sellers, not the pro sellers. You can get screamin' deals from people who just want to get the stuff gone for the price of shipping + .50 - and you can be one of those sellers!

I also have a stuff problem. I keep just what I use regularly at the barn and the rest is in labeled rubbermaid totes at home. I found the Stanley Job Chest extremely useful for organizing the stuff I keep at the barn, especially since it has that tray which is GREAT for the small stuff. I also cut back my veterinary box to just the stuff that I actually use. I had obscene amounts of ointments and crap that had just sat for YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I basically feel that as long as you can stick it in something plastic from the dollar store, it's not junk, it's organized stuff that you will certainly need someday. (:
    I recently discovered Dollar Tree and I loff it!!!
    And now you just gave me one more VALID reason to go to Dollar Tree!

I just cleaned out my garage tack trunk last night and NEED some containers for the little stuff that can get lost in there... not to mention I found evidence of a micey invasion. Who knows how long ago that was... haven't opened that thing in so long!

I think all horse addicts are also tack addicts... its just a fact of life we and our SO's have to deal with. I have 2 horses, and enough stuff for 6.
    A lot of it is 'mistakes not admitted to' stuff. Blankets that don't fit quite right, bridle parts left over from piecing together custom bridles for my old arabian who had a cob length, horse brow, and pony muzzle. I have four 5 1/4" french link loose ring snaffles simply because I forgot that I already had 1. I bought a new french link full cheek yesterday because I wasn't sure the old copper roller one that my OTTB LOVES would still fit him.... duh???? Wouldn't most normal people have tried the old bit first? Truth is, I get in a tack store and I probably look very suspicious to the sales people, because I just plain love being in a tack store, and I'll wander around for ages just hoping that something will jump out and tell me I REALLY, REALLY NEED IT. I am sick, sick, sick.

I did do a purge, reorganization of my tack room this summer, which helped a lot, but there are still a multitude of unused halters, etc., etc.

Maybe we shoud start a COTH board for swapping tack, since I'm obviously not alone here.

I can help those who suffer from Too Much Stuff. I have Too Little Stuff and can offer free thereapeutic Stuff Relief! Just PM for details about this special offer!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Send it to the rescues!

Yes, I am dealing with this right now also. It's even worse because I currently do not own or lease a horse, so I have no tack locker to stash goodies in

I'm trying to go through some things. I've already sold a blanket and a liner, that's a start! And gave away another blanket to a friend. So that's a couple less puffy huge smelly horse things to stash.

I am unable to part with any bits because you just never know when you are going to need a particular one...

Clothes...ugh. Can't part with those either. To expensive to sell and buy new later on when I do need them. I will keep aiming to fit into that jacket that is (and always will be) 2 sizes too small.

Then there are the things I will probably never use, but cannot give away because they were just too good of a deal, or free. Like a too-small black wool Tailored Sportsman huntcoat. Or a set of barely used canary TS breeches. Do I foxhunt? No. But the breeches fit perfect!

I also have a lot of saddles. Nope, can't sell the extra one either, it was a christmas present when I was 10. Yes my rear is too large for it now.

And saddle pads... LOL let's not get started. We can just say I could easily outfit an entire summer camp in one shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.