The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scurffy elbows?

So my gelding has scurffy elbows, flakey skin... I have tried Eqyss Microtek and MTG, to no avail. (MTG seems to make it worse, actually) He doesn't like it when I curry his elbowstoo much, since it is a bit of a sensitive area.

Suggestions? TIA!!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Many years ago, when I was in Pony Club, they told us to use petrolium jelly.

My guy gets that sometimes. I just spray my default skin spray on him, which is a combination of the brown Listerine, a little Calm Coat and water. That seems to clear it right up.

The weird thing about my girl's scurffy elbow is that it's ALWAYS the left one. I wonder if that's the side she prefers to lay down on. ???

I like the sound of that formula, pharmgirl. Will try.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Lori B- haha, that seems to be the preferred side for my boy as well!

I love that combo for all sorts of skin stuff. I started out with just a Listerine/water combo for rainrot and such, and mythical suggested the Calm Coat. I started adding a little of that, and I think it helps prevent things from getting too dried out.

Quote Originally Posted by texang73 View Post
    So my gelding has scurffy elbows, flakey skin... I have tried Eqyss Microtek and MTG, to no avail. (MTG seems to make it worse, actually) He doesn't like it when I curry his elbowstoo much, since it is a bit of a sensitive area.

Suggestions? TIA!!
    My vet told me it's because they rub their elbows with their hooves when they are sleeping and not to worry about it.

I tried everything under the SUN for YEARS. Inside and out. You name it, I tried it. It wasn't until I double dosed with Equimax that it cleared up
    Whole Horse Hoof Care
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Barefoot When Possible, Shoes When Necessary
    kNOw hoof, kNOw Horse.

yes, this issue was also covered in the NTW thread.
    If topicals won't clear it up try a double dose of Equimax. Could be from Neck Thread Worms.

I would bank on the Equimax working since you are in Texas and worms are really bad down here. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Interesting!

I will try to topical suggestion, and like you said PurplNurpl, will try the Equimax if the topicals don't work. Will have to try and work that out with the BO though, since she deworms everybody 1x month with Ivermectin (not a policy I agree with, as I think it's too often, but she requires it...)
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I tried the DD Equimax routine hoping that was it and it wasn't. Did get rid of some worms though. I'm going to have to try the Listerine/water. Where does one get Calm Coat?

Quote Originally Posted by texang73 View Post

Suggestions? TIA!!
    if hes not mats or little or no bed then change to a deeperbed and bank your sides
    often people will have hock hip and elbows due to lack of bedding this can be anything drom scurffy type skin to open sores its pressure points when the horse lays down or gets up
    and can also be seen if the paddocks are bare and out 24/7 with little or nothing to eat and little or nothing in the paddocks other than rock hard surfaces

of couse the horse doesnt like it as it not juust sensitive skin but lack of skin covering the point-- of elbows hip or hocks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    My vet told me it's because they rub their elbows with their hooves when they are sleeping and not to worry about it.
    see my post your vets wrong-- lack of bed makes it open to issues on point of hock hip and elbows

Default AgSilverBalm

Hi there,
    I agree with the post on the petroleum based products, I know that I used to use vaseline and it worked great but left me fearing that I was not using the correct product. Since working for EquiFit I have started using the AgSilver CleanBalm, which has worked wonderful on my gelding that I am leasing as he gets rough spots on his elbows and the CleanBalm clears it up and allows it to stay soft, while keeping away any kind of bacteria.
    The AgSilverCleanBalm is a petroleum-based ointment for use on shallow cuts, nicks, rubs or abscess drains to control and reduce bacterial, fungal and viral infestation.

Melissa Hill
    EquiFit, Inc.

Hannahsmom- I got the Calm Coat at a local tack store. I believe Valley Vet and Dover carry it as well.

It comes and goes on my horse. Corona seems to help!