The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Considering Moving to Charlottesville.....help

Any recomendation for realtors? Areas to avoid? Good Schools vs not so good schools? Can someone give me an idea of real time driving distances?

Looking to find a small farmette (10-20 acres). Want to keep the horse at home. Close enough to schools, playgrounds, swimming pools (kid stuff) that I dont' have to spend an hour commuting to little jimmys soccer practice. 30 min fine, shorter distance are better.

Someone recomended Ivy and points west and south of C-ville.

I know that there are a bunch of people that I've ridden with located south of C-ville in the Keene/Scottsville area, but that's too far south, I think its l;ike 40 min from Grayson to C-ville.

Thanks

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If you can afford private schools, there's a huge number of them in that area. Dunno much about the public education system down there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Nelson County is not as pricey as Albemarle, and is a short drive. IMHO, the best school in the C'ville area is St. Anne Belfield.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

There are tons of topics on this, I'd suggest doing a search but I'm bored anyway so here's my 2 cents...

St. Anne's is a great school, I graduated in '06. However, be warned...if you have kids in the LS (grades 1-4), they are completely redoing it so I don't know how that will affect everything. I went there from 3rd-12th grades. The middle school wasn't my favorite, but then again is Middle School the best time of anyones life? For the most part I only have good things to say about the US...a few bad teachers here and there, but again, what can you expect?

As for the horsey scene, be prepared to pay A LOT for what you want. You might want to look around the Garth Road - Ridge Road. Ivy is a great place to live (we lived there for 10 yrs)...does anyone know if Hardendale is still for sale? I rode at Hardendale West wayyyyyyy back in the day. There are lots of opportunities in pretty much any discipline.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Shouldn't take you 40 minutes from Grayson to town...more like 25-30 minutes max.

Alot depends on your budget. Ivy is probably the nicest area, but also most expensive. Meriwether Lewis is the elem school (my youngest daughter goes there) is a good school but the pressure is on you if you work...most moms are stay-at-home and they let you know that is desireable. Alot of "helicoptor moms" there...but a good school nonetheless. Crozet (also good elem. schools, Brownsville is better than Crozet, IMHO) and Free Union (where I live) are also nice areas. Crozet is growing rapidly and developers are quickly ruining it, but Free Union is still pretty much undisturbed. Again, prepare to pay for land of any meaningful size. We've had no problems with Henley MS and Western Alb. HS.

Earlysville, north of town, is also nice. I dont' know as much about the schools in that area.

Scottsville may be slightly more affordable (nothing in Albemarle is cheap anymore). We lived there for almost 10 years, and while not as upscale as Ivy, etc., there are good folks there. Scottsville Elem. is a nice little school, but STAY AWAY from the Esmont area. Yancey Elem is the worst Elem in the county, IMHO.

Private schools...there is St. Anne's. I don't agree its the best, but it is the most expensive. I understand St. Anne's has some fairly low scores going on and the kids there get in just as much trouble as the public school kids...only the parents have the money to get them out and cover it up. Covenant is good. I've heard good things about Tandem. Charlottesville Catholic is supposed to be very good, but it only goes through 8th grade. It is the most affordable of the private schools in the area, though.

I'm not crazy about living or raising kids in town, but the city schools are actually quite good. But, you have a huge mix of kids in the schools and you have to be careful of what area you're in. There is only one high school in the city. But from what I understand, they have very high testing scores and seem to really have their act together.

Can you tell I'm raising children in the area?

Of course, this is JMHO. Good luck!

I'll pipe in for north of town since others have the s and west down pat.
    For public schools, Albemarle is the best around, then Fluvanna. Orange and Green are okay until you hit high school.
    I have to tell you a story about Louisa. A friend was going to court over a speeding ticket. The guy before him went up to the judge. The judge asks him if he pleads guilty to some charge. The guy answers no. The judge states the case which basically, the guy is busted red handed. So the judge asks him why he thinks he's not guilty. The guy answers ,'Because I can't read'. The judge asks him where he went to school. ' I went to Louisa '. Judge dismissed the case.
    The horse scene north is in Keswick and Somerset. Of course Emily is in Somerset. I live in Orange County. Taxes are way cheap and there's some good farms around here. Again, schools aren't great. BUT we do have Grymes for elementary which is a small private school. Heard good things about it. And Woodberry Forest I hear is for the chi chi. We call them Woodberry Fairies but seem to be good kids with a few miscreants. There's lots of eventers and dr folks living here now. We are taking over!

Realtor: Debbie Blosser horsesnhomes@cs.com

I bought my sweet mare from Debbie & her daughter and she's also a realtor in the area... so, what better combo than a horesy realtor!

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Nelson County is not as pricey as Albemarle, and is a short drive.
    Yes, but I think God hates Nelson County as everything bad, especially horrid weather, seems to happen there!

