The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hay Elevators- Help

Ok.. so as we the last bail on the first trailer of hay was half way up the hay elevator.... the "chain" broke. Where do I take it to get it fixed? or can I just get the chain re welded at the local welder?

Tomarrow we get to carry the last 30 bales up a flight of stairs to stack it. :-(
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Should be able to take the broken link out and put it back together. There should be a tightener you can loosen up to remove the broken link then tighten it back up.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Any idea where I can purchase new links? It's already off the sprocket, we had already put it on once before that haying session too. Think tractor supply might carry the links?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

they should and if not they should be able to direct you to a place that can help.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

We had the same thing happen. Stupid neighbor kid jumped on and tried to ride the bale up and the chain broke. We bought some gadget that holds the ends as you add the link and hammer. Check around at a farm equipment dealer.

It would be easier if this thing had been built in the last 50 years or so... but it was purchased used 10 years ago from a farmer who had had it forever.

Do these things have brands that if I could find out what brand it is I could contact the company? Like, does farmall or johndeere make these things??? I think I have a newholland dealer locally too.

And when I ask.... what is the part called? Hay Conveyer chain? Do they come in sizes? Just take the broken piece with me?

Fortunately. bale elevators haven't changed much in since they were invented. and yes, they do have brands: Ford/NH, Hesston, Massey Ferguson, Case, John Deere. IHC and others. WIth an older machine, it is sometimes best to take the offending part with you, and be prepared to be told it doesn't exist - in some instances, it may well not exist but there are jobber chains for older equipment. Go first to a place that handles jobber parts and they should be able to match it for you. Seems to me, it is a matter of removing a roll pin, adding the link, then replacing two pins. YOu will need a lot of WD-40 and a long centre punch of the appropriate diameter to remove the roll pins.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

When you say a " chain " broke which chain is it? Theres the chain that carries the bales up and unless its a PTO driven elevator theres a chain that drives the motor.

You guys are sooo helpful!!! THANK YOU THANKYOU THANKYOU...

Um.. the motor is belt driven.. so it is accualy the metal link pieces that carry the hay up the track that broke. We(DH) were able to take the broken link out and put it back together to finish the job. I think we have another 31 bales to get next week, but other than that we are done for the season, but I would like to get it overhauled for next year so we don't have to go through this at the begining of hay season. Yesterday in addition to the chain breaking it also popped off the top sprocket once. Husband wasn't sure if it was too loose or too tight, and I'd really like to get it checked out by someone who KNOWS what they are looking at as the "chain" appears quite rusty. I'm concerned about more links breaking.

Now... since the motor has already been replaced, it's already been rewired... is there anyway to find out what brand it is so that I can start hunting a new chain before next hay season?

Most of those chains are interchangable from one brand to the next. If its coming off the sprocket more then likely its to loose or the sprocket is wore out. Lift the chain up in about the middle of the elevator it should lift up no more then a few inches at most. If it lifts up more then that it needs to be tightened. If its really rusty I pour some drain oil on it while its running.

Thanks County... it appears that it is too loose then. Hubby will tighten it up.

Default Sprockets

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Thanks County... it appears that it is too loose then. Hubby will tighten it up.
    Look at the teeth of the sprockets. If the teeth look like they're leaning in one direction, they're badly worn. You would be best served by replacing the sprockets and chain together. Replacing only chain or only sprockets will cause the worn part to damage the new part in a short time

You can usually get replacement linkes at Tractor Supply or your local Co-Op. Perhaps other "farm" type stores, also.

G.