The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mattes Pad For Sore Back???

I have a big thoroughbred with a VERY long back that tends to get sore easily. My saddle fits properly so I know it is not the problem. Has anyone had success using a mattes pad for a sore back?

Assuming the saddle isn't a factor (may I ask, hopefully without sounding snarky, how you KNOW it fits properly?)

You really need to determine why it's sore before you can know if a nice cushy pad can help. If the cause is in the hocks or stifles or feet or how he's ridden, then the pad isn't going to help.

He does have mild changes in his back so I am assuming it is a combination of that and the muscle building work I have been doing. I am hoping that the pad will provide extra cushion for his spine and back muscles.
    Last edited by CPEventer; Oct. 16, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Yeah, make sure it isn't any riding habits or something. I found after years that my gelding's tendency toward a sore back was because I sat too far back into my cantle. once my instructor pointed it out to me, and I practiced canting my pelvis farther forward... voila, no more sore back!

Also a chiro evaluation may be helpful, that always makes my horse nice and fresh and happy.

On another note, he has a higher wither, and I bought a ECP correction pad (sheepskin, similar to Mattes, but a bitt more economical) and my gelding loves this pad.

He does have a high wither....and that is where the changes and soreness are. Thanks!

How "just right" does your saddle fit? If it fits JUST right, then in all likelihood, a Mattes pad will be too thick and will make the fit of the saddle too narrow, contributing to the problem.

In that case, something thinner, like a thinline pad, might be more suitable.

If the amount/type of work has made him sore, then IMVHO it would be better to back down on the work and then start working up again, more slowly. If that means a few days of light hacking, or light lunging, or even just 30 minutes of brisk handwalking, that will give his muscles a chance to recover while still having motion (and the easy motion is very beneficial in healing sore muscles). You don't want a "super comfy cushy pad" to make his back soreness "go away" in his mind, and potentially create another problem.

I'm not saying a Mattes, or similar pad, isn't a good idea. It just depends. I'm merely trying to explain more about why it might not necessarily be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by CPEventer View Post
    He does have a high wither....and that is where the changes and soreness are. Thanks!
    Ok, now we're talking Why are his withers sore? What "changes in his back" are you referring to? Muscle development (atrophy??)? Arthritis?

The changes are arthritic right below the wither

Ah, ok, now we're getting even further

Has a chiropractor evaluated him, with your vet's approval? Do you have xrays to know *exactly* where the changes are? How far under the saddle are the changes?

Nothing about the saddle should be touching the spine, nothing about the pad should be pressing down on the spine. If the gullet on your saddle isn't wide enough, it may be impinging, laterally, on the spine juuuust enough to cause a problem. Do you pull your pad up into the pommel? Does it stay there? A pad squishing down on the wither, even a little, can make some horses really cranky. I won't use a pad that isn't contoured to follow the withers, ever, for this very reason - not on my normal-withered WB gelding, and certainly not on my HIGH-withered OTTB mare. All her pads I can use on him, but only a few are REALLY high enough to stay out of her way.

I am working on having a chiro come out to look at him. I do have the x rays. The changes are right under the pommel of my saddle. I make sure to always pull my pads up into my pommel and they stay there. I like that the mattes pad have a "gullet" built into them and thats why I was specifically asking about the mattes.

I can understand the spine-free feature of the Mattes pad

However, it still stands that if your saddle is a "perfect" fit, IMHO the thickness of the Mattes pad will make it too tight, adding to your problem

Because of the issue you describe - arthritis - I don't see it likely that a comfort-type pad is likely to help. It might, if you have a too-wide fit and can use a really thick cushy pad.

I have been incredibly impressed with using gabapentin to treat my mare's chronic on and off back pain. You may want to give it a short trial and see if it would help your horse. If his pain is neuropathic, like my horse's was, all the padding in the world is not really going to help.

I have a horse that is back sore. I am working with a vet and chiro. I thought about the Mattes. I called Trumbell Mtn to order one. They recommended the Thinline saddle fitter instead, even though they didn't sell it. It is the sheepskin half pad with the Thinline inserts. It is absorbs shock, the Mattes does not. It is even cheaper than the Mattes. I love it and so does my horse!