The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

See I knew I couldnt be the only one out there who loves chores. Sometimes yes, it is overwhelming, or too hot but.................there is such a peace when I am out the alone in the dark of night or the fog of the morning. Even the horses are sleepy.

I love stall work and have always told people, when you come to my barn, you are coming to a state of mind. I do all my serious thinking there and when the kids were teens, If they had something serious to discuss, or private, they waited till I was at the barn and at my best hahhahahaha. Many a secret has been revealed in the quiet of a stall.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I just started doing chores, so ask me again mid-January when it's cold...

So far, I find it really satisfying. There is nothing better than walking through a perfectly clean barn or hearing the horses munch their breakfast. I will say, I HATE throwing hay down from the loft and putting hay in stalls... so ITCHY! But I love the rest and I especially love cleaning the stalls.

I guess I'm weird
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I actually LOVE barn work. I so miss the days where I worked 10 hours in an office job and then headed to the barn, cleaned everything and was home by 11:30 pm. It is SO NICE to be alone, quiet and letting time go by without watching it. I'm sure it's tedious to some people, but for me, it's a break in my hectic, people- and expectation-filled day.

I haven't done barn work in about two years. I miss it terribly. Kind of confuses my BM now when I grab a pitchfork and gossip with her from another stall some nights..

I LOVE feeding! First the whole science of it, reading COTH and other things online, coming up with a plan, pricing feeds, making the requisite spreadsheet etc. Then the art... setting it up in the feed room, coming up with an arrangement of ingredients and pans, scooping and measuring and pouring. And lastly the FUN and SATISFACTION of plopping a dish down in front of every nickering nose.

I also like arranging and organizing. Nothing better than opening the supply cabinet to find something you haven't used for a year, and seeing it right where it ought to be. OK, that doesn't always happen. But it's a goal!

Picking stalls has its ups and downs based on weather/temperature and my own pain level. When everything aligns it's almost zen-like. When they don't... well, it's not so much fun!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I think we should all get together and write a book titled, The Zen of Stall Cleaning!

I like doing the chores when it is quiet. I find stall cleaning and sweeping to be very therapeutic, and feeding is a quiet joy. I'm not too hot on dragging buckets heavy with ice out to be emptied, but that's about the only thing I don't like. I am installing insulated buckets to kill off that problem.

Let me tell you, I have come up with some Nobel-winning theories while mucking stalls! Steady physical work with an immediate goal is very satisfying. I've always hated going to a gym and doing pointless exercise--even when I used to run I HAD to compete or I could never see the point in it. I'm sort of an immediate-gratification type in that regard, I guess.

I like the routine barn chores, which I have to say I've engineered to fit into my schedule AND to eliminate, as far as possible, chores I hate. If the chores made me get up at 5am on a regular basis I wouldn't like them half so well. I am a morning person, but NOT a 5am-type morning person. I do my main barn chores after work or in the morning if I have the day off: cleaning stalls and picking up poop in the sacrifice paddock, mainly.

I've eliminated dragging filthy hoses and hauling frozen buckets by putting in an auto waterer where the horses have access to it 24/7. That's one chore I loathe. Stalls, I like.

That's not to say I miss doing chores when we go somewhere!
    Click here before you buy.

Am I the only one who likes scrubbing buckets and cleaning tack... everything from halters to wraps and blankets and reins....?

But I think thats my OCD over being clean that makes it enjoyable to me.. its just habit.

I like cleaning stalls as long as its NOT straw... something about seeing everything neat and clean gives me peace.
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

I have a file titled "I do my best thinking cleaning stalls...", which contains all the profound things I think about and work through while doing feeding, and stalls, trough scrubbing, raking up aisles.
    When I go away to a dog trial for a few days, I miss feeding and mucking, really. Yeah, taking a break is good too, but it's like my personal gyro is off when part of my day isn't spent meditating over sifting through shavings. I love the sound of the alert that I'm coming into the barn to feed, and the silence when they all get out, but since I shift too many horses around to stalls, the silence isn't very long before I hear hay munching again, another lovely sound.
    I even enjoy feeling like "Survivorwoman", being able to tackle chores in weather some folks don't dream of doing anything in besides running from house to car or car to work through. Yeah, I can handle the cold and heat. I can do anything! (LOL)

