The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you have believe that communicating with animals is legitimate?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have complete faith in them

20 16.00%
  • Not sure, I am fairly skeptical

49 39.20%
  • No, I have no faith in them whatsoever

56 44.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Animal Communicators (Poll)

I'm doing a research paper/presentation on Animal communicators- primarily horse ones- and I was wondering what the general consensus of them was. If you guys could just take a minute and respond to this poll I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you could include any reasons on why you chose what you did that would be even better. Thanks so much!

I'm skeptical only because I think there a lot of fakes out there.

I do believe some people have a gift. Whether it's being more in tune or aware or whatever, I have had an experience with a communicator that was too true to be coincidental.

I also have had an experience that I could have said as much as he did about what my horse thought.

There are times I can tell that I am way more in tune to what is going on with my horse, therefore I don't want to dismiss that some people can harness these feelings and fully communicate.

I do think we all have some ability to hear or see things that they want us to - I just don't think we all have the time or the energy to commit to it. I think I would also have to pretend to not know what my horses was thinking about me a lot of the time.
    Last edited by roki143; Oct. 13, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

We are ALL horse communicators. Some of us are more dictators but still...

Is it fun?- maybe some comic relief?- yeah sure I'll give you that much. I've had my horses 'read' by a couple different people. It was not without some entertainment value

Yeesh - I cannot remember, who did the *cute* AC day here on COTH? She was AWESOME!

I believe that there are a great many things in this world that I do not understand. I cannot rule it out.

That was Tidy Rabbit, I believe. Yeah, for entertainment, it's a hoot. Most of us are "animal communicators" to one degree or another. There may be rare persons with a true gift, I don't know. Too many charlatans willing to separate you from your money!

I chose I do not believe in them at all. But they're out there and they get steady work...most likely because pet owners and *especially* horse owners seem to be heavily populated by folks who really anthropomorphisize their animals. Not a bad thing in theory.
    ACs are in business giving human emotions to animals for the owners of those animals to make the owners feel better or have fun. As long as they don't diagnose anything or suggest diet changes, tack changes, health issues, etc then they're pretty much harmless. They've found a money spending niche and are working it...which is just good business sense.
    But seriously? Horses really do not care what color their blankies and tack are (and sometimes ACs don't realize horses can't see certain colors, LOL) or what their names are or whatever other nonsense. Not only do they not care, they never even consider it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm fairly skeptical. and voted that way.

I think there are a lot of people out there who rip off anguished owners.

I do believe in ESP and the Duke Univ. studies on ESP, and I believe animals can communicate with humans if humans are open to them.

And some people are more attuned to animals and nature than are others.

But like the animal communicator hired by some NYC publicist to communicate with her horse who died her in GA, if you cannot figure out that the BO who is on the 3 way phone conversations (multiple) neglected the horse and contributed to her death, then you are only communicating with the owner's wallet, not her dead horse.

There was a woman here in SE GA who was said to be good at AC, but she dumped her husband and moved with her trainer to Montana. Guess she didn't communicate so well with him.

Why can't they just sell snake oil and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Why can't they just sell snake oil and be done with it.
    Indeed, if they have this power, why have they not applied for the $1 million offered by JREF?

If they "don't need the money," why do they charge for their services?

I've found that the few who are not conscious frauds and do it for free are "unconscious" cold readers who just are animal lovers and have deluded themselves into thinking they have this "power."

As I stated on another thread, I made this offer to an animal communicator: Come out to my barn. My horse is in the barn. My horse knows me. (All identifying stables signs removed, of course! LOL) If you are able to communicate with horses, I'm sure that my horse will "tell" you he is "mine." I'll be waiting in the house. Let me know what he says. For some reason, the "communicator" delined my offer to communicate with my horse.

If horses can "read people's minds" by picking up on signals we don't even know we are giving (e.g., Clever Hans), I am quite sure it is possible that there are people who pick up on signals that horses give (without either the horse or the person knowing they are doing it).

But I am very skeptical about people who claim to read a horse's mind remotely.