All jokes aside, Nelson County is beautiful country, and as Artful said, not as expensive to live in as areas closer to Charlottesville. You have to consider the real estate taxes when you buy too, and Nelson is much more reasonable because it has so much agriculture.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by BelladonnaLily View Post
    Shouldn't take you 40 minutes from Grayson to town...more like 25-30 minutes max.

Alot depends on your budget. Ivy is probably the nicest area, but also most expensive. Meriwether Lewis is the elem school (my youngest daughter goes there) is a good school but the pressure is on you if you work...most moms are stay-at-home and they let you know that is desireable. Alot of "helicoptor moms" there...but a good school nonetheless. Crozet (also good elem. schools, Brownsville is better than Crozet, IMHO) and Free Union (where I live) are also nice areas. Crozet is growing rapidly and developers are quickly ruining it, but Free Union is still pretty much undisturbed. Again, prepare to pay for land of any meaningful size. We've had no problems with Henley MS and Western Alb. HS.

Earlysville, north of town, is also nice. I dont' know as much about the schools in that area.

Scottsville may be slightly more affordable (nothing in Albemarle is cheap anymore). We lived there for almost 10 years, and while not as upscale as Ivy, etc., there are good folks there. Scottsville Elem. is a nice little school, but STAY AWAY from the Esmont area. Yancey Elem is the worst Elem in the county, IMHO.

Private schools...there is St. Anne's. I don't agree its the best, but it is the most expensive. I understand St. Anne's has some fairly low scores going on and the kids there get in just as much trouble as the public school kids...only the parents have the money to get them out and cover it up. Covenant is good. I've heard good things about Tandem. Charlottesville Catholic is supposed to be very good, but it only goes through 8th grade. It is the most affordable of the private schools in the area, though.

I'm not crazy about living or raising kids in town, but the city schools are actually quite good. But, you have a huge mix of kids in the schools and you have to be careful of what area you're in. There is only one high school in the city. But from what I understand, they have very high testing scores and seem to really have their act together.

Can you tell I'm raising children in the area?

Of course, this is JMHO. Good luck!
    Agree with most of this. I'd watch out for Crozet though if you want a farmette as developments are going up left and right. It's sad, because 10 years ago when we moved to cville Crozet was beautiful.

On St Annes...Believe me, I'm well aware the school has its problems. I hope the new headmaster will do a lot towards solving some of those. FYI there is a new headmaster for the whole school, MS director, and US director, so a lot will be changing. However. I got a good, solid education. I was accepted to 6 out of the 7 schools I applied to, and once I got to college I found the workload far easier to handle than many of my fellow students did. Whatever its problems, I can say from personal experience that STAB prepared me well for college. My little sister went to The Village School for MS (grades 5-8) which she loved. Both my sisters went to Western Albermarle High School, one all 4 years and loved it. I would be careful about Tandem...you talk about STAB kids misbehaving, I've heard similar things about kids from Tandem too. As for Covenant, it's extremely religious. They pray before every class, before games, etc etc. Some parents/kids at Covenant are just as bad as they are at STAB (this from personal experience). And I don't buy into the cross town rivalry thing, so that does not play into my opinion on Covenant.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    I have to tell you a story about Louisa. A friend was going to court over a speeding ticket. The guy before him went up to the judge. The judge asks him if he pleads guilty to some charge. The guy answers no. The judge states the case which basically, the guy is busted red handed. So the judge asks him why he thinks he's not guilty. The guy answers ,'Because I can't read'. The judge asks him where he went to school. ' I went to Louisa '. Judge dismissed the case.

As a Louisa County High School graduate, I can assure you that we've heard all the jokes before. And I seriously doubt that is a true story But funny anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    As for Covenant, it's extremely religious. They pray before every class, before games, etc etc. Some parents/kids at Covenant are just as bad as they are at STAB (this from personal experience). And I don't buy into the cross town rivalry thing, so that does not play into my opinion on Covenant.
    Well, it's a CHRISTIAN school. I'd expect it to be religious. The Catholic School is also "extremely religious".

And you are spot on about Crozet. My husband is a native and it is so sad to see how much it has changed.

Nah, it was true Bella. He came into work that day with the story.
    And here's an example of school. Bella is very eloquent. So, I don't think it matters what school they go to. They will either succeed or not, depending on the parents and their genetic makeup.

thanks all. I have searched on the C-Ville topic and read everything that came up before my post. Didn't really find much info on schools so this has been very helpful.

Location and the school issue does really become a bugaboo for me. My daughter is Chinese, my hubby and I are Caucasian. I do not plan on moving to the country and having the horse farm of my dreams only to surround her with all white faces. On the flip side I'm not moving to NYC or some other big city in order to be surrounded by multi ethnic faces. Hence the deisre to find something small and close enough. I just need some diversity, preferable some adoptive families around for support (playgroups and etc)

We are weighing the pros and cons of C-Ville against our current location 25 miles south of Fredericksburg as well as Charleston WV (where my family lives). Our local elem school keeps failing the grade for accredidation, so if we stay where we are 1) she gets shipped out to another school and 2) I can't keep the horse in the back yard.

