The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sunset Hill in Woodbine MD is for sale

Gee, for only $5mil this could all be yours:

http://tinyurl.com/4guxf4

According to the e-mail sent to boarders very recently, all staff is being let go except the barn manager, and it will be a small boarding operation until the place sells. Which, hello, is not going to be soon in this market.

Please let it not get chopped up for McMansions.

Does anyone know what "RCDEO" means as a zoning designation?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Wow-I tried a horse there once, and was really impressed with the place-just gorgeous! What a shame they have to sell, I was under the impression that the owner (McCuan maybe) had tons of money. Well maybe he used to until he put it all into that farm! If someone can afford it, they will certainly have an awesome place!

Wow!

There are a ton of boarders there that will be looking for new homes.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Wow! I don't know what to say.

McCuan's money all came from real estate. It was my impression (from having leased there for almost a year), that he had a very short attention span where matters related to managing the barn and the riding business were concerned. Policies and prices and approaches changed every other month ("We're a boarding barn", "No, wait, we do full training only", "NO, wait, you can just take a couple lessons a month", etc., etc. etc.) It was a little crazy making, not knowing what the 'deal' was going to be in 6 weeks. We moved KatyBug from there in May, and are glad to have done so.

As for current boarders, they aren't tossing them out. The lower barn was where boarders were stabled; the upper barn was where Hans kept competition horses. I think folks can stay while the place is for sale, which could be a while.

Does anyone understand what the property zoning designation means? That would be key to whether it winds up as 50 tacky mcmansions in a couple years or not. ????

Wow that place is GORGEOUS.

Though the rearing horse statue near the front sign kind of scared me. Ha ha.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The good news is that the zoning designation basically says the land is not going to be made into a sprawling suburb at this time. The bad news is that they can still put McMansions in there but they will be McMansion Estates with several acres to go around per home.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

FG it is lovely. Yes, the rearing statue is by the front drive, we were very happy it was nowhere near anyplace one would ride. We thought it was clearly chosen by a non-horsey person, all of whom have the same reaction -- that'll spook horses!!

Lex, thank you. The lower density designation might make it slightly less attractive to developers, one hopes.

that place cannot be developed, it's in preservation easement.

I haven't been there in years, but had horses there for quite a while many moons ago. It was lovely then. I loved the old watchman secure-key for the stallion barn. It was a system where they would only activate if you walked through the barn and put one key in X and one key in Y, ensuring that the barns were being checked regularly.
    It was once owned by the Meyerhoffs from Baltimore, and many really cool racehorses lived (and died) there.

Thanks for more info FairWeather. It is a cool place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    FG it is lovely. Yes, the rearing statue is by the front drive, we were very happy it was nowhere near anyplace one would ride. We thought it was clearly chosen by a non-horsey person, all of whom have the same reaction -- that'll spook horses!!

Lex, thank you. The lower density designation might make it slightly less attractive to developers, one hopes.
    Yeah maybe I just have a rearing phobia.... lol... but you are right that *had* to have been chosen by someone that is NOT a horse person!

Beautiful property though, and I hope it doesn't turn into a McMansion city.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default Alright folks

If someone buys that for me, not only will I be their new BFF, but I will let them board there. For free.
    Somebody MUST want to take me up on that!

I'll see if I can find $5 mil in the sofa cushions, Invested1, and will get right back to you when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    If someone buys that for me, not only will I be their new BFF, but I will let them board there. For free.
    Somebody MUST want to take me up on that!
    Well if you throw in a date... Seriously though, I think they made a huge mistake by buying that property. Yes it was a good deal but they obviously pumped way too much cheese into the place without taking the time to think things through.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Gorgeous place. it's only a few miles away from where I grew up too, in Mt. Airy. And even closer to the farm I used to ride at... anyone in that area know if Final Decision Farm (owned/ run by Jeannette Bair) is still around?
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    Gorgeous place. it's only a few miles away from where I grew up too, in Mt. Airy. And even closer to the farm I used to ride at... anyone in that area know if Final Decision Farm (owned/ run by Jeannette Bair) is still around?
    She is still there.

$21,234 Mortgage Wow, that makes my mortgage look downright piddly.

wouldn't it be great if Howard County would buy it and make it the "Howard County Horse Park"!

Quote Originally Posted by onthegrd View Post
    wouldn't it be great if Howard County would buy it and make it the "Howard County Horse Park"!
    The problem with that is that everyone in the equestrian community wants different things and nobody wants to pay for what someone else wants unless it's something they can use. You turn a place like that into a public equestrian facility and I guarantee you you're gonna get all sorts of squabbles from the resident equestrians as well as the out of towners (particularly the AQHA western folks) who demand all sorts of amenities be added.

The place has 4 barns, an office building, two houses, and 3 mobile homes. Three different outdoor arenas -- two with regular fences around them, and one smaller set up for dressage. It has everything that english discipline folks would ever need, although the XC isn't extensive. Some is in the woods, and some is in a big back fenced pasture.

When you say amenities, you mean facilities for folks to hook up living quarter trailers and sanitation, or something else?

There isn't a great dedicated large parking area, that would have to change for it to be suitable for something high traffic.