The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crap! I just broke my toe! How to do horse things w/it?

It's the little one. No good story even, I just ran into the wall.

Can I tape it to the other one and still put Dansko's on to do horse chores? I have two more to longe today and then I have to feed. Trimming horses all day tomorrow?

Any helpful hints besides amputation or a seeing eye dog?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

steel toed slippers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

ibuprofen and comfy socks?

I dunno....not much you CAN do for it.

Welll....you've got nippers.....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I broke my little toe over the weekend, and still rode and did chores. Cloud stepped on it. Ouchie....

Tape it to at least one of your other toes to stabilize it, and then wear a boot or shoe that keeps it fairly immobile. The looser the shoe, the more it's going to hurt.

I've broken toes on both feet over the years, and I've found that's the best way to go.

Also, ibuprofen and Aleve are your friends!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Amazing how such a little toe can hurt soooooooooo much. I broke my pinkie toe years ago when a horse spooked and stomped it. What worked for me was learning to walk in a strange flat-footed way that doesn't make you flex your foot. I could do a lot of barn work, but riding really hurt for a long time. Good luck, hope you heal soon!!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Stiff soled shoes are your friend.

Buddy taping may help, but it may hurt. You will need to experiment.

Lots of ice and Aleve

I broke my little toe for the 2nd time about 3 weeks ago (first time as a teenager) and rode in a Horse Trial the next day. Walking the course SUCKED; the only shoes I could wear comfortably were my Muck Boots, and it was hot. Riding wasn't as bad and it stopped hurting after about a week.

Buddy taping is hit or miss. Get some big, boxy-toed shoes if you can (borrow a size larger, maybe?) and hit the ibuprofen.
    Click here before you buy.

My broken big toe is in the final stages of healing - yeah. Taping it helps. I found my best friend was my Ariat hiking style boot (can't remember exactly which style). Like somebody else posted - a stiff sole is your friend. I just limped around as I did chores (with a little cursing if I banged it up against something ). I propped it up at night for a few nights with ice as the it would swell more when I was up and working.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I vote for the 'tape it to the toe next to it'. Just make sure that toe isn't broken, too. I did that once (taped 2 broken toes together, unknowingly). They fit together like puzzle pieces and the one healed all wrong. Oh well. They work.

In 4 weeks you will be good as new.

Don't wear Danskos - they slant downhill, which makes your toes take more weight. Wear a low-heeled rugged shoe, like a hiking boot, for best protection!

Ouchies! Feel better soon.

Wear fluffy winter socks? Making sure they aren't too tight? I like having all the fluff to guard against my toes slamming into the side/toe of the shoe Sometimes my boyfriends' socks (the newer, cleaner ones!) have worked nicely.

Hoping it's feeling better soon! I'm dealing with kicked ankle/squooshed foot syndrome.. OUCH. Unfortunately, the personal office dress code I make myself adhere to requires heels, no comfy shoes

Another vote for the tape it crowd. I've broken more toes than I want to count...I went to the doctors for it once, he taped it to the next toe. Being a teen at that time I had to ask, "That's ALL you do for a broken toe???" The reply was yup...as long as no foot bones are broken they just tape it. The heal decently...out of all those broken toes mine still all work.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default Ouch!

Had several broken toes and they are an inconvenience. On top of the taping and the low-heeled stiff soled shoes/boots try to stay on hard ground. Walking in soft earth (like arena sand) will aggravate the dickins out of that toe. When going down stairs try to hang your toes on that foot off the front of the step-just don't fall down the steps.

I only broke two toes once, when a filly shied and jumped right into a tree, smashing my toes between her belly, the trunk and the stirrup.

Woever invented the phrase "nothing as a sore thumb" never had a broken toe, they hurt worse.

I hope you find a way to get comfortable and heal soon.

Be greatful there's no snow on the ground! Colt broke my little toe years ago. He stepped on it and pivoted and it was at a 90 degree angle. Mine took FOREVER to stop hurting. It was a year before I could wear a regular pair of shoes. Fluffy socks and muck boots were my friend.

Jeez EqTrainer you're having a rough week. I broke my pinky toe last Saturday and had to get a fracture boot so nothing flexed when I walked. I couldn't take pressure from any shoes on the top since it was broken by a 1500lb 4 year old so the top was pretty owie. I've graduated to taping it to the next toe and wearing tennies. Still can't take the pressure of paddock boots but the limp's almost gone. Pinkies suck since they're the last thing you step off of and flex so much. Find a hard soled shoe and plenty of Tylenol!
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Ahhhhh but CoolMeadows, in perspective it's not a big deal just very, very annoying!

I taped it to its neighbor and got thru evening chores. Realized longeing the four year old was not a good idea when he went rodeo on me. Jogged everyone with the golf cart after that at one point I had LMEqT's pony on my side and my son had our boarders teeny tiny pony on the other, it was hysterical.

Amazing how paranoid I feel walking a horse on that side!

Thanks everyone, I figured this crowd would know what to do
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Default No clogs around the horses!

My guy stepped on my clog (suede uppers, wood lowers) and then LEANED on it. Crushed my big toe, and I bled like you would not believe (down the 150 foot aisle to the wash stall, to the bath room and then 4 hours later back and forth in the emergency room). 8 stitches later and one crushed big toe and one fight to keep my nail because after 5 shots in the toe I could STILL feel it I got home. The male nurse joked about the "exquisite pain" of a foot injury. Sick guy.
    It happened because I was too lazy to put on my steel toed paddock boots (because I was "only going to groom him").
    Bottom line do not appear in the barn with clogs.
    Other than that it takes about 2 weeks to get back into shoes. Wear open toed sandal with socks pulled forward so there is slack. I got 4 days off of work per my Dr. which I thought was excessive until the pain set in. Pinkie toes might be less painful except that it usually takes the load of the shoe because it is on the end of the foot. Sandals, aspirin, tape it and no visits until you can fit into protective foot wear.

eq trianer- you are most welcome to join the elite club of broken toes
    your in the group of the dinky one--------- haha

so one dinky memeber to another -- it hurts megga time but you can do things
    but it will be a slower pace haha

so all in all its a hive five footy job to you ha ha

Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh, I am a member of the broken pinky toe club! So, ummm, the first time I broke the same way you did, I snagged my pinly toe on the wall while running to answer the phone. AAHHHYAYAYA. That hurt. I had a horse show that next day. Arrrggg. So, then.. a week and a half later, Bugs, my beloved TB mare, stepped on my OTHER pinky toe (she spooked) and broke it too and whatdoyaknow? I had a horse show that weekend too. Oh yeah, it was fun to ride with two broken pinky toes! Take Motrin! Lot's of Motrin! You can take up to 2400mg a day, 3 does of 800mgs! It will help... maybe a glass of wine will too!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook