The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanted: Loving home available

I am looking for a sweet, quiet horse/pony to add to our family. We are looking for a horse/pony that is quiet on trails and well behaved enough to give no more than 3 w/t advanced beginner lessons a week. All of our horses have an easy life and are well cared for. Some soundness issues ok and age not important. Free lease or giveaway. Numerous vet/farrier and other references available. Thanks!

This little mare belongs to someone I know, she is a seasoned school horse and reliable mount for any level rider. She's available from now until June 2009.

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...rse_id=1306152

Several of their horses are down south or else headed that way....

Good luck in your search!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Sent you a PM

You have a PM.

Default Question

Are you the person who took Justin from Jana?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

zhuxiaonuan Guest

I may think it

Default Heads Up

If so, stay away, read about Justin on Anyplace Farm's blog from last year.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Anyone looking for advice on what to watch out for when giving your horse away, feel free to consult me about my personal experience (scroll to bottom at start at October 6, then read up).

Not everyone is equipped to offer the care they say they'll give, nor are they able to keep up simple promises of calling you should they decide your horse isn't right for their program. Instead, they try to swap your horse out with rescues and such for another horse.

I don't believe people like this are mean. I just think they are a)stupid, b)untrustworthy, c)selfish, d)don't keep the animal's welfare 100% in mind, e)liars.

And yes, the person I gave my horse to did have a horse named Noah (note the screen name) and does live in Paeonian Springs. You'll note in my post on my website that she said she loved Justin so much and was spending so much time with him that she no longer had time for her stallion Noah that she was going to have to sell Noah.

Although I managed to get my horse back. He was much skinnier and his once stabilized ankle injury was so bad, after consulting with three vets, I had to make the painful decision to put the horse down.

All she had to do was CALL ME.
    Last edited by Anyplace Farm; Oct. 17, 2008 at 09:25 AM.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    If so, stay away, read about Justin on Anyplace Farm's blog from last year.
    Oh, and Calamber, as always, I owe you a debt of gratitude. Now, there might just be a few other people (and horses) that owe you a debt of gratitude in advance.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

So Noah2002, why are you looking for another w/t horse when you "don't have time" for Ben, the horse you have listed on giveaways? You need to get a clue.

Check out her website, Anyplace, it's the same person. Luckily the horse scene in VA is truly a small, small world, and word is out about her now.

Karma. All I can say is Karma. If it hasn't already bitten her in the ass, its about to.

Believe it or not, I was just thinking about Justin and Anyplace the other day.

Glad for the head's up.....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Here is my farm full of happy, healthy horses:

http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/chaserun/

If anyone feels like they would like to speak to me directly my email is springvalleyva@yahoo.com or just stop by, directions are on the website. Thank you.

You are more than welcome Jana, it just broke my heart about Justin and I did not even know him except from speaking with you when I was considering giving him a home. What a shock it was to see him being offered, and why I found him in such a strange way being advertised on another board I will never know. I can only pray for Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by noah2002 View Post
    Here is my farm full of happy, healthy horses:

http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp44/chaserun/

If anyone feels like they would like to speak to me directly my email is springvalleyva@yahoo.com or just stop by, directions are on the website. Thank you.
    That's all fine and good but how do you explain not calling me when the agreement was that you would? And how do you explain sending me an email (which I still have a copy of) saying how much you love him and that you'll keep him forever while you had an ad on Alex Brown trying to get rid of him? And how do you explain calling -- what was it -- three other rescues instead of me?

You can't be trusted. You don't keep your word. You could have the fattest, healthiest, most wonderful animals in the world over there but you let this one person down and a horse down. Period. Explain that. Liar.

And, according to the grapevine, I'm NOT the only one that had an unfavorable experience with you. Word is, when money gets tight over yonder, the horses suffer a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Believe it or not, I was just thinking about Justin and Anyplace the other day.

Glad for the head's up.....
    Awww, thanks Flash. We are getting to be right around the time when I had to put Justin down. I got him back early October of last year and had to put him down a month later. Heartbreaking. I kick myself to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    You are more than welcome Jana, it just broke my heart about Justin and I did not even know him except from speaking with you when I was considering giving him a home. What a shock it was to see him being offered, and why I found him in such a strange way being advertised on another board I will never know. I can only pray for Ben.
    Yes, when I called the person that posted that ad for her, she said, "I hate to tell you but we're not the only rescue she's contacted." They directed me to that rescue, who directed me to another and another. I remember talking with one of the rescues who was appalled that she was trying to trade a horse for another rescue horse. They were like, "The whole point of our rescue is to find a horse a home, not trade one for another."

Poor little Justin. He counted on me to do the right thing. I totally believed Jessica when she said she'd call me.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Justin thanks you for the time you gave him and for being there for him to take him back so quickly. Look at it this way, you and he are probably sparing others a similar fate, and no one may have been the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    That's all fine and good but how do you explain not calling me when the agreement was that you would? And how do you explain sending me an email (which I still have a copy of) saying how much you love him and that you'll keep him forever while you had an ad on Alex Brown trying to get rid of him? And how do you explain calling -- what was it -- three other rescues instead of me?

