The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    Sorry OP but your post has trollishness written all over it. "My horses, though, and my shows and races are my passion."
    Could be just my internet radar going off (I have two daughters). Do jockeys usually show in between races? I guess they could. But I still smell a troll.
    or is it pseudo april 1st? sounds seriously hinky to me too.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    Sorry OP but your post has trollishness written all over it. "My horses, though, and my shows and races are my passion."
    Could be just my internet radar going off (I have two daughters). Do jockeys usually show in between races? I guess they could. But I still smell a troll.
    What makes you think "jockey"? Could be endurance racing, barrel racing, or harness racing -- none of which would have a "jockey" and would allow showing as well. And don't over-fences racers sometimes show?

I wouldn't care about playing 2nd fiddle to a horse(s). Just make sure I have one to ride too!

Oh get off your whiney behind. "My horses ruin my social life" is a massive cop out. Yes, it is hard but unless you are running at the highest levels, there is no reason you can't have a good relationship and ride. I'd look a lot closer at yourself and stop blaming the horses. You are using them as a dodge.

I am a guy as well and I have a string of failed relationships behind me too. I even run in the upper levels of eventing. But I sure as hell know it is not the horses that ruin my relationships.

How do you change? You make sure you make every effort to NOT do the horse thing every moment you can. Skip days at the barn to be with her and don't mention it. If she comes to a show, any time you are not directly involved with YOUR horse, be involved with HER. Go sight see and do things away from the show. Don't make the show about the show. In other words make an effort to actually be involved with her.

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    As a guy at the barn...I can tell you, it's not "a target rich environment".

First off, "You don't scata where you eat". Go with someone at your barn, break up with them...drama, drama, drama! Go with another girl at the barn and the various groups get involved...her friends, the old girlfriend's friends...not good.

I broke my rule and married a girl I met at my barn...now an ex-wife (and she was a terrible & timid rider who demanded "I attend" and ride with her almost 100% of the time...also horrid)...and then the majority of the women at the barn stuck with the "poor girl victim" and I was persona non-gratis.

Better to "shop" elsewhere.

I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Don't confuse my meaning, you still have to be careful in your choices, different barns etc....you just have a larger pool to choose from. Best of luck with your future choices.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    I have to say, I'm sort of thinking troll too.

It's not hard, if you really care for someone, to make someone feel special and valued
    Have to agree with you on BOTH points...

What sort of a reaction do you really expect from such a post?

You will, of course, get a lot of posts praising you for being so 'devoted' to your horses. Many women have been told they spend too much time on their horses by their husbands or boyfriends, and they highly resent being told that quite a bit.

So their reaction to your post is very, very predictable.

It's also quite possible that 'you spend too much time with the horses' is a little bit of a dressed up version of what's going on.

I don't agree that no one can ever meet someone at a barn and have it work out. BUT...if everyone at the barn is self involved, self important and self centered, NO, it's not going to work out well.

I hate to say it, but a lot of horse people have....PROBLEMS. They tend to get EXTREMELY over involved in the horses, and measure EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING by how they ride and what sort of horses to have.

Horse people, quite often, ARE really obnoxious and rude, and seem to care about nothing except their horses and what they win and what they do with their horses. They spend a lot of time alone for a reason, one, because they aren't interested in anything or anyone else, and two, because no one can stand to be around them because all they talk about is horses, horses, horses.

It gets really, really, really old. I've been completely ashamed of how we look to 'the outside world'. I know few horse people would like to admit this, but this can be a very, very selfish, self centered sport and a lot of us have learned we really need to make some changes.

Time away from the horses may be spent in constant horse gossip about so and so at the stable and discussing every little detail of the horse's pooping and peeing.

The bottom line is that people really don't need to hear it. You need to spend time showing them you care about THAT PERSON, not just yourself and your horses...otherwise you're better off alone, because you're just going to make that person feel uncared for and ignored.
    Last edited by slc2; Oct. 14, 2008 at 08:25 AM.

The above post is the biggest load of DRIVELISH GARBAGE I have ever read in my entire life.

That is the biggest, most stupid generalisation I've ever read.

