The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you have believe that communicating with animals is legitimate?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have complete faith in them

20 16.00%
  • Not sure, I am fairly skeptical

49 39.20%
  • No, I have no faith in them whatsoever

56 44.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    "Dobbin says he loves you"
    "Dobbin says you don't give him enough carrots"
    "Dobbin says there was a time in the past when there was a scary person hitting him with a whip"
    "Dobbin does not like whips"
    "Dobbin says he has had a badly fitting saddle in the past. The current one is not perfect but it is much better"
    "Dobbin says give the nice animal communicator $50."

That's tremendous.
    We used one in our barn a few years ago. Sweet lady, but did she expect me to be THAT impressed when she looked deeply into the eyes of my 16-year-old gelding - who had raced up to the age of 11 - and pronounced: "He is an old soul."
    I do have to give her props for convincing my trainer that her horse did NOT want to do Rolex only two months after being diagnosed with a brewing tendon. "He doesn't feel he's ready," was the official comment.

I have had a lot of luck with them in the past...different ones and many different horses and dogs. I am sure there are some that are total fakes...I used one that I didnt like much...but I have used a few others that gave me information I am positive I did not feed them...and they would have no other way of knowing...and no it wasnt that my horse wanted more carrots...lol
    Cowboy Logic, Walk In The Park, Blue, Jacob & Missy- and now Junior and Betty too!
    www.theplaidhorse.com

To the question posed, yes I believe communicating with animals is quite legitimate. We do it all the time, whenever we deal with animals. We communicate through voice, body language, aids, tools like tack, food, etc.

But to the implied question that goes along with your research, no, I do not believe Animal communicators are legitimate. They are simply observant, and fool people with too much money to spend on their animals that they know what the animal is "thinking." It's not difficult for an experienced horse person to read a horse's body language and discern a lot from its surroundings. Animal communicators impress people with observations like "your gelding had a tough start with a mean owner." Yeah, often we don't know everything about every past owner of a horse, so such a statement comes as a relief to the current owner, who can now blame all the misbehaviors on a past bad owner. Or the Animal communicator observes, "your mare really appreciates that you keep her stall so clean." Well duh, what horse wouldn't?

Animal communicators certainly do their homework on a horse and owner's history (whether the owner knows it or not) before spewing impressive factoids like "your horse likes an ocean breeze." Gee, the show results from a coastal show are on the internet so it was simple to see that the horse performed really well at a show near the ocean. And when most people contact an Animal communicator, they give some level of detail about what the problem is, like "my mare whinnies incessantly," so even if the mare isn't whinnying incessantly when the communicator is there, the communicator knows to come up with some stressful story, like "your mare still misses her foal" or "the foal she never had." It's so easy to fool rich people who really want to hear something that confirms their horses' personality quirks aren't caused by nutrition, stable management or training.
    Last edited by Dixon; Oct. 13, 2008 at 06:47 PM.

I think it depends on who you find - there are some crappy ones and there are some very good ones.

I have used a couple of them and the insights were amazing and they had only seen a picture - neither one of them ever saw the horses in question.

I have a great one I use shes GREAT the first time I used her she told me things about my two horses that no one knew and I told her nothing about my horses just name and age

SO yes I am a believer lol BUT I am sure there are some BSers out there

Why is this on the dressage board?

Flakey OT stuff goes in Off Course.

BTW You ask

"Do you believe that communicating with animals is legitimate?"

We all communicate with animals but not in the way you mean. You might want to rephrase your question

" DO you believe in flakoid psychic whacko communication with animals?"

Default mostly no faith at all

but even I can read the ears pinned back, nipping at his side, or when I scratch the right spot.
    [I'm pissed, I have a tummy ache, That feels good]
    I wouldn't waste a dime on those Quacks willing to give a reading over the phone if you have a valid CC.
    like a broke clock they could be right twice a day.

so if my questions are more than I can read, I usually ask the vet wassup.
    Last edited by armandh; Oct. 14, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
    more hay, less grain

None of the answers really fit. I do think that this is quite possible, though I think a lot of the people who offer their services are not really skilled.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Can you give examples of the insights? Could be I just haven't run into any of the good ones.

