The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bold emphasis is mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.nixonX View Post
    I've had a string of girl friends over the past ten years. I'd like to get married and start a family. Each and every girl has told me the same thing: I spend too much time on the horses and that they are tired of being in second place...
    Hmmm...the married w/kids thing may be part of your "problem" here. You seem to be in search of a woman who will understand your devotion to your horses (i.e., a horsewoman), while being willing to bear your children. Which would mean long months of her not being able to ride, then having to go through childbirth and then being left at home to care for those kid(s) while you're out and about, doing the horse thing.

No offense intended, but I'd say "no thanks" to that kind of situation, as your previous girlfriends apparently have done.

JMO.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Yeah dude you don't earn enough money for that! haha

FE FI FO FUM

It might just be your charming personality. I think we are blessed to be amongst the most passionate people on the earth and I am not about to give that up for anyone. And for that matter any one who truly cares for you would not have to ask. The scariest thing I can imagine is going through life without the things that bring me joy. Soooo many people have nothing to get excited about in life and it is really tragic.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I'm thinking troll, though not because of the races and shows thing...I know lots of ammy steeplechase jocks that also show...lots of event riders and some in the hunters and jumpers. Totally not out of the realm of possibility.

However, going along with the OP, it isn't them, it's you, speaking from my point of view and how I am with relationships. If the guy doesn't interst me enough, I don't make enough time for him, and he doesn't like it and either whines or leaves. I'm typically not heartbroken, as I didn't care that much in the first place. I figure that when the right guy comes along, I will find the time to make them important to me.

I do also agree with the getting married and starting a family thing...that's a whole nother long lecture on my part, but I'll just say you are starting relationships off on a bad foot if that is the only goal you have in mind. It needs to be first and foremost about the LOVE and RESPECT you have for that person...if you get married and have a family after the love and respect, great, but the most important thing should be the other person.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    FE FI FO FUM
    "I smell the blood of an Englishman!" Wow--if the OP is from England, his accent alone should get him some play.

Not that I'm that shallow, mind you. :: sniffs haughtily :: I"m a sap for a Scots accent.
    :: sighewanmcgregorsigh ::
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

I like accents.. and red hair. but it's gotta be sexy red hair.. like prince harry red hair.

Actually I have a crazy thing for Josh Homme. ohhh yeah.

"I have also found that most males in the horse world are either gay, not yet gay and don't know it, or big fat jerks with major attitudes. Not saying all are just most. To those of you out there that aren't please excuse yourself from that comment."

HUH?!, that's a bit sharp.

Got some real issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    "I have also found that most males in the horse world are either gay, not yet gay and don't know it, or big fat jerks with major attitudes. Not saying all are just most. To those of you out there that aren't please excuse yourself from that comment."

HUH?!, that's a bit sharp.

Got some real issues there.

Not sharp at all nor are there any issues. 75% of the men I see at shows are gay, no issue there, simply an observation. One of my best friends is gay and rides.

Then there is the 17% at shows who are out for the win no matter what, and end up beating horse in ring, behind trailer, yelling at judge, cursing out show management etc. Again just an observation. As long as my horse and I don't get hurt there is no issue.

And yes us women are just as bad, it is simply more obvious with the men as there are fewer of them.

Maybe I should have made my point a little clearer. As long as OP didn't fall in any of those categories then he should have tons of luck. If he does fall there then he probably is a troll like has been pointed out before.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

A trilogy would be referring to all three books of a series, wouldn't it? Like, the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I always called a third, a threequel. No, I don't think that it's correct, but people understand what I'm talking about.

This thread made me wonder (anybody wanna start a poll?)... with all the threads about "who's found a horse/placed a horse through COTH" threads, has anyone ever started a relationship through COTH? It'd be interesting to find out. A cute, romantic story that only COTHers would find amusing

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by josh.nixonX View Post
    I've lost another girl friend to my horse passion. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Maybe I haven't found the right girl. Yet, the story is the same.
    Here's the deal: I am moderately successful, never been married, work my traditional 9 to 5 job. My horses, though, and my shows and races are my passion. I spend most of my free time driving from show to show, practicing or simply riding. If you are a horse person, you know what I mean.
    I've had a string of girl friends over the past ten years. I'd like to get married and start a family. Each and every girl has told me the same thing: I spend too much time on the horses and that they are tired of being in second place. Even though I've tried to take up activities that the girl likes, I am still labled the same way: One Dimensional!
    Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Horses take a lot of time. How do I balance?
    I don't know...this just... If you analyze the content, problem has been identified. Most guys I know, don't keep soliciting advice once they know that. Heck, they usually don't solicit advice at all! (Major warning bell going off.) Nevermind going on about personal failures, in a public forum, to total strangers. (It's getting louder.) Just wearing his heart right there on his sleeve. (Louder.) And wants to settle down and have babies with a woman. (Deafening.)

Troll. Female. Probably attracted to the subject of her post and utterly ignored by him. IMHO.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti legs View Post
    Has anyone READ THIS!!! I want to stab my eyes out with FORKS...NO MAKE THAT BLUNT SPORKS!

