The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When threads collide...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4926474.ece

Katie Price/"trashy" dressage AND equestrianism in one article! Woo Hoo--COTH worlds collide!
    Last edited by zagafi; Oct. 12, 2008 at 10:07 AM.

GAH! Where is that woman's stock tie and hair net!!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

LOL...well good for her!
    Since I don't compete in dressage, I don't take any personal umbrage at her making dressage more glamorous. Plus, it was an exhibition, wasn't it? I wouldn't expect an exhibition to be dull and bland. Maybe better ridden, but after only 3 months as long as she stayed on....
    I can't imagine sitting the tro with those floatation devices though...I was never blessed by the breat fairy. (or surgeon)
    I'm a dyed in the wool tradtionalist...odd for a former jumper rider, I know. But I do have to agree that *all* equestrian sports could use an enormous boot in the backside when it comes to general public viewership/support. We're never going to make it "joe Sixpack" (lordy how I hate that saying) and easily affordable and do-able by the general masses. Not for showing the mid to higher levels since that's virtually impossible to make affordable and non-time consuming...and especially not in this current economy. So what do other sports do? Glam it up! Make it more interesting for the general public to want to watch. Here in the states it would be nice if our riders got more attention in the media...ask anyone non-horsey who _____ (insert your fave top rider here) is and they'll give you a blank stare and probably guess, "I dunno, a member of the senate?" Ask the same question over in many parts of Europe...there's quite a difference in national/international appeal. This country could USE more recognition for equine sports other than racing and rodeo. And since this country is a whore/slave to reality TV and cheesiness...well, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    (not that I'm personally about to go buy a push up bra with rhinestones on it to ride mind you, LOL)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I read a different article that said she had been riding her whole life... maybe it is just dressage that she started 3 months ago?

WOW As much as I think equestrian sports need cater more towards the general masses and get more positive publicity I much prefer the William Shatner type of celebrity rider. I love dressage because of the traditions, the last thing the equestrian world needs is more ridiculous fads driving up the cost of the sport. I swear the sun is going to strike all the "bling" in the show ring one day and I will be blind for life.

MistyBlue- Really not fun sitting the trot with big endowments

Ouch, I figured as much Denali. My late mare had a *huge* trot with a lot of "hang time" and I've never really been a dressage rider. Even posting her trot caused some discomfort...sitting it was painful as heck. I remember thinking, "How the heck can "A's" hurt???"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Its embarressing too when you forget to change for riding and it seems the days that happen are the days every teen at the barn drags their teen bf too. oy

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

Quote Originally Posted by Denali6298 View Post
    WOW
    MistyBlue- Really not fun sitting the trot with big endowments

Yeah, I wish my endowment was in the form of a trust fund... I would be rich!
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Yeah, I wish my endowment was in the form of a trust fund... I would be rich!
    I'd have...well, 2 dimes.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

A high-dollar glitterati rider followed by a fawning media doesn't make it any less White Trash Dressage. (Hey mods! We need a puking emoticon!)
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    A high-dollar glitterati rider followed by a fawning media doesn't make it any less White Trash Dressage. (Hey mods! We need a puking emoticon!)
    Pshaw. You say White Trash Dressage like that's a bad thing!

WTD is for fun, and her entry in that show was about as far from being serious as you can get!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I tried to pick the video where the camera wasn't being held by a screaming teenage girl......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SU_h...eature=related
    "I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth it?”