What if I wrote that all motoX riders were drug addicted tattooed young men who only care about showing off to their mates at any cost.

or that all hairdressers are slaggy bimbos who don't have two brain cells to rub together and only care about appearance?

Or all dog people are crazy and only communicate to each other in an elaborate series of yips and yaps.

I feel all stabby now. STABBY.

"Time away from the horses may be spent in constant horse gossip about so and so at the stable and discussing every little detail of the horse's pooping and peeing...The bottom line is that people really don't need to hear it. You need to spend time showing them you care about THAT PERSON, not just yourself and your horses...otherwise you're better off alone, because you're just going to make that person feel uncared for and ignored."

Absolutely...except for a few of the "loons" at the barn, I've been amazed at how many of the women make sure they're spending time with their families. Riding early on Saturdays and home to do things by noon. Friday evenings are pretty empty at the barn...it's "family night". Good for them.

I'm lucky, my wife says she's not jealous of the horses and the time I spend with them and the friendships I have with the women at the barn...and she knows she's always welcome to come with me to the barn or anything horsey, and sometimes she does, but rarely and I don't push....and she doesn't try and drag me to the Kennedy Center for the culture infusion....but I also make sure I'm spending time with her, even just sitting home and watching a video or going out to I-Hop (ack!) for breakfast Sunday mornings (the spinach mushroom omelet is actually pretty good) and then going for a drive.

At barns, too often, the happy and healthy ones are already taken (kind've the reverse of "no good men left") and the girls are either too young, too old or just plain too self-centred and a bit nuts.

I would bet GAMBLER not jockey. But however i am neither and I spend alot of time at CT track. And on my horses. My hubby works 12 hour shifts so I try to ride when he isn't home or sleeping so that when he is I can spend the time with him. By the way my hubby hates horses but loves me so he tolerates it for my sake. I have also found that most males in the horse world are either gay, not yet gay and don't know it, or big fat jerks with major attitudes. Not saying all are just most. To those of you out there that aren't please excuse yourself from that comment.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post

Horse people, quite often, ARE really obnoxious and rude, and seem to care about nothing except their horses and what they win and what they do with their horses. They spend a lot of time alone for a reason, one, because they aren't interested in anything or anyone else, and two, because no one can stand to be around them because all they talk about is horses, horses, horses.
    Has anyone READ THIS!!! I want to stab my eyes out with FORKS...NO MAKE THAT BLUNT SPORKS!

WHERE DID U GET THIS INFORMATION!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetti legs View Post
    The above post is the biggest load of DRIVELISH GARBAGE I have ever read in my entire life.
    :: uncharacteristic snark alert :: There are 19 thousand more where that came from. :: end uncharacteristic snark alert ::
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Maybe you are really ugly.

OVER NINETEEN AND A HALF THOUSAND... HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN????

I vote troll. <shrug>

Relationships are about give and take. If racing and showing are going to take up all your weekends, when are you spending time with your proposed-SO? If you have no time to spend, and make it clear that racing and showing are your priorities, what's in it for her?

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Maybe he looks like a horse.. In a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Well, I am, but...oh, wait, you mean the OP?

Nevermind.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    :: uncharacteristic snark alert :: There are 19 thousand more where that came from. :: end uncharacteristic snark alert ::
    Actually, closer to 40k. I believe there were almost 20k for the previous incarnation, before it was lost in the ether. Pre- "2" for those of you who may not have been around.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Actually, closer to 40k. I believe there were almost 20k for the previous incarnation, before it was lost in the ether. Pre- "2" for those of you who may not have been around.
    Does that mean we sould be looking for a *triquel sometime in the next year or so? lol

* this may be a made up word... but I couldn't think of what a third version would be called, like sequel?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

See I'm just stumped... The average length of a novel is 60,000-100,000 words... and if her posts are at LEAST 100 words in length EACH... and she has probably over FORTY THOUSAND POSTS... that's like...... *carry the two.. add five...* a CRAPLOAD OF WORDS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT!!! She could have spent those words on something someone would PAY FOR or people would CARE ABOUT...

Catersun.. a TRILOGY maybe? does that work?