The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AC4H Saves Two Exracers - Their Story

These two lovely geldings, Truth to Power and Toy Thief were saved from shipping to slaughter a few weeks back. Read their story here:

http://www.ac4h.com/T&TStory.htm

Christy Sheidy says:
    "Truth to Power and Toy Thief have both required some extensive veterinary work, none of which has been reimbursed by their former trainers, Philadelphia Park or the track's new retirement program, Turning for Home (which declined to take the horses despite the fact that, as horses that were stabled at the track and had raced there, they were eligible for the program.) To date their medical bills are over a thousand dollars."

Actually, the horses were not eligible for the program.

If anyone would like to know the criteria for putting a horse into Turning For Home, or wants to ask about our policy on purchasing horses from auction, just call and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

We have acquired over 60 horses in the program in the four months of its existence -- horses with no injuries and horses with severe injuries--we take them all, and we are very proud of the national praise we have received for our efforts. We hope to continue with the work we do, following our busines plabn and mission, and we thank Christy for the great work she does, too. Let's all stick together on this, ok?
    Turning For Home, Inc.
    Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
    www.patha.org
    turningforhome@patha.org

Why not just state your policy here?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara L. View Post

If anyone would like to know the criteria for putting a horse into Turning For Home, or wants to ask about our policy on purchasing horses from auction, just call and I'll be happy to answer any questions.
    IMissVixen you raise a very good point. This is public organization and non profit, why not just state the criteria and policies for all to read? Certainly it would answer anyone's questions of interest on what the criteria is for this org. and moreso since it's a new org.

Also of noticeable mention is the footnote at the bottom of this story. Seems these horses according to Pa law were unfit for travel or sale. Besides the offender having reimbursed the 'ransom' for these two and he was traced to be known at Philadelphia Park, the bigger question is will Turning for Home/AC4H be pursuing prosecution to what by all accounts would be an easy prosecuturial case? There is clear evidence according to this story. Is Turning for Home/AC4H interested in working to prosecute?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara L. View Post
    Christy Sheidy says:

Why not?

The horses went from Phila Park to New Holland and were bought by a KB. ac4h bought them from him. I'm guessing Turning for Home only accepts horses if they're still at the track? If you look at their Horse Intake Form you'll find it asks for the barn no., stall and how long the horse can stay at the track.

confirm/deny?

Default prosecution

The vet reports gathered (over $1,000.00) are evidence for the prosecution of violation of PA law. I emailed Barbara asking if she intended to prosecute, I haven't gotten an answer back.

Thank you Barbara for what you have done with this case thus far. I agree we all need to work together and we are.

So is Philly Park working with you on this? Also, what is wrong with the horses you guys saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyminute09 View Post
    So is Philly Park working with you on this? Also, what is wrong with the horses you guys saved?
    THis was my question.

Debilitating injury is not at all specific.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Default Injuries

Digital X-ray's

Toy Thief:

Chip fracture left front fetlock. Also Apical sesamoid fracture. Right front knee shows mild arthritis (shows swelling externally). Right front fetlock shows arthritis and looks a bit ragged.

Truth to Power:

Lameness right hind leg. Right hock shows arthritis and bone spurs. Stifle films need to be looked at more thoroughly. Right front fetlock large sesamoid fracture at base. Previous films taken in April provided by Barbara/trainer for review to today show changes.

Wow they are some serious injuries!! The thing that bothers me though about going after the meatman is that while yes, he brought the horses to the sale, the trainers were the one's who gave them to him in that condition! They knew the damage that they inflicted and also, trust me, THEY KNEW where they were going!

Now is Philly going to press charges and if so, who are they going to after??

Also, I still do not understand why they weren't eligible for the Turning for Home program??

Default What's The Problem Here????

Seems to me that AC4H is to be thanked for saving the horses and that, while Philadelphia Park stepped up to make sure that AC4H was repaid for the horses, someone dropped the ball. Barbara L, WHY NOT state right here for all to see what your policy is regarding the intake of horses? Most horse rescue and retirement groups post their acceptance policies right on their websites, especially those that are 501(c)3s. Actually, transparency is legally required in a not for profit. So why don't you just tell us now what your requirements are? These horses raced at your track, were stabled there and you knew it! Why did you refuse to take them into your program? It seems that horses like these two would need the protection of your program more than most. You call yourself a rescue. If the horses you take in are on only on your track isn't that more of a retirement program? While you speak of "working together" which is vitally important in rescue in order to succeed, why not work with AC4H to help these two poor souls that came from your track? If all of the rescues and retirement programs don't truly work together as partners in an open and honest way, the horses pay the ultimate price.

Kudos to you for taking in 60 horses so far! Where are they? Have they been adopted out? Are the ones with injuries being treated by people who are equipped to do so? When they are ready to move on are they placed with contracts that make sure they will be safe in their new homes? For how long? Forever? Who checks on that? Are the places you send them checked on regularly? Can anyone go check on these horses? Do you have a list of each program that took horses in from Turning for Home and their adoption policies, the horses that went to them and their status? Their books, and yours should be open since you're a not for profit

A friend if mine was told that this place is one of the facilities that takes some of the horse's from the program.

http://nextdancetbs.blogspot.com/

What I don't understand though, is that according to this blog, they put a horse down named Rowdy Rozell because he had a fracture of his hind leg and it wasn't healing properly!

Now they blame the trainer for not sending the X-rays to them for the horse... " his was the result of his previous owners leaving him to languish in their barn for several weeks without the surgery necessary to save him and then sending him to us saying he would recover after several more weeks of stall rest. No matter how many times we asked, we were never sent the x-rays of his leg and so by the time we found out what was really going on, it was too late."