Our current location means that we drive an hour round trip to grocery stores, schools, and the swimming pool (her favorite activity) and we drive 2 hours for a plagroup. But we have a terriffic adoptive families group that gets together every Friday so my daughter gets to hang out with other Chinese children. I'd love to be closer in to all that and have the horse in my back yard.

Chas WV gets us near family, and about 10 to 15 min drive from everything. But the horse scene drops away completely and for major vet work ups I got to haul 3.5 hrs to Lex KY. And haul the same hours for events, shows etc. And no good farriers around locally. There is a slightly smaller group of adoptive families the area, and about the same ammount of diversity in schools as here and C-Ville.

C-Ville I was thinking might be what I wanted, closer to WV and family, mountanous terrain, good horse scene, vets and farriers and shows around. Some diversity and supportive adoptive families as well as the local Univ brings in interesting and more diverse stuff to partake in.
    Last edited by NRB; Sep. 10, 2008 at 01:13 PM.

Charlottesville is VERY diverse. Have a co-worker with a Chinese daughter. I can hook you up with him if you like. It's not like Richmond, if you get my drift. You may have some trouble in Orange, Greene, and Louisa with that but not so much. Again not like Richmond and south.
    The hot spots are Somerset/Keswick, Crozet, Scottsville areas for horses.

Lexington, VA might also fit your description (and be a little more affordable/closer to Charleston as well).

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Nah, it was true Bella. He came into work that day with the story.
    And here's an example of school. Bella is very eloquent. So, I don't think it matters what school they go to. They will either succeed or not, depending on the parents and their genetic makeup.
    Well, can't say it totally surprises me...I did date a few boys from Louisa

And thank you for the compliment...not sure anyone has ever described me as eloquent! Wanna be my new best friend?

Seriously, you are so right. We are lucky there are so many nice schools in the area...alot depends on your child and what they need.

Reading the OP's last post, LisaB is correct, Charlottesville is a very diverse area...your family will have no problem feeling at home here, in just about every area. As a matter of fact, my middle daughter's best friend was adopted from Brazil and her younger sister (3rd grade) is from China. Her mother is from Ireland and her dad is from New Jersey (that is the standard joke around our house...we just say New Jersey is just LIKE another country ). Extremely nice family and we think it is so cool that they are such a mixture of cultures! If you do move to the area, I would be happy to introduce you to them.

I love Charlottesville. I didn't grow up here but I live here now. I went to high school in Staunton (boarding school) then went to Sweet Briar just down the road. My little brother is going to Miller School starting in Jan. My family lives in Harrisonburg and want to send him to a school that will meet his needs and has a good college acceptance rate. unfortunately nothing on that side of the mountain is what they are looking for. They also drove around St. Anne's and are planning on visiting the teachers etc with them next week. When I was in high school I played many other schools here in Charlottesville and can say that the schools are very diverse. Granted I was in a private schools and the schools we played were private but being local and a day student the cost isn't as bad. Where I went to school we had a large population or Korean and Chinese girls. Some of my good friends are Korean!

As for the horsey scene it is great! Many local shows, many nice willing to help people! Just a great laidback kind of community for the most part. You are literally in the center of everything still being close to DC, Richmond, and WV is a straight shot west on 64! I am currently house shopping as well and am finding things pretty expensive around here. As we are considered one of the wealthiest counties in VA. But in the right places you can find just enough land for what you are looking for.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Again thanks so much for the replies they really help.

Odd I had figured that Lexington would be too small town with little to no diversity.....I've only spent about 2 weekend in the town though. I can take a closer look at it though. I'd be right there for the VA starter HT's and rec horse trials.......LexinVa what say you about diversity in Lexington?????

Of course I've spent all of 1 day in C-ville on the mall and was like wow cool place, diverse population. So I am sure that I will need to spend more time there to really get a feel for things. I am expecting the real estate market to be similar to Fredericksburg.

I have yet to locate a Families with Children from China or equivalant social group of adoptive families in Charlottesville. So Lisa and Belladonnalilly if you are inclined, can you ask your friends to email me if there is such a group? PM me for an adress, Lisa this is Nina from the Area 2 group.

Nina B

I know silly, guess why I mentioned Emily?
    Lexington itself is a 2 college town so the diversity will be there. Outside of it though ... And the hospital is frightening. I pray that I don't have a nasty fall at the HC!
    I will email my friend. The downtown mall is 'diverse'. Did you get hit up by a bum or a punk selling crack? Yeah, a real problem there. Check out Cville Coffee. They cater to lunch with the kiddies.