WHERE DID U GET THIS INFORMATION!!!

Hush now SL, it's going to be all right (patting SL on the neck). Easy, girl.

Some posters apparently ride their keyboards instead of horses, and have delusions of being psychotherapists. They're partially right; they're psycho.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post
    I don't know...this just... If you analyze the content, problem has been identified. Most guys I know, don't keep soliciting advice once they know that. Heck, they usually don't solicit advice at all! (Major warning bell going off.) Nevermind going on about personal failures, in a public forum, to total strangers. (It's getting louder.) Just wearing his heart right there on his sleeve. (Louder.) And wants to settle down and have babies with a woman. (Deafening.)

Troll. Female. Probably attracted to the subject of her post and utterly ignored by him. IMHO.
    BINGO!

Some posters apparently ride their keyboards instead of horses, and have delusions of being psychotherapists. They're partially right; they're psycho.

Do you date people that have actual hobbies?

That's what helps my boyfriend and I.

I go to college and work a lot then I do my horse thing on top of that...and some other things if time allows and he's fine with that because he has his own hobbies and sports that occupy his time. Or he just catches up with some friends. We love each other so we always manage to find time somewhere to see one another. Sometimes it gets a little hectic but it's worth it in the end.

And he'll even come to the barn or a horse event every once in awhile if it means that much to me. (Which, sometimes works out if I need a groom or someone to hold my horse while I'm bathing him. )

Am I One Dimensional?
    Yes. You exist only on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by eventchic33 View Post
    Not sharp at all nor are there any issues. 75% of the men I see at shows are gay, no issue there, simply an observation. One of my best friends is gay and rides.

Then there is the 17% at shows who are out for the win no matter what, and end up beating horse in ring, behind trailer, yelling at judge, cursing out show management etc. Again just an observation. As long as my horse and I don't get hurt there is no issue.

And yes us women are just as bad, it is simply more obvious with the men as there are fewer of them.

Maybe I should have made my point a little clearer. As long as OP didn't fall in any of those categories then he should have tons of luck. If he does fall there then he probably is a troll like has been pointed out before.
    Race track! Lots of men that are not gay. Maybe transient but straight; been there done that!

Interesting topic!

I have often wondered though whether a horse person is better off with a horsey SO or Non-horsey! I have dated both but ended up marrying non-horsey.

Gave up riding for the kids but kept the horses. Lots of struggles now trying to get in riding time. Lots of complaints from DH about how much time I spend with the horses. blah blah blah Some times I wonder if I would be better with a horsey person. Too late now but I still wonder.
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Bold emphasis is mine:

Hmmm...the married w/kids thing may be part of your "problem" here. You seem to be in search of a woman who will understand your devotion to your horses (i.e., a horsewoman), while being willing to bear your children. Which would mean long months of her not being able to ride, then having to go through childbirth and then being left at home to care for those kid(s) while you're out and about, doing the horse thing.

No offense intended, but I'd say "no thanks" to that kind of situation, as your previous girlfriends apparently have done.

JMO.
    Yes, the thing is, if you want to keep to your present schedule and want to get married and HAVE CHILDREN in addition - you're assuming your wife-and-babymama-to-be will be content to sit back, mind the home, raise the chillens, and not have a life of her own. Hmmmm. wonder why you're not getting any takers? Plus, if you're only 'moderately successful', you can't afford to have a stay-at-home wife and mom. You haven't done the math - on several counts.

I vote the OP is a troll also - since he/she hasn't weighed in again after dropping their initial bomb...

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    I have often wondered though whether a horse person is better off with a horsey SO or Non-horsey! I have dated both but ended up marrying non-horsey.

Gave up riding for the kids but kept the horses. Lots of struggles now trying to get in riding time. Lots of complaints from DH about how much time I spend with the horses. blah blah blah Some times I wonder if I would be better with a horsey person. Too late now but I still wonder.
    I've never had the slightest desire to date a horsey guy - well, with the exception of Viggo Mortensen . I think of how opinionated and controlling horsewomen can be and, even if there is no testosterone-magnification factor, I can't imagine wanting to put up with all that attitude 24/7! It's the same reason I never wanted to date anyone in law school.

Doesn't help the OP, though, sorry. I admit, at first glance I thought you were making that up, but since reading Trak's posts, which make a lot of sense, I reckon you're real after all. Hey, I bet your PM box is overflowing, though, right?
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Oct. 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

This reminds me of the guy that posted some time ago out of the blue... what was his name ? something like hung like a stallion. Anyone remember that one?

I found it http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=82262
    He was accused of being a troll wasn't he? At first anyways.
    Last edited by MSP; Oct. 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: found link
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

[QUOTE=spaghetti legs;3579551]See I'm just stumped... The average length of a novel is 60,000-100,000 words... and if her posts are at LEAST 100 words in length EACH... and she has probably over FORTY THOUSAND POSTS... that's like...... *carry the two.. add five...* a CRAPLOAD OF WORDS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT!!! She could have spent those words on something someone would PAY FOR or people would CARE ABOUT...

[QUOTE]

Ba ha ha ha ha...best thing I have read all day...
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.