We've combined your multiple threads on this topic into one here in Off Course.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Baloney!! Something that makes people feel good about themselves, it truly has nothing to do with the horses.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I'm skeptical by nature and training. But I also think there are things I don't understand, so I try to be open.

I've used 2. Both were long distance, done by people who had not seen the horse in question. I sent both a photo and bare info about the horse - age, color, sex, name.
    One's report was superficial and could have been guessed.
    The second report was fairly detailed and relatively accurate. She described some pain issues that the horse had been treated for, described the horse's training in fairly good detail and the horse's reactions to it. I didn't know what to expect, but have to say I was surprised by the level of detail and the authenticity. I would use this person again if I felt the need.

That said, I'm sure there are some nutjobs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
    Can you give examples of the insights? Could be I just haven't run into any of the good ones.
    I noted one in my post:

I was having a reading done by someone in AZ. I'm in PA. My farrier was there at the time of the reading. The AC noted foot soreness. Turns out my horse was a bit off after his trim. He was ok in a couple days, just cut a hair short. I forgot the farrier was coming, didn't even leave a check. I found it odd that she noted foot issues when there weren't any until the farrier came. How did someone in AZ know my horses were getting their feet done in PA when even I forgot it was happening (until I showed up and found the bill on my stall door)??

It's energy that is "read". Just like blood rushing to a wound and the area feeling hot (heat/swelling in a leg of lame horse etc) energy surrounds an area of pain or extreme emotion. Someone who is sensitive enough to "feel" or "read" those energies can translate what your horse is "saying". So in my horses case, he had foot pain due to a short trim and the AC was able to sense that. My other horse was fine from a pain perspective but 2 things were brought up--I just think they were the opposite of what was said.

The AC said my other horse really liked the little dark mare that lived next to him (there was only 1 mare at a farm of 7 horses and she's black--no way for an AC in AZ to know that!). In fact, I think he sorta doesn't like the mare. He doesn't hate her but he does pin his ears and send her away all the time Every once in a while he'll be nice to her but it's rare. The other thing is my horse is an extreme worry wart. He has anxiety issues. Something that is more than obvious to me. Something I have dealt with for years. I asked why he was so anxious. The AC came back with "he wants attention, wants to be the center of attention, wants to be fussed over and loved". I do agree he is that way but any amount of time with him and you can tell he's really more "don't forget me, hey I'm here, please acknowledge you see me because I'm worried you'll forget to feed me".

She wasn't wrong exactly. Her translation was opposite of my observations. He is a complicated horse and I have no doubt he was all over the place with his "thoughts" as that's all part of his anxiety. Some days he really does just want attention but most of the time he really is nervous. She never met him so she didn't really know.

My readings were free so maybe I'm a little more lenient with the information given
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Maybe if this experiment in this links works, it can explain animal communication?
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/1...ht-helmet.html

Regardless 2tbs, who is this AC who does readings for free? If it is free I wouldn't mind trying out...

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Maybe if this experiment in this links works, it can explain animal communication?
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/1...ht-helmet.html
    An implant that allows you to send emails messages directly from the "little voice in your head"? What a great idea! There's no possible way that could go wrong.

Can't vote because though I have used and been amazed at the AC answer, I don't have 'complete faith'...not in anyone ....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

What Reynard Ridge says.
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

I have no more faith in ACs than I have in Mrs. Olivia, Christian psychic and palmist, who has her sign out on Hwy 378.

I often wonder why people believe in things for their horses - homeopathy, chiropracty, etc. - that they'd never consider using on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I believe that there are a great many things in this world that I do not understand. I cannot rule it out.

Pehaps: Things that we cannot now explain, but eventually will be able to. However, people claiming psychic abilities CAN be tested - and fail, at most having results no better than one would get by chance.