The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default I'm really feelin' down in the dumps tonight....

I called the vet to come and euthanize my little TB mare tomorrow morning.... Had to call and make sure someone could come to take her away too, since I can't afford to have her cremated....

Sad, sad day but she is really having trouble getting around on her bad knee. It's calcified and just got bigger overnight!

Last month the vet gave her a second series of hyaluronic acid shots but they didn't help her this time. With colder weather forecast, and Winter (and the weekend) coming I felt this was an opportune time.... I don't want to keep putting it off and end up with an emergency on a weekend when no one is around.... It sounds so cold to say that but I just worry about this little mare all the time--neither one of us can go on like this.... I sure don't want her to end up like poor Quincy in Massachusetts!!!!

I'm hoping to help out at a rescue near me that buys Thoroughbreds at New Holland and has recently taken in some TBs from Delaware Park--that ought to keep me busy....

I'm just feeling incredibly sad tonight.....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

i'm so sorry
    *jingles for a swift passage over the bridge*

I am so sorry and no, that doesn't sound cold. It sounds loving and concerned.
    My thoughts will be with you and I'll say a little prayer that she goes gently and quickly.

Cherry, remember you are doing the best thing you can for your horse, even though it is breaking your heart.
    A minute too early is so much kinder than a second too late.
    I think the fact we can make those choices however, makes us struggle with sadness, guilt, all those emotions. We forget that it is the final gift we can give them.
    Godspeed to your little mare, and my sincere hugs and condolences to you.

**HUGS**

I'm so, so sorry

I know it doesn't help, but thank you for giving her the release her body needs. I have a new little mare here with HORRIBLE knees - she's 3 and has arthritis and holes in the joints from being overinjected. She's such a sweet girl and I allowed to let myself get attached before getting the xray results...
    I'm not sure what her future holds, but I know in the long run I'm going to have to make the same call that you made today.

Jingles for both you and her tomorrow - may she pass quickly and have the best gallop of her life when she reaches The Bridge.
    -Jessica

Aw, Cherry, I'm so sorry.

I don't think it sounds cold at all, I think you're thinking ahead and ultimately putting her needs above your own.

My thoughts are with you and your little mare.

Hugs and warmest wishes, Cherry.
    You are very brave for doing what is right for your little mare....it is the kindest and most generous thing you can gift to her, although it is heartbreaking for you.
    I hope you can look back fondly on pictures and memories of her and have joy in what she has taught you and brought to your life.
    All the best,
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Jingles for you and your dear mare Cherry.

Are'nt mares special,I know I think of my dear old girl every day,[put her down last April].

Fond thoughts and treasured memories cannot be replaced.

I will keep you in my thoughts,,you will find the strength to do this.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I'm sorry. I hate this part of having animals. Jingles.

Hugs from VA.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Hugs--you are doing the right thing. Been there, done that. She's had a wonde3rful life with you and you're giving her the greatest gift.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I think the WORST time is between making the appointment and the time. It is harder than in an emergency.

But it is the Right Thing.

I am off tomorrow... I'll send some thoughts and prayers your way. (((hugs)))

And Godspeed little TB mare.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Bless you, Cherry, for the sacrifice you're making for your mare. She's a lucky girl. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, especially when I give my guy an extra hug. Hang in there.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Dear Cherry,

So sorry for your loss. I know calling the vet, and then again calling the truck is truly traumatic. God bless you and your mare.

for folks who are in similar situations, the guys who drive the drucks to come get your horse usually have a dual service. They will usually put down your horse free.

I know this sounds morbid with times as they are, but if your on a terrible budget and need a horse put down. Call the guy with the truck first. If they're professional, it may save you tons.

Again,

Sorry for being morbid but death is a part of life.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Sometimes being a good parent is really hard

Lots of hugs coming your way, and I will be thinking of you and your little mare tomorrow.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

There's nothing that can be said -- it's such a very hard thing to do. Try to feel good that you're doing the right thing at the right time. Jingles for peace and reasons to smile in the coming days.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Being a responsible horse owner can be painful, but it's for her good.
    I'm sure those rescues will keep you busy and you can take comfort in possibly offering a future to some other horse who currently has no one they can count on to do right by them.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Paint_th'TownRed Guest

I know you've seen this before, but my Mom re-reads it sometimes, and says it makes her feel better.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=24375

I think Willem was the smartest poster ever.
    *nickers and nuzzles Cherry*

Oh Cherry I am so sorry. I know you've posted that it was on the horizon. You have done so much for that mare, and now you are giving her the ultimate gift of a peaceful end.

Take the time to grieve, but when you're ready, it sounds like that rescue can use your help. I bet there are a few TBs out there that could use your kindness, and your knowledge.

Hugs to you, I will be thinking of you both tomorrow.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I am so sorry for your impending loss. You are very brave for making the responsible and caring choice. I wish you both peace and will be thinking of you tomorrow.