But each place is getting a stipend to help with the care of each horse they take and also a Vet from the track vets the horse out before he goes.......And according to Barbara each trainer has to turn in the horse's papers to her for return to the Jockey Club....

You would think that X-rays would accompany the intake form and papers, or since the program is getting the stipend- WOULDN'T IT MAKE SENSE to have X-RAYS taken by a vet when the horse got to the farm to see the damage that has been done!! I mean other rescues do that (AC4H for example with Truth to Power and Toy Soldier) and THEY DO NOT GET MONEY from TURNING for HOME or any other source for that expense!!

That just seems very odd that the track vet or Barbara L wouldn't give up the x-rays to this place for review....

I just don't understand the guidelines of this program and when you go on the website http://www.patha.org/tfh.htm
    there is NO detailed information about anything...why is it so hush-hush and you have to contact Barbara L for the info.

I am in upstate NY and would love to see something implemented at Finger Lakes like this, but the lack of details published leave me scratching my head...

Daylight is the best disinfectant. If you want us to trust you and your policies, state 'em here.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Default It Gets Worse

Okay, so Barbara L is entrusting horses straight off the track, some injured, to a 21 year old college student who is majoring in Wildlife Management? How many horses? And they get a stipend? How much? Why don't the people taking the horses in get compete vet records? NONE of this makes any sense at all!!! Why all of the mystery? I just checked the websites of several TB retirement/rescue groups and they are chock full of info - retirement forms, adoption forms... Not so with Turning for Home. One has to call Barbara Luna. What's wrong with this picture? It sure sounds like there are horses paying the price here. Do the trainers and owners who turned their horses over know this? Wonder how they feel about it. How about some straight answers Barbara L?

Default Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Daylight is the best disinfectant. If you want us to trust you and your policies, state 'em here.
    I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Default Hmmm...

My friend just emailed me the response she had gotten from Barbara L when she posted on COTH http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=161721 on August 11, 2008... and I quote Barbara...

"Or try Turning For Home, Inc. at Philadelphia Park. We have almost 30 horses in our program since we started it 3 months ago--many are big and beautiful. Some are on our website, and I am still adding more every week. You are welcome to meet me at the track to look at the ones that are still here, or go to sjtr.org, or rerun.org. You can also call reindancer therapeutic riding center to look at about 10 of them. They are in New Egypt, NJ. I've got a lovely 16.2 hand chestnut gelding I am thinking of for you right now that is still here at the track.
    They come complete with vet records, xrays is available, current Coggins, and all background info.!!"

Hmmm... then why did they put this poor Rowdy Rozell down if he came with all vet records and the such?????? DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!!

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, but you can see Rowdy Rozell, he's still featured on the Turning for Home page: http://www.patha.org/tfh.htm

There is a dearth of information about the program and how it works on the internet. I don't think it's a big conspiracy; just doesn't have a big internet presence. There are still a few people who don't run to the 'net for everything!

I will try to answer all these questions as quickly and to the point as I can.
    Our website is a work in progress: I have not finished putting all of the info on it--believe me, WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE AT ALL! Seriously---you are all hellbent on attacking the program, if you are so serious about it, and I am not getting to you fast enough, CALL ME! I spend ALL of my time trying to work on placing these horses, fundraising, etc., not defending the program.

SO:
    1) Criteria for program: trainers or owners who are based at Philadelphia Park for at least 6 months out of the year, and who want to find homes/safe haven for their retired or injured horses need only come to my office, on track, turn in the JC papers, supply me with xrays, digitals, ultrasounds or vet records, fill out one info sheet on a horse(s) that are based at the track. Intact males must be castrated. We do not turn any horse down due to lameness issues. It is a voluntary program, we do not make the trainers come to us, though in ruling that no trainer can send a horse to a livestock auction, we have become a very big outlet for many of them.

2) Toy Thief and Truth to Power were sent to New Holland at the early stages of our program. We did not turn them down--they were never presented to the program.
    Immediately after we found out they were there and had been purchased by AC4H, the racing secretary and the head of the PTHA called in the shipper/trainer and spoke to him, told him to reimburse Christy for the horses, which he did, and warned him that if he (or any other trainer) were ever found to take horses to livestock auctions, they would have their stalls revoked.

3) When we developed the program, we decided not to purchase horses from auction--our best method of helping trainers and owners to perform responsibly is not to buy the horses back after they have already been sold, and the trainers and owners have made a few dollars, but to be here on track everyday, and offer them the opportunity to do the right thing. We try to keep an eye on the goings-on at these auctions to make sure that our horses do not end up there, and if one does, then the trainers will have to face losing their stalls. We made this very public back when those two horses ended up at New Holland.

4) We have a budget. Our budget allows us best to work from here, with horses that are at the track. We hope someday we can open the program up to a bigger group, but for now, with our budget, this is what we do.

5) We send the horses to retirement facilities that I personally check. Rowdy Rozell was not left to languish in a stall at the track, blah, blah, That bit of fiction was placed on their website by a young, overzealous volunteer who really only had the best of intentions.

6) Complete veterinary records DO accompany our horses to wherever they go, and we are on weekly, often daily contact with the farms on all of their conditions. We do not just send them off and forget about them. We choose the farms because they operate under AAEP guidelines for foster/rescue facilities, and we approve of their adoption policies. Of the 60 horses that are in the program, or on their way in, over 17 of them have been adopted, I have the contact info for every adopter. I have photos of every horse before he/she came into the program, as back up.

I'm sure you all have many more questions, and hopefully, I have answered the bulk of them. I will try to get on the stick with updating our website so that no one has to waste his or her time posting on a forum that I may not even get to read more than once week.

Does this clear things up a little?
    Turning For Home, Inc.
    Philadelphia Park Racehorse Retirement Program
    www.patha.org
    turningforhome@patha.org