I love my farm routine. I love cleaning stalls because it is great thinking time, painting the barn, mowing, cleaning pastures...all that stuff. I like it for two reasons. I've been doing it for forty years, so I can't imagine Not doing it (what would I do with all that extra, lazy time??), and I like feeling active and strong. I also like knowing my horses so well, I can spot a problem long before it morphs into something and I just enjoy their company. My only complaints are that I really hate carrying water to the paddocks in the winter and sometimes I wish I had boarder on the farm that would make me drop my chores and get out to ride more. It is easy for the chores to take over and crowd out riding time, especially when you're juggling family responsibilities and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey91 View Post
    I love the chores, accept sweeping. I don't why but I really really hate sweeping.
    Great typo! I think you meant "except" sweeping. But yeah, "accept" it as a necessity.

When my horse was baby and I kept her on my own property, I relished my barn chores. I learned to tell exactly what time of day it was by the sun, saw lots of cool animals & birds and just enjoyed the sounds of contentment from my animals.
    When my girl became old and unrideable, all I could do was barn chores. I'm sure my BOs were happy that I cleaned her outdoor paddock and helped get the hay in. I needed the excersize.

Default Love them!

I board, and far away from home where it is more affordable to keep 3, so I dont get to do chores much. Even self care close to home is just too much...so full care farther away it is.

BUT to help with expenses I just got a second job doing 6 stalls & runs 4 days a week close to home. Its for someone who has just school horses....they are all saints and so its almost a privilege to be scooping their poop!

Ugh the one thing I hate about it though is wet manure in the runs. They are gravel based, and there is one horse who feels as though he MUST grind his poop into the footing. PITA. LOL

I don't mind doing them at all, sometimes it's harder to get motivated, I work long, hard weird hours, due to being tired and a gazillion other things to do, but once I'm out there mucking and sweeping and scrubbing buckets, it's very cathartic.

Most of the time I enjoy them - although when it is chilly or I'm really worn out, I'm not as keen on doing them.

Now, though, I MISS barn chores. My guys still aren't back home after the hurricane,. We are finally back on the property, and I REALLY miss my routines. I don't know what to do with myself in the mornings without barn chores to do! I miss starting the day with my 'kids'.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Having come off a 25yr No-horse hiatus, I have to say, the chores are what I might have missed the most, if it didn't involve a HORSE.

Since purchasing Pete in July, I've done just about all my BO will allow me to do while spending time hanging out at the Barn.

I have not worked my way up to mucking his few stalls, but I'm working towards that. I am always working the wheelborrow and muck rack around the 'yard' and Picket line, without being asked to.

I pick up the feed bins at the end of a day and stack them up, I have even learned the proper amount of feed to give his horses. I am only just now learning the horses and their names, in order to bring them in for a days work on the weekends. And I can turn out a horse like a pro.

I envy those of you with your own place, even a small place, and I do realize just how much work it really is. I really wish the ecomony were better and the DH and I could afford a small farmett.

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

I like everything but filling the water trough. I have some weird mental problem that makes me forget to turn it off everytime. Even if I put a string around my neck or a red bucket in the aisle. So I make hubby do it.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    I like everything but filling the water trough. I have some weird mental problem that makes me forget to turn it off everytime. Even if I put a string around my neck or a red bucket in the aisle. So I make hubby do it.
    jazzrider- after I flooded our lower pasture one too many times, and continually b!tched about the frozen trough and worried about my kids not having water, my hubby got me a heated Nelson automatic waterer for Xmas one year!!! Now THAT's true love.

I LOVE doing barn chores. I miss them every day.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Ooooh! I would love one of those, at least in my sacrifice pasture. Yet another thing to add to the "If the tax man is good to us" wish list for the new year!

Hey101, you come on over to my farm anytime your hankering to muck, harrow or mow. You're welcome anytime!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.