You can't be trusted. You don't keep your word. You could have the fattest, healthiest, most wonderful animals in the world over there but you let this one person down and a horse down. Period. Explain that. Liar.

And, according to the grapevine, I'm NOT the only one that had an unfavorable experience with you. Word is, when money gets tight over yonder, the horses suffer a bit.

First of all, what is Alex Brown..I sent 1 email to 1 adoption agency as an option, an OPTION. I had a previous phone conversation with you saying how much money you were going to have to spend on a ticket and that you didn't have any money for another horse, that you were going into debt. I had never even decided to give him away, just wanted to know what was out there. Look at the pictures from sept 21 of him fat and happy and playing in the pond...just 2 weeks before you took him...and what about all the emails, pictures, and envites you had to come out to the barn, to go riding with me? I told you that you could stop by and see him whenever, you didn't even have to call. And the last email I wrote you saying that I thought he was going downhill, and I was worried that he was starting to lose weight because his best pony friend was being taken out of his field more and he was getting frantically upset. You never told me how completely herdbound he was, otherwise I would have never taken him in the first place. I had full intentions of keeping him forever and finding someone to lease my stallion, remember, you even brought your friend out because you thought she might be interested in him. I told you about his good days, his bad days and everything inbetween. You were never kept in the dark about anything. You never happen to mention this in any of your posts. Or the fact he was getting fed Triple Crown Senior 3 times a day on top of his MSM, UlcerGaurd canola oil and all the hay he could eat. Not cheap. Especially for someone who "when money gets tight over yonder, the horses suffer a bit". I regret to this day giving him back to you. If I had known you were going to put him down I would have NEVER agreed to it. You can call me what you like, I know I did right by him. I refuse to argue back and forth over a stupid blog, it's petty and pointless, Justin is gone and there is no bringing him back.

The rescue agency you called posted the ad for you on Alex Brown's website. You had written the ad complete with your email address. I have proof you were trying to give him away and made NO efforts to give him back to me, as you had agreed.

Yes, you invited me to ride with you. I did not have time. Yes you sent me pictures but you did not send me pictures of him when he got skinny. The pictures of how skinny he was the day I picked him up from your place are on my site. Your emails, which I still have, which I can easily post here, said you were going to keep him for life.

As for the food, whatever your program, either the feeding program, the turnout program, whatever -- it wasn't working. We fed the horse twice a day on Ultium. He got a scoop and a half plus free choice hay and the pictures on my site show how fat that made him.

Yes, that lovely ticket that I got was potentially going to cost me $3K (that was when they were trying to charge people that for speeding) and no, that would not have put me into debt, however, no, I was not prepared to buy another horse but...uh... yeah, if I'd been offered my own horse back, per the original agreement, I'd have taken him in a heartbeat.

I put the horse down on the advice of THREE vets. I started imaging on that horse the very first business day after I got him back from you. And no, you'd have been too much of a dumbass to put him down. You're one of those types that makes your decisions in relation to animals as it suits you. Not the animal. His suspensory was so blown that they said his ankle would soon be on the ground. Winter was coming and the concern was that the horse could slip and possibly break the already compromised joint. They also said the cold would increase his pain. The horse could not get away from the others when they picked on him and for a horse you call herdbound, that horse walked quietly from his stall to the field each day once we got him to Blue Ridge.

Amazingly, one of your emails right before I picked him up (again, I have a dated copy of it) said you had finally gotten him sound and had started using him on trail rides (also not part of the agreement -- he was solely to be used by you -- not as a rent-a-horse) at the walk. You thought he enjoyed it. I picked him up two days after I got that email and he was dead lame. Yeah, I'm sure he enjoyed that.

Quite frankly, I'm adult enough to not blame you for the ankle. That could have happened on anyone's watch. I've said that to you in an email and I've said it to all my friends. What you did that was wrong was that YOU DID NOT CALL ME AS PER OUR AGREEMENT. Why? Because his value to you was that he was a potential trade.

So, show all the fat pictures you want of all your other horses. YOU DID NOT HOLD UP OUR AGREEMENT. Whatever excuse you come up with, no matter what you say about me or what you say to defend yourself, you did NOT call me as I asked. I cried uncontrollably in front of you and your fiance really, really pressing the point that IF HE DID NOT WORK OUT IN YOUR PROGRAM TO CALL ME AND GIVE HIM BACK. Period.

And as for herd-bound. He lived with one other horse when he was with me. When he got to Blue Ridge, I have the barn manager as my witness and every boarder there as my witness that he never even bothered to go past a walk while there. Never called to other horses. Nothing. Yes, I believe he had issues at your place. Why, we won't know. It didn't work for him and that's great that you tried it but bottom line, you did not call me, you called Celtic Rein, CANTER and one other rescue.

Unfortunately for me and for Justin, the emails about other people's experiences with you didn't come until people saw the story on Alex Brown and my website.

Now, this can lay here and get buried after a few days or you can fan the flames and I can start directing people to this thread, including all the people at the Alex Brown site, including the rescues you spoke to, and we can get even more negative traffic headed your way.

I don't need you to admit to me or anyone else that you did wrong. I know you did wrong. Now go away.