The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5 yo TB in Ocala needs home by Weds 10/22 or will be put down

On another board that I frequent someone has posted that a 5 yo TB stallion needs to be rehomed asap. From what I understand he was taken off the track a year ago due to sore knees (no chips etc) and sent home to be rested.
    Now he's better and his peeps don't want to spend the $$ and time to get him running again. So now he's a giveaway.
    They may or may not let his papers go with him if he isn't gelded first.

His name is "Snazzy Leon", by Sir Leon (by Private Account) out of Nesos (by Island Whirl)

There are some pics on the other board that I go to and he looks nicely put together.

If you're interested post it, in the meantime I'll work on contact info.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

djbpaints Guest

Thank you Jaegar for posting this tread for me.

I have to contact information for this colt. Please PM me if you are seriously interested.

He is located in the Ocala, Florida area.

Here are the pics of him.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...snazzyleon.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...nazzyleon1.jpg

Additional information:
    A friend called to tell me that one of the clients at his farm has a 5 year old TB colt that has raced that needs to go before Wednesday. He has been layed off for the last 2 years with a track injury. He is sound. Bay with two white socks, not facial white markings, approx 16hh. Is track broke, so will need retraining. Owner isn't interested in returning him to training or paying board on him anymore. Owner says to re home home him by Wednesday or he will be put down.

Doesn't come with papers, MIGHT be able to get them if he is Gelded, no guarantees. He is UTD on all shots, will need to be trimmed soon and is due for a wormer soon. Checking on the coggins.

He is located just north of Ocala. IF some one is seriously interested please let me know. I hate to see this horse be put down only because of he is not of value to the racing industry. Wish my inn wasn't full.

Stands approx. 16.2 hh (eye-balling) Was VERY quiet while handling him even with my 2 year old son jumping around on the golf cart! Knees look good, no noticeable damage.

Really not sure about the papers. But if he is gelding you have a much better chance at getting them.

What the hell is wrong with people?

I know the economy and horse market is bad... but jeeesh.... call the local rescues if there are no takers!

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    What the hell is wrong with people?

I know the economy and horse market is bad... but jeeesh.... call the local rescues if there are no takers!
    Well.. I don't know of many rescues that aren't beyond capacity. With the down turn in the economy donations are down, while the number of unwanted horses is going through the roof. I know many at my boarding stable can't afford their horses any more, and are looking to sell with no takers.

I am currently struggling to afford my horse on a near 50% pay cut.

He is a cute boy, I hope some one is able to take him.

I would be interested in looking at him. Do u know his exact injury?? Thanks.

How sad. But I'd rather a horse be euthanized than sent to the meat auction or put directly on the meat truck. The owners are, imho, being much more responsible than many others.

djbpaints Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmchick View Post
    I would be interested in looking at him. Do u know his exact injury?? Thanks.
    Hi! I don't know. I know it is not a chip in his knee or anything bone related. I saw nothing visible on his knee (swelling, puffiness or movement problems) when I was taking pics of him. The owners sent him home for some time off and decided he wasn't worth the money to start training again for the track. I don't know the horses owners. I know they seem to be only race horse focused and are afraid someone will try to get him and race him again (hence probably no papers), which in my book makes them totally jerks. The horse isn't worth anything to them as far as they are concerned but like heck if they will give him a better chance at getting placed by passing his papers with him only b/c they are fearing someone my put him back in training for the track and make something out of their 'trash'. So I'm thinking his injury or cause for the lay up isn't a major deal based on what I'm finding out. I'm sorry that I don't know more. I am relying on what the Manger knows about him. Nice guy on the ground with what I saw. I think he will do well in a new job.

If you are very interested, contact me via PM and I will pass on the contact information for the Barn Manger.

Thanks!

That's really ashame that he's in Florida. I like him, I'd take him.
    Quote Originally Posted by susamorg
    Have your good rides but don't forget to stop and smell the horses .

Susan
    Fundamental Horsemanship

Quote Originally Posted by des View Post
    That's really ashame that he's in Florida. I like him, I'd take him.
    Me too. If anyone can find a way to get him to Ontario he's got a home here for sure!

Edited to add that I really AM serious. I can't go get him, and can't pay a shipper 2-3K to bring him here...but if someone has any less expensive transportation ideas lemme know!

Maybe he could hitch free rides from trailers with space that are headed north? I've seen some posts where people have room for a horse and they list their start and destination. (you have a lovely farm, he would look gorgeous in those pastures!)

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    Me too. If anyone can find a way to get him to Ontario he's got a home here for sure!

Edited to add that I really AM serious. I can't go get him, and can't pay a shipper 2-3K to bring him here...but if someone has any less expensive transportation ideas lemme know!
    I'm in the same position here in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by susamorg
    Have your good rides but don't forget to stop and smell the horses .

Susan
    Fundamental Horsemanship

You may want to post this on the Giveaways forum to get more exposure.

Actually I posted it here instead of the Giveaways because many folks (incl me) look at the Marketplace very infrequently.
    In any event, apparently we got plenty of exposure because I think we have a winner!
    However, it aint over til it's over so til he's on the trailer and headed to his new peeps
    if you are still interested feel free to call about him
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Glad to hear he will have his happy ending
    I'm still interested if it does fall through.

Gestalt - thanks!

Did he get a home? What a pretty boy.
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

so far we think he has been placed, but like I said, it aint over til it's over.
    Til he's on the trailer I figure he's up for grabs.

djbpaints Guest

Yup, looks like he has a new home. Will update when I get the call from the barn manager that he is loaded and headed to his new home.

Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear he got a home...it was killing me to know he could be put down when I am only a short drive away from him...I don't have a farm, so taking him would have been difficult for me to do.

djbpaints Guest

He was loaded up today with out a problem and headed to his new life!

HOOOOOO-RAY!!!!!!! Many thanks to all of you who gave this horse a chance at life...a decent life. You helped us all.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan