The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaCrew View Post
    We are lucky - we have a property to keep our horses happy and fat - property is ours, not bank's. If things will go really bad, Puika will need to remember his main purpose and work on hay instead of tractor, but that's about all. Vet is our friend and I can relay on her just in case. So horses can feel safe uder our wing in better and worse.
    Ditto for us. I really can't imagine the economy becoming so fractured that I can't support my horses. However, if for some unforeseen reasons, I cannot maintain my farm, I'd walk a mile down the road to a neighboring Hutterite Colony (similar to Amish but because of our climate, rely on diesel not horsepower) and let my horses into their pasture. They have a completely self-sufficient lifestyle. I'm not so sure they'd welcome the Dutch horse considering they are of German lineage.

Kung Fu Buckshin,

It sounds like you've had some very bad luck, but most people aren't like that.

Have you been given notice to move? You may just want to let the foreclosure happen before making major decisions. As a tenant, after the forclosure, they will need to give you at least a 30 day notice to move. If the housing market is so bad in your area you may get an opportunity to buy the farm after the foreclosure. Or maybe do a lease option or just a lease. Don't give up yet. Things could work out in your favor.

Make plans in case things don't work out in your favor, but pray for a miracle in between. We're living in historic times and NOBODY knows what types of opportunity may open up to you. Even the experts don't know what tomorrow will bring. The rules are all changing right before our eyes. Be open and try to have some faith that this MAY be your chance!!!! Don't miss YOUR OPPORTUNITY by a closed mind and sour attitude.

God Bless
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

For those that may be having to pull up stakes and move, this article might be of interest:
    The economic storm sweeping the country has left Americans with few places to hide

But those looking to hunker down might want to head to Texas, where they can get the best value for their dollar...

..."Texas, as a whole, is one of the few economies that's performing extremely well because of the energy and technology sectors," says Andrew Gledhill, an economist at Moody's Economy.com. Plus, he added, military bases in San Antonio have continued to draw a steady steam of personnel and federal employees to the city, spurring widespread job growth.
    BEST AND WORST BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK CITIES
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

So what lies ahead?
    Earlier this week I interviewed a veteran banker at a major Wall Street investment firm, seeking an insider's view on what caused the current economic crisis, what life is like for people on Wall Street, and what's ahead for the economy.

On condition of anonymity, the banker provided a blunt assessment of the risks taken, mistakes made, and the toll of the financial destruction. Here are the highlights:

Q: What's the cause of the economic crisis from your perspective?

A: There is an awful lot of blame to go around on Wall Street, in Washington, and in the irresponsible behavior of individuals. But stepping back, the critical error was that everyone [thought] there would not be a substantial, nationwide decrease in real estate prices. The whole subprime debacle was predicated on the fact that people said, "Well, this borrower is not really credit worthy and can't afford the house, but in four years it will be up 20 percent or more."
    COMPLETE ARTICLE:
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Here's today's blog from TB Friends, a TB rescuer who also helps people keep their horses at home if possible. I'm afraid California is pretty much an example of what's going on around the country:

Thursday, October 16th... Blame it on the big moon. Patti Lu and her broken thumb. Becky Coombs and her broken big toe. Jessica Talbot with 5 stitches in her hand. Sheldon Thomas and his puffy eye. All of these injuries in the last few days. Caused by horses. How long is this big moon going to last? Makes a person afraid to leave his house. And just how many episodes of Law And Order are there? Each evening a new one.

A two year old filly is coming to us soon from a race track. She too is badly injured. Her sire is Old Topper, and she will be the 10th Old Topper to make the long walk up our driveway.

A five year old gelding is coming to us soon from a race track. He is severely injured. His sire is General Meeting, and we have lost count of the many horses by General Meeting who have made the long walk up our driveway. In the dozens for sure.

A five year old mare is coming to us soon from a race track. Her sire is More Than Ready. The mare earned decent money as a race horse. Only a few years ago she would have been much sought after as a broodmare prospect. But now she has no place to go. Almost weekly in California there is news of another breeding farm out of business.

On Tuesday I told you about 44 horses at various locations in Northern California who are in big trouble. These 44 horses need new homes fast. So far Tbfriends has placed 10 of those 44. Winter on the way, and feed costs continue to rise.

On Monday I met a family not far from us. Dad, mom, three kids. Two horses, two dogs, with several sleepy cats on their couch. The smells of freshly baked bread coming from their kitchen. Coupons on their table. Buy one Stagg chili, get one Stagg chili free. They love their two horses, both thoroughbreds. The 15 year old daughter events with a gelding who once had a bowed tendon, but now he can jump over the moon.

Dad has a job and mom has a job. An ill family member has moved in with them, and all of their income is spoken for. The family decided their two horses must go. They could not even afford a farrier.

On Tuesday I watched as the two horses were loaded into a trailer and moved to their new home. It is difficult to describe the sadness.

I made a deal with the new owners. The old owners are welcome to visit anytime.

As I was leaving mom handed me a loaf of brand new bread. My truck was filled with the most tempting smell. Half of that bread was gone in a flash.

Yesterday came an e-mail from the 15 year old daughter, and I have permission to share this part: I love my parents so much. They are embarrassed and I wish I could make them feel better. Today before school was weird without horses to feed. I cried and so did my mom. I had to come home from school early because I was so upset. My mom had cleaned the barn. His halter was hanging from his stall door. God I miss him so much.

When I told you about those 44 horses on Monday who need new homes, there were at least 15 e-mails saying those horses should be euthanized. Why keep them alive? I think many readers of Tbfriends perceive needy horses as old broken down bag of bones.

But the majority are nice horses with owners going through difficult times. One young lady sold her truck just so she could keep her thoroughbred gelding. She now rides to work with friends, or she takes the bus.

Not sure how this economy thing is going to play out. Three trailers filled with doomed horses have left Northern California for Canadian slaughter this week. Lots of sound, well bred, nice riding horses in those trailers. No doubt lots of very sad former owners.

Maybe after the election it will get better. At least that is what people keep telling me. Well okay then...

Joe

Located in Northern California, TB Friends is dedicated to the rescue and placement of horses that have been abandoned or neglected. Usually these horses arrive from the race track. The horses obtained by TB Friends are often saved from a trip to rendering facilities in Mexico or Canada.

When possible TB Friends takes care to select horses well suited to make the transformation to riding mount or show horse. Our proximity to the bay area race tracks, along with the throwaway nature of the racing industry, unfortunately results in a situation where there are many horses in need of rescue, and therefore many horses from which to choose.

My cell number is 530-383-2120.

Our mailing address is:
    Joe & Cathy Shelton
    15891 County Road 92C
    Woodland, Ca. 95695

You can send your letters to tbfriends@aol.com
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

I pray it doesn't come to that but I would cease all lessons and shows, stop feeding supplements and injecting monthly Adequan, and move my big guy to pasture board. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy with that arrangement.

If it got really bad and even the above scenario weren't possible, I would euthanize him. I wouldn't want to risk sending him down the road and having him run through an auction. He's a big draft x and would be a killer buyer's dream come true. I'd sooner face a swarm of angry hornets before I sent my boy off to that end.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

A sign of the times - the article in The Horse Newsletter today

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12903
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    A sign of the times - the article in The Horse Newsletter today

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12903
    I read about that a couple of days ago and I think it's wonderful. Folks that are struggling to feed their families and can't afford the $500 to have a horse put down are faced with having to run them through an auction as a last resort. This option spares the family the guilt and the horse the terror of going to slaughter. Still sad but at least this way the horse can go peacefully and with dignity.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

I can tell you all that we're getting more neglect calls than normal - as well as more calls from people wanting us to take in their horses. At the same time, we have foster homes telling us they can no longer foster. And adopters who are returning horses they cannot care for.

*sigh* Things are getting tougher!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com