The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default scientific horse facts....what do you know?

I'm curious at some of the real facts of horses.

Like:

smell----is it better than a blood hound? Anyone know how well they really smell?

Hear?

Typical speed

etc.

growth?

other interesting facts.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

No gallbladder.

36-40 teeth (depends on gender)

Mules are not ALWAYS sterile.

Horses have 32 chromosomes, donkeys have 31

Those are some bits of trivia I remember from 4H Horse Bowl.
    Click here before you buy.

(correct me if I'm wrong but...) horses cannot burp!

Arabians have one less set of ribs than other breeds
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetabler View Post
    (correct me if I'm wrong but...) horses cannot burp!
    They also cannot vomit.

Arabians not only have a different rib count, but a different vertebrae count as well (I forget if it's more or less).

Their evolutionary tree is one of the most completely filled in, so it's used in a ton of biology books.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Little Valkyrie View Post
    Arabians have one less set of ribs than other breeds
    A few, here and there.
    As in other breeds.

See older post on the matter
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I did a moonlight ride on Saturday night (woot! so cool!) and on it, the BO said that horses see 7x better than we do in the dark. How cool is that?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

WOW....7 times and other really cool stuff.

What about smell?

I was on a trail ride and my mare acted all snorty and kept smelling the air left to right and then I had to pretty much make her continue. Then as we past these tree's I looked down to see Mtn Lion tracks. I don't know how fresh they were--but wondering how long they can smell something like that. Just hours or days after.

Like my husband said something about blood hounds being able to smell a 21 day old blood trail (NOT sure if he is correct, but how cool!)

The sight thing, I was cantering my gelding on this new trail, it was in the dark, but the moon was bright. He all the sudden slowed down and then stopped, about 10 feet in front of a barb wire fence! I couldn't see it till I got right upon it! SO thank God for those 7x's better eyes and boy did that teach me about cantering on the trail at night---ugh. I had terrible visions for a week!
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    A few, here and there.
    As in other breeds.

Ah, my brain is a bit fuzzy from the horse bowl/hippology days.
    I think i will remember that bot flies can block the Pyloric Valve until the end of my days. Don't know why its that little gem of knowledge that stuck, but in case you wanted to know...
    Last edited by Little Valkyrie; Oct. 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: lack of sleep
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

While I am not an expert on anatomy, but I read that the foot of the horse is just one digit-like one of our toes and the hoof is actually just like our fingernails but a little tougher and stronger. So it makes them walk on tiptoes. Honestly I have trouble imaging that-just the concept-my first question would be what happened to all the other digits and why this kind of design and what is its advantage over say that of a camel or an elephant? But that is the design I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    While I am not an expert on anatomy, but I read that the foot of the horse is just one digit-like one of our toes and the hoof is actually just like our fingernails but a little tougher and stronger. So it makes them walk on tiptoes. Honestly I have trouble imaging that-just the concept-my first question would be what happened to all the other digits and why this kind of design and what is its advantage over say that of a camel or an elephant? But that is the design I guess...
    Splint bones would account for some of the other digits.

A barnmate and fellow COTHer and I were discussing this--she referred to the horse's hock as his knee, and I was like "um... hock" and she said "well, hind knee" and I pointed out that really, the hock would be the equivalent of the human ankle, and then she asked where the knee would be, and I said the stifle. And then we concluded that horses are built weird. Although they probably think *we* are built weird .

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    A few, here and there.
    As in other breeds.

That's interesting. I wonder if it's sort of like how some people have an extra lumbar vertebra...?

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    I remember learning that as a kid with looking at the evolution chain for horses... eohippus had toes, and then as evolution progressed toes began disappearing... and I believe I also remember from an equitation class question that the ergot is a spot where the last toe used to be. Believe that might be true of the chestnut as well? Very odd!

This always amazed me on how animals adapt and evolve.

In Iceland the Icelandics are sooo cool. There are no predators in iceland so Icelandic horses are IT. They don't spook at much and I personally believe that we are the prey! They don't have much hay in iceland so the horses eat a combination of yuck fish remains that humans won't eat. They are salted and preserved and fed to the horses. Icelandics love salt and they are the only horses that are carnivores! Icelandic horses actually have a inner nose chamber that other horses don't have. This chamber warms the air as it gets to their lungs and makes it easier to breathe. Most vets don't realize this nor know how to get around this chamber so when they tube a horse they typically will tear the openings. And lastly, icelandics are also the only horses that actually do store body fat like a polar bear - not just wellfed. This helps them get through long cold winters.

Nothing is more adaptable than the horse whether its being cold and wooly with their tails curled up under them like a icelandic or an arab with their tails up to help cool them down.

I'm lucky I own both and it amazing getting to know each breed in their own ways.
    The View from Here

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    I'm curious at some of the real facts of horses.

Like:

smell----is it better than a blood hound?
    there is nothing on earth (high-tech machines included) that can smell better that a blood hound.

That's a fact, jack!

A 1000# horse contains approximately 13.2 gallons of blood.
    they can not vomit
    small intestine about 70 feet long, large, 12'
    The average horse's heart weighs approximately 9 or 10 pounds

It is illegal to fish horseback in Washington D.C., Colorado, and Utah

Tennessee prohibits riders from lassoing fish.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Grey horses have more hairs per square inch of their coats than horses of other colors.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    In Iceland the Icelandics are sooo cool. There are no predators in iceland so Icelandic horses are IT. They don't spook at much and I personally believe that we are the prey! They don't have much hay in iceland so the horses eat a combination of yuck fish remains that humans won't eat. They are salted and preserved and fed to the horses. Icelandics love salt and they are the only horses that are carnivores! Icelandic horses actually have a inner nose chamber that other horses don't have. This chamber warms the air as it gets to their lungs and makes it easier to breathe. Most vets don't realize this nor know how to get around this chamber so when they tube a horse they typically will tear the openings. And lastly, icelandics are also the only horses that actually do store body fat like a polar bear - not just wellfed. This helps them get through long cold winters.
    Wow. I had no idea about any of that. Fascinating breed! And I thought they were so cool just because of their gaits!

horse only have the cones to see reds and blues....... I think... or reds and greens.... er, I cant remember which one.

nothing smells like a bloodhound.... can you imagine how annoying that must be to smell like a bloodhound...... would drive me nuts...

I just got a new book about conformation and it said that all horses eyes are the same size. They may have smaller or bigger sockets but the eye itself is the same.