The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Red face Hm, fair pay for judging?

Really, what do you think? I really don't know if this is 'right.'

I am by NO MEANS a 'real' judge. I absolutely adore judging little local schooling dressage stuff, and have been asked semi-regularly to judge the dressage portion of schooling CTs. I really, really like doing it.

I do tend to write a lot of collective comments, and spend a couple minutes with each rider at the end of each test... the organizers know by now to build in a little bit of 'padding' in each segment because sometimes I write too much or talk too much... But I've scribed for some amazing judges, and just really enjoy it. They keep asking me back, so I mustn't be entirely awful...

Being a completely non-licensed, non-professional, when asked a 'fee', I defer and express my belief that I am non-licensed/certified/whatever and say basically, "if you'd like to contribute to my travel expenses, or give me a 'tip' TERRIFIC! But I don't *charge.*" And I don't. Sometimes it costs me to get to these shows, but I really do enjoy it. (I'd do the training in a heartbeat if I could afford the time, travel and $$$ it takes. It's just WAY out of my reach. )

So today I do one of my most favorite shows. This amazing 3 Phase that is really professional, positive, well run, (good food!) and has a FABULOUS "First Time Out" division/venue. This is my third year I've been asked back. I ADORE this show. The dressage ring overlooks one of the most recognizeable and scenic vistas in the state. The color is at peak (or just past.) This year the weather was IDEAL! (it's been, um, a little FRIGID in past years. Last year's windchill was down around 20F, which is FREAKING COLD for 2nd week Oct... even in Maine!)

43 or so rides... as always, I'm humbled and inspired by the riders. Such wonderful, kind horses... I really do love it. I even kept (mostly) on time! We were less than 10 mins late TOTAL!

But... (of course there's a BUT, no? I wouldn't be posting otherwise.) I'm asked somewhat at the last minute to judge the Stadium as well. OK, so I did it last year too. And I don't remember, but I think the first year... I sort of plan on it. Makes for a long day with the more than 90mi one-way travel too. Literally, get there by 08:30, pull out the driveway past 1700. Still, I don't have to do the *math*, just decide what is a runout, what is 'crossing the path' etc. OK, so I've boned up on that even though dressage is really my forte...

Hostess/manager is lovely with gas $$. More than generous, really. BUT, for the "extra" time and effort for the stadium... I got...

TWO BARN KITTIES!!!!

I have the two most lovely adolescent male grey-tiger-tabbies. Sadly my fearless killed-a-muskrat-double-his-size barn kitty went on walkabout a month ago and never came home. He was neutered, fed CANNED food daily (like the housecat even knows what comes in a can!?!) was wonderful. But we all know there is no such thing as a "lost" cat. I hold out hope he's rehomed himself.

So when I called about times, I asked the hostess/organizer how she was, her answer "Up to my eyeballs in cats." Funny you should mention that... Timing was perfect. The outside critters are feeling like the barn and grain bins are looking far more toasty and comfy then their current frosty digs. Show mgr had a few too many felines... two being of perfect age and already horse-and-dog savvy. Timing being everything and all...

These two wonderful--but a little befuddled--boys rode home with me.

They are safely ensconced in their NEW barn digs with canned food, (of course) covered fleece kitty bed in the loft, sleeping bag in a box, etc. etc.

BUT, they need names.

I'm thinking they need EVENTING names, given the circumstances.

One is more 'peachy' than the other, both are grey tigers, hazel eyes, nothing really remarkable other than lovely personalities. Quite fine, triangular, 'siamese'-ish heads, actually...

SO... whaddya think, fair pay? Or not???

NAME suggestions for the 'eventing' kitties?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Sounds like a fair deal to me. A (cat's) lifetime of mousing and ankle rubs in exchange for 1 day of judging.

You could name them after horses: Teddy, MacKinleigh (I know I had to spell that wrong), Poggio, fill in your favorite.

Or after scores: Double and Clear.

Or obstacles: Ditch and Water.

Or after BNRs/BNTs. Somehow, the idea of reactions when you comment idly in horsey circles something like "Bruce Davidson killed a muskrat at my barn last night" amuses me.

How about Stadium and Oxer ?

Halt and Salute? As to the fair pay issue I guess it depends upon whether you wanted cats or not. Kind of like the guy who tipped a broken down race horse to a waitress and was on the Today show.

Rolex and Burghley? (not 100% sure on the spelling of Burghley)

The weather HAS been lovely up here this October, hasn't it?

Judge and Jury

Double and Treble
    Dollars and Cents (what you didn't get paid in )

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

As to the fair pay issue I guess it depends upon whether you wanted cats or not. Kind of like the guy who tipped a broken down race horse to a waitress and was on the Today show.
    I remember that!

I think *I* probably did pretty well. Not sure the poor boys entirely agree... They WILL, soon. Just a big day in a little kitty's life. (one lounged on the passenger seat purring, the other hid for half the trip, then plunked himself right on top of the seatback and surveyed all the THINGS *moving* out there! )
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Well, that's a new one for a judge's pay

I love names Oxer and Judge that were recommended

Big kitty lover here; sounds to me like you were very well-paid indeed for your services!

No suggestions on names. Our kitties have always "told" us their speaking names in fairly short order. (Their true names, of course, are known only to them, as Old Possum says. )
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Nickel and Dime?

We have a cat named Pretty Penny. And two coal black brothers named Ping and Pong.

For the record, I think you got a GOOD DEAL

Simon and Randy.

Weldon and Skinny

Waldorf and Stadler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I like the theme of naming after great eventer people/horses. Ones that roll off the tongue easy. I like Bruce and William- (Davidson and Kit Fox?-is that his name? I am a hunter person- sorry!) Congrats to the new kitties!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Nickel and Dime?
    Perfect!

Murphy and H2O.

I think you got a great deal, but in the future, if you have to stay late, they can at least buy you dinner.

And how about Water and Ditch? The more orangey one can be Ditch.

How about Cooper and Trak
    for the Coup and Trakehner style jumps?