The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Finicky Horse Owners- What do you use to flavor the NASTY POISON you feed your horse?

So, I got a new probiotic for my mare, and she's none too happy about it. She hates anything in meal-form, and it's a meal (didn't realize that when I bought it!). I'd really like to keep her on it as it was specifically referred to by my vet, but maresie thinks it's a big THUMBS DOWN.

I am determined to get her to eat her snack again (soaked alfalfa cubes, about 2 tablespoons sweet feed, veggie oil, and probiotic) happily. Here is what I have tried to no avail:

YUCKY flavors that DON'T HELP! :
    Pancake syrup
    Apple juice
    Apple sauce
    Sugarfree jello powder of all flavors

Flavors I'm going to try but haven't yet:
    Molasses (But SOOO messy!)
    Honey
    Peppermint Extract

Any other suggestions for my trip to Walmart tonight? How do you get YOUR finicky eater to clean their plates?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Root beer! My old horse was awful about taking any meds his last year, but needed them daily. Half a can of root beer mixed into his food worked perfectly to hide any "nasty" meds.

(I used diet root beer since he was mildly IR.)
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    Root beer! My old horse was awful about taking any meds his last year, but needed them daily. Half a can of root beer mixed into his food worked perfectly to hide any "nasty" meds.

(I used diet root beer since he was mildly IR.)
    Haha, that's a cute idea! I can just imagine a case of root beer stored next to my tack box. That would surely make the other boarders wonder..

There was an Equus article on this a few years ago and believe it or not - one of the top flavors preferred by horses was.......banana. Maybe try mushing it in some bananas.
    There is a reason PONY is a four letter word!

Quote Originally Posted by LAD View Post
    There was an Equus article on this a few years ago and believe it or not - one of the top flavors preferred by horses was.......banana. Maybe try mushing it in some bananas.
    I read that article! Banana, Cherry, and Fenugreek I think were the top three. I tried all three, a whole banana, cherry jello, fenugreek seeds. No go on all three. I guess my mare didn't read that article.

My girl is very picky, but molasses helps the psyllium seed husk go down.

Default Equi Sweet

Sugar-Free Low Glycemic Non-Sugar Sweetener
    It comes in Apple, Cherry, Peppermint and Molasses flavors.

I've tried the apple to camoflage nasty tastes and the boys love it. I used much less than they suggested then weaned them off the flavoring.

http://www.uckele.com/equine/ezecomm...bcategoryid=61

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Sugar-Free Low Glycemic Non-Sugar Sweetener
    It comes in Apple, Cherry, Peppermint and Molasses flavors.

I've tried the apple to camoflage nasty tastes and the boys love it. I used much less than they suggested then weaned them off the flavoring.

http://www.uckele.com/equine/ezecomm...bcategoryid=61
    I might try that as well. I'd love to be able to use something I can just pick up at the grocery store, but we'll see what miss diva mare decides.

I tried the apple and cherry flavors from Uckele with my picky girl, and they were definitely a no-go.

Someone suggested carrot powder here a week or two ago. I have a pound in my car, but haven't tried it yet.

Can you hand feed her the Fastrack with a small handful of sweet feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I tried the apple and cherry flavors from Uckele with my picky girl, and they were definitely a no-go.

Someone suggested carrot powder here a week or two ago. I have a pound in my car, but haven't tried it yet.

Can you hand feed her the Fastrack with a small handful of sweet feed?
    Good to know the flavors from Uckele don't work all the time! I'd hate to order a gallon only to find out it doesnt work.

I may try the handfeeding with sweetfeed, but I kinda doubt it. One whiff of the probiotic and she's pouting.

Well, if you get to the point where you want to paste the probiotic into her, I've found cream cheese frosting palatable and easy to paste with

Maybe you could try mixing the probiotic with frosting and adding it to her grain? Blush is not offended by frosting, which is something of a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Well, if you get to the point where you want to paste the probiotic into her, I've found cream cheese frosting palatable and easy to paste with

Maybe you could try mixing the probiotic with frosting and adding it to her grain? Blush is not offended by frosting, which is something of a miracle.
    I hate to paste her with it, that would be an absolute last resort. But I might try the frosting, do you buy the stuff out of a can or?

Might not work if the jello was a no-go, but I got a month's worth of doxy into my picky eater by mixing it with Kool Aid powder (the kind that comes in a jar and has the sugar already mixed in).
    Proud member of the EDRF

Yeah, I use the stuff in a can in the cake aisle. I suppose I could make my own, but who has the TIME?

What about baby food carrots? My guy is funny about anything new. When I started adding wet beet pulp I had to throw several carrots in the food processor and mix them together. He ate it up! Now he eats it fine with out, only took 2-3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by LAD View Post
    Bananas are just about the only fruit my horse WON'T eat -- he loves watermelon, canteloupe, grapes, etc etc etc. The first time I gave him a piece of banana, he made that YUCK face and spit it out. I thought it was a fluke, but it wasn't. He hates them.

OP -- I just went through the same thing with the above-referenced horse. He gets a handful of Strategy/day (doesn't need ANY, but it's just to keep him happy when everyone else gets theirs). When I tried putting a probiotic in it, he wouldn't touch it. I ended up giving him sweet feed instead of the Strategy and put molasses on it for the first three or four times. After that, he ate it without the sweetener.

For pasting, I've always used vanilla flavored yogurt. My horses all seemed to like that.

rice bran is *the* flavor of choice for every horse i know. if you take a cup of Rice Bran bran (not pellets) and mix it with water to make a nice soup then add the meds - i can guarantee they will slurp it right up.

i have fed everything from bute to dex to wormer in this manner. and they eat it so fast they dont know what hit them!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    rice bran is *the* flavor of choice for every horse i know. if you take a cup of Rice Bran bran (not pellets) and mix it with water to make a nice soup then add the meds - i can guarantee they will slurp it right up.

i have fed everything from bute to dex to wormer in this manner. and they eat it so fast they dont know what hit them!
    I'd be more than willing to try rice bran as I have fed it in the past as a wintertime snack, but I'd hate to buy 50 lbs of it and then find out she won't eat the probiotic with it.

Well if the only reason you are having this fight is to get a probiotic into her I would switch to something you can squirt in her mouth like ration plus or probios paste. Fastrack is a good product but not so good that its worth fighting over when there are alternatives that would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Well if the only reason you are having this fight is to get a probiotic into her I would switch to something you can squirt in her mouth like ration plus or probios paste. Fastrack is a good product but not so good that its worth fighting over when there are alternatives that would be easier.
    I don't really consider pasting her every single day that much easier.