The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mythical Man

I just came across this story through the Scrolls of Equus Blog. Has anybody else seen this! I must be living under a rock and have never heard of this Mauritius Turf Club. For those that havn't heard the story, some kids tortured and killed a retired race horse named Mythical Man. They cut his throat, then lead him around in circles laughing and having a great time while he bleeds to death. They videotaped the whole thing and put it on You Tube. (and the video is still there, it hasn't been removed,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDr_s8AzYfU, this video is extremely horrifying). I can't believe that these people can do something so terrible.

I did some searchs on the story and they claim this is the normal way to dispose of no longer usable horses there! I also looked up info on the turf club since I have never heard of it. It is on an island somewhere near Madagascar. Being geographically challenged I will have to look at an atlas to pinpoint where this is.

Does anybody have any insight into this racecourse? Are horses treated that badly there in a regular basis. I've seen a lot of sick animal abuse things, but this has got to be one of the worst by far.

Articles about the trial
    http://speakouthetruth.wordpress.com...ghter-lawsuit/

http://speakouthetruth.wordpress.com...-in-detention/

Here is another forum discussion on the subject.

http://www.freeracer.co.za/LiveTalk/...2/Default.aspx

Two things,

1) This act of barbarity has nothing to do with racing, other than the fact that the horse is an ex- racehorse. So I'm not sure why you posted it here in this forum, as opposed to say the Off-Course forum. It will undoubtedly swamp any racing related discussions.

2) If you really are interested in knowing about racing in Mauritius, the racecourse at Mauritius, Champ de Mar, is one of the oldest in the world, and one of the most picturesque. It is also one ofthe most isolated, as I'm sure you've discovered by now that Mauritius is an island in the Indian Ocean. The MTC holds an "International Day" of races where many of the top jockeys in the world are invited to ride.

Sorry! I was just trying to find out some info! I was ASKING about the horses treatment at this racecourse. I am not trying to bash horse racing. I have just never heard of this racecourse and sometimes laws for treatment of animals can be somewhat lax depending on the country. And before someone jumps on me about how animals are mistreated in America too, I know that animal cruelty laws are not perfect here either.

I doubt this discussion will swamp any other racing discussions as I have not even seen it posted anywhere on any other forums or main bulliten boards it must not be all that important to people.

So again, sorry for posting it here. Moderaters please feel free to close, delete, or move this thread if need be.

Edited to add that just because a racecourse is the oldest, most picturesque, one in the world doesn't mean that it might not have the same good and bad elements that any other race course would have.

Once again, this has nothing to so with racing. The horse was retired from racing over a year. I dont quite understand why you insist on dragging Champ del Mar and the MTC into this. Do you seriouly think that the racecourse or the MTC condone these actions? They are no more responsible that any of the tracks in California or the CHB were responsible for the senseless murder of a retired TB mare last year by some wankers in Cali who chased her around a pasture and ran her over with a truck.

I gave you info on the Champ del Mar racecourse and the MTC because you asked for it in your previous post ...... ("Does anybody have any insight into this racecourse?".....) and the only connection between them and this disgusting act is in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Once again, this has nothing to so with racing. The horse was retired from racing over a year. I dont quite understand why you insist on dragging Champ del Mar and the MTC into this. Do you seriouly think that the racecourse or the MTC condone these actions? They are no more responsible that any of the tracks in California or the CHB were responsible for the senseless murder of a retired TB mare last year by some wankers in Cali who chased her around a pasture and ran her over with a truck.

I gave you info on the Champ del Mar racecourse and the MTC because you asked for it in your previous post ...... ("Does anybody have any insight into this racecourse?".....) and the only connection between them and this disgusting act is in your mind.
    Okay, first I am NOT insisting on dragging the racecourse into this! Sheesh! Sorry, I am totally ignorant about this place. I have never heard of the track until this came up. I am trying to learn more about the track which is why I posted here (thanks for the links by the way). I am not blaming the track. I see it posted on Scrolls, I start to search, I see a horrifying video, I come here for info since I thought it was a good place to get information. I don't know why you are so defensive. I have no connection between the MTC and the horse killing in my mind, I am not bashing racing, the MTC or anything. I'm not trying to start a race bashing thread or a MTC bashing thread. I just DID NOT KNOW.

archangel Guest

Default Seems We're Lost In What's Important

I've been following the ping pong game going on about the end that came to Mythical Man. It's not about a race track as Drvmb1ggl3 would have you believe and I think baby goose has some legitimate questions she wants answered by anyone who might know.

But, for me, I think you people are lost in what happened to Mythical Man. I've done quite a bit of research on the MTC and Champ del Mar. It would seem that the people of Mauritius are very fond of their horse racing and not so fond of the MTC involvement in their horse racing. But this all the background and can be found if you google it. Back to poor Mythical Man who was butchered, for no clear reason, by a bunch of unruly, cruel (you can tell by the laughing on the video) heathens who apparently had nothing better to do than torture a horse who had retired and was given to them by the owner to take care of. He started 26 races and although he didn't earn any money his pedigree included some of the most famous sire lines that horse owners/trainers die for - Sadler's Well, Northern Dancer, Nearctic, Nasrullah, Round Table. And, Gelding or not, he deserved a better death than the one he got. He raced hard for his owners, even though he didn't finish on the board. He was just taken out into the woods and slaughtered.

Now for Drvmb1ggl3, you either don't own/train/race horses or you just don't care - or you ate some of the meat that came from Mythical Man. And if this is how horses are treated there then they should be banned from coming to the US to race to "make the big money" which is why they come here. You're too worried your little, but 2nd oldest track over there to be overly concerned about some poor horse that gave his all in every race he ran just to please some idiot like you and the ruffians that murdered him. As for baby goose. I hope this gives you some info for your questions.

Hopefully the neanderthals that murdered this wonderful animal with meet the same fate at the hands or hooves of another beast of burden out in the brush who has his/her sights set on revenge.

ansojulienne Guest

Default Here is your answer

I am from Mauritius, love horses and know what goes on there very well.
    The 4 individuals are now being prosecuted and the prosecution is supported among other, by the Mauritius Turf Club..

Unfortunately, the laws in Mauritius are not stringent enough but this incident has also pushed the government to prepare new legislation on the subject including the strict regulation of who is able to own a horse in Mauritius. There are no rules for now so anybody can own a horse and quite a few people get horses for free after their retirement from the races, use it for themselves or try to make money out of it.. while treating the horses very badly, not feeding them properly etc.. unfortunately, everybody has allowed this situation to continue.. and it should not.. so I am glad that this story is making things change.. and it will encourage people to denounce those who mistreat horses..
    Otherwise the Mauritian people love their horses but there are always some out there who care more about their money than anything else or don't give a dam about animals... sad reality of life...

Hope this answers your question...