The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My X-Mas List...

My family is quite large so we do a grab bag every year. I have to put non-horsie things on that list because my family isn't horsie and usually has issues getting me horsie stuff. For some reason they are anti horsie gift cards too (I give emails/websites and phone #'s to places but they just don't like to get me stuff from those places).

Anyway. This year I do NOT want anything but horsie stuff. I have some things that will be specific to my mom-she at least is capable of callilng places and describing what I want/ordering things with my input as I'm not a kid and no longer expect my gifts to be surprises

What I need are suggestions for my grab bag person who will probably not be ordering from Dover or any of the other places I suggest. Any good books/must reads out there - fiction or educational? Any must have horse movies? Any easy horsie stuff that a horse person must have that doesn't need purchased at a tack shop??? I can't believe it's this hard to come up with ideas on my own but nothing is striking me at the moment!
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Well you could ask for diapers...therma care heat pads.. some Industial size KY jelly (if you have a gelding), rubber gloves... and see the looks you get.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

OMG I don't think I could even write that on my list

I think my family would remove me from the grab bag list and ban me from x-mas dinner

Besides, I like to give that list to my BF when he's running out the door to the grocery store: "honey, will you pick up some KY, rubber gloves, desitin, gauze, rubbing alcohol, and a bag of peppermints when you're at the store?"

So that would be a no to adding a new crop and some spurs to that list as well then????
    ';;;;;;; clique

Don't mind HL. She lives in and for the gutter

Hey I didn't even mention.... assless chaps... I thought I was doing good...

(yes I know they are ALL assless but it would look cool on the list)

__
    __|__
    _____|_____
    _______|__\|
    __________| \
    __________\______________/

*HL runs back to the gutter*
    ';;;;;;; clique

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    So that would be a no to adding a new crop and some spurs to that list as well then????
    Nope. I save that for my co-workers: "what are we doing for lunch today? I dunno but I'll drive!" ffwd until we get in the car: "oh, nevermind my whips and spurs in the back seat...those are for later" I could make this VERY "dirty" but I'll be nice...I know youngin's read the board and I could get us all in much trouble!!!

However, I could add them to my xmas list and the family would probably be ok with buying them as they, unlike me and HL apparently , don't live with their minds in the gutter! Unfortunately, or maybe that's forutnately, I don't need a new one of either. I have 2 show crops and 3 schooling crops. My horse doesn't need spurs so the pair I keep in my tack box are more for decoration than anything.

What I do need are leg wraps, quilts, breeches, show pad, show girth, saddle soap, grooming products, etc. Those are the things that will be on my list for my mom. Seems like simple enough stuff but it's not for the rest of the family--too hard when you don't even know what the items are!!

Books-things they get at Borders or Barnes and Noble or even order from Amazon, movies they can get at Best Buy and things of that nature are generally what suits them. I'd be tickled with a Dover gift cert so I could get what I want/need but no such luck as years past would indicate

Visa gift cards that you can spend anywhere you want! A lot of people think gift cards are tacky but to me, a great gift! I would rather get those than some gadget or trinket that I hate or will never use. If they don't do gift cards, think generic clothes that you can wear at the barn and they wouldn't need to go to a tack shop. If you live in a cold place under armour is a good choice, leather warm gloves, socks, heaters, vests, wool hats. boots, etc.
    Good sunglasses, cool but durable shirts, shorts, sunsxreen for the non winter places! Go online and find some books you would like and suggest the title and author. Gift certificater for a spa for a massage or manicure and pedicure or hair cut.color are always appreciated by us outdoors types. I don't know your price range, but what a bout a new camera?
    Good intentions by relatives that aren't in the loop will end you up with horsey figurines and wall art!

I have actually gotten a couple nice statue/figurine thingys but you can only have so many of those right

I so prefer gift cards too but they want gifts to be opened which is fine, but it just doesn't work for me. I'm totally set on clothes. I have so many clothes I honestly don't know what to do with them all!!! I've already gotten rid of over 20 bags (large lawn and leaf sized bags) of clothes and have probably another 20 or so to go!!! Goodwill LOVES me right now

Wonder if I could convince them to give me cash?? They could get small bills, put a few in each box, and wrap them up! That would solve the "gifts to open" issue as well as give me a chance to buy what I want

Do you live someplace cold? I always LOVE it when I get good cold weather gear as gifts. It all winds up being worn to the barn. It can be as simple as good wool socks or as $$ as some technical fleece (Patagonia R1 honestly keeps me going in the winter.)

oooh new under armour would be a great thing to get.. I loff my underarmor tights and shirts in winter
    ';;;;;;; clique

I'll 3rd the warm clothes. It never hurts to have an extra pair of gloves, warm socks, or snow boots...especially for when you visit Logan

You can also ask for things from Walmart/Target. Then return them in exchange for a gift card, and then have that to use the next time you need medical supplies or lots of treats...

That is what I did last year. My stepmom bought me all kinds of ...lovely decorative candles...from Target. I took them all back 12/27 and used the store credit to buy enough candy canes and rubbing alcohol to get me through the next 2 years
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

If your relatives are into amazon or Borders, then this won't take you long. Simply ask for a gift card. Also, amazon has horse supplies on their website, so ordering some of the things you are looking for is but a click away. I browsed around there for blankets and hoof boots yesterday. Just type in the word horse before what you are looking for.

Here is an amazon link for horse polo wraps:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+wraps&x=0&y=0

horse grooming kits
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...g+kits&x=0&y=0

horse grooming supplies
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...pplies&x=0&y=0

horse saddle pads
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...e+pads&x=0&y=0

horse blankets
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ankets&x=0&y=0

And around here at least, Borders has a good supply of horse books. However, they are one somewhat shaky financial ground, so if you get a gift card, use it fairly soon.