But ALL OF US are communicating with our horses all the time, and they communicate back
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I seen changes in behavior that are directly related to the communication - so, yes, I believe.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

If by "animal communicator" you mean a person using one or more "senses" beyond the physical then it's pure Night Soil, Bovine, Male.

If you mean a highly refined ability to read an animal's body language, position, breathing, etc. then there are many of them around, some more adept than others.

Before you spend money on a "communicator" for your horse, though, try this small test. Separate the "communicator" from the horse by means of an opaque barrier (wall, sheet, etc.). Now hold your credit card in front of your horse so they can see it. If the "communicator" can tell you the number then pay them.

G.

I have no faith in them whatsoever as far as being able to psychically communicate with animals that haven't even got the proper brain parts to formulate language. But I do have enormous faith in their ability to tell people things that they may want to or need to hear, and so it's hard to condemn them altogether. Therapeutic pseudo-communication that effects peace of mind or simulates the answer to a burning question is better than a fretful owner worrying herself to death.

See 'cold reading'. It may not be magic and it certainly isn't really "communication" between anyone but the reader and the one being read, but it seems to make people feel better. *shrug* I look at it as cheap psychotherapy. And yes, I've tried it and nope, didn't do a thing for me. The "communication" was vague, mostly incorrect, and could've been guessed at by an astute Pony Clubber.
    Click here before you buy.

I think I want to be an animal communicator. Cold reading people is not that complicated a trick, but doing it really well is an art form. Doing it with animals is too easy.

John Edward has to at least tailor his routine to different people. I could give every horse owner the same spiel, and be right or at least believable 98% of the time.

"Dobbin says he loves you"
    "Dobbin says you don't give him enough carrots"
    "Dobbin says there was a time in the past when there was a scary person hitting him with a whip"
    "Dobbin does not like whips"
    "Dobbin says he has had a badly fitting saddle in the past. The current one is not perfect but it is much better"
    "Dobbin says give the nice animal communicator $50."

I have seen way too many videos from James Randi on youtube to believe in it.

However, I still think it could be fun to see what someone says my horse says.

I think I want to be an animal communicator. Cold reading people is not that complicated a trick, but doing it really well is an art form. Doing it with animals is too easy.

John Edward has to at least tailor his routine to different people. I could give every horse owner the same spiel, and be right or at least believable 98% of the time.

"Dobbin says he loves you"
    "Dobbin says you don't give him enough carrots"
    "Dobbin says there was a time in the past when there was a scary person hitting him with a whip"
    "Dobbin does not like whips"
    "Dobbin says he has had a badly fitting saddle in the past. The current one is not perfect but it is much better"
    "Dobbin says give the nice animal communicator $50."

PS. Your horse told me to tell you that you have put the same post all over the place which annoys people and don't forget carrots on the way home.

I replied with the "Not sure/fairly skeptical" choice but it's really much more broad than than. I am a paranormal investigator when I'm not working my full time job or spending time with my horses. I believe there are unexplained things out there but I remain skeptical of things until I absolutely can't find a logical explanaition--then I allow the possibility of the unexplained.

A good animal communicator will tell you what your horse or animal "says" but also refer you to seek treatment from your vet or other professional before jumping to conclusions. For instance, I had a reading done once and I was told about foot pain. Oddly it turns out the farrier was there that particular day and my horse was foot sore (just a little) after the trim. Now, how did someone in AZ know my horses were seeing the farrier in PA when I even forgot? I forgot enough to not leave a check that day so it wasn't as if I mentioned it then forgot.

Still though, I didn't immediately think something was wrong. I wondered what it was about then I found out quickly once I was there to assess the situation. I do think the fact that she knew my one horse was having a foot problem was pretty neat but I wouldn't put 100% faith in a reading. It's really energy that's picked up, not a language as in "my foot hurts" so the translation could easily be off.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

since it seems at times that there are two horses living inside the animal I bought, I'm actually trying that out. My friend is a psychic and so I'm letting her have a stab at him.