The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you have believe that communicating with animals is legitimate?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have complete faith in them

20 16.00%
  • Not sure, I am fairly skeptical

49 39.20%
  • No, I have no faith in them whatsoever

56 44.80%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default There was another answer I would have selected

I believe in them and have tons of "wow" stories ... must be true because no one would know THAT unless it came directly from the horse.

I've also had conversations with "communicators" that are just really good guessers.

Generally I use them in conjunction with a problem but never rely on them to give me the answer or recommendations... I use for guidance.

I'm still trying to recover from the last one I used. I've been really confused, frustrated and upset over my 8yr old ottb's lameness. Its been a long and rough road, and I've been considering euthanasia before winter sets in. A friend suggested maybe I talk to an AC, in hopes that maybe it would make me feel good about making the tough decision.

So I did, and I wish now I hadn't.

She told me that our roads are forking, what she needs is a new person open to different therapies to help her. Like t-touch. what this woman didnt know and i didnt tell her, is that i've done practically everything under the sun, including t-touch.

But she said my mare was not ready to be put down, and that she needs a new owner. That I should not be afraid to list her for sale. A young girl will pick her up.

OK. WHAT?! Do you really think that I'm going to list a gorgeous but lame, spoiled and excitable ottb mare for sale?? Are you kidding? What rainbow do you live on cuz I wanna live there too!

So now I'm trying to recover from the guilt I have for even thinking about euthanasia. Now that second-guess has been suggested, I feel like I dont know what the answer is anymore.

No more AC's for me, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    But she said my mare was not ready to be put down, and that she needs a new owner. That I should not be afraid to list her for sale. A young girl will pick her up.

OK. WHAT?! Do you really think that I'm going to list a gorgeous but lame, spoiled and excitable ottb mare for sale?? Are you kidding? What rainbow do you live on cuz I wanna live there too!

So now I'm trying to recover from the guilt I have for even thinking about euthanasia. Now that second-guess has been suggested, I feel like I dont know what the answer is anymore.
    Grrrr. So much for ACs being harmless fun. Thank God you have sense enough not to take her advice!

I'm sorry about your mare. Please don't let some half-baked charlatan make you feel guilty for considering your options as a responsible horse owner.

Quote Originally Posted by roki143 View Post
    I'm skeptical only because I think there a lot of fakes out there.

I do believe some people have a gift. Whether it's being more in tune or aware or whatever, I have had an experience with a communicator that was too true to be coincidental.

I also have had an experience that I could have said as much as he did about what my horse thought.

There are times I can tell that I am way more in tune to what is going on with my horse, therefore I don't want to dismiss that some people can harness these feelings and fully communicate.

I do think we all have some ability to hear or see things that they want us to - I just don't think we all have the time or the energy to commit to it. I think I would also have to pretend to not know what my horses was thinking about me a lot of the time.
    Same here. It's just hard to weed out the real ones from the million fakes out there.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Well, I communicate with my animals all the time, and see no need to hire a middle man.

In the context of your poll, however, in a nutshell, the 'ACs' are scam artists along the order of snake oil salesmen. But, pretty much harmless fun (except when the AC starts making medical diagnoses or dietary recommendations), far be it from me to tell people how to spend their hard earned money.

It's also fun to do, as a parlor trick sort of thing.

I didn't respond to the poll because I thought there should be more options. I have worked with an animal communicator who got everything right, so I trust her. I also know there are a lot of fakes out there. But the ones who are good are really good.
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    I am so sorry you have to go through that emotional roller coaster.

It may seem that AC's are harmless but I think it's more damaging than anything- even when the intent is to do right.

The entire concept- PLAYS- on human emotion. How can that ever be a good thing? Like hypnosis which started out as a parlor trick- literally historically- and now is all of a sudden a 'science'?

Your animals do not think like human beings. I love it when AC's say they go by 'pictures'. So how does it work when the horse 'tells' them through pictures about an injury? Do they get to play charades? The whole thing just cracks me up and yet makes me sad...

My "favorite" incident was several years ago when a horse got loose during the night and went missing not far from me.
    Went up to help with the search, as I am familiar with the area.
    An AC was confidently informing the owner and her connections that the horse was in a small barn with goats, and theorizing that the horse had either been deliberately hidden, or mistakenly taken in by someone who didn't realize she was being looked for.
    All the searchers were instructed to keep an eye out for a small barn with goats.

Except that as it turns out, when the mare was found, it was at the foot of a retaining wall next door to the barn, and she had clearly walked off it and broken her neck shortly after her escape, judging from the degree of decomposition...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.