The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I try not to lean into the turns and keep my weight on the outside.
    The same driving the mowing tractor.

I agree that cars don't leg yield well at all and that talking to them and whoa's doesn't help them stop.

I definately drive the same way I ride - FORWARD!

My working student has told me that many times.

Downshifting for more power is a half halt, not the brakes!

The brakes are for a serious WHOA.

I hate driving because most people drive like they ride... with the emphasis on the brakes instead of the gas pedal.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

yes, I do...

My OTTB rubs off on my driving- he likes to GO, can make super fast turns (when he wants to), and doesn't believe in using brakes

I'm not sure how my driving compares, but when I'm on a plane and there's turbulence I deepen my seat and ride it out. I tell myself the plane is "spooking". Light bumpy turbulence I treat as a sitting trot.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnalynn View Post
    Well, (head slap) THAT would explain all those dang tickets!

"Look officer, I wasn't speeding, I was just trying to make the strides."

Hahaha! Donnalynn I'll to remmber to say that next time! Though hopefully there isn't a next time.

OMG no. My car is a disaster. Hay bits all over, 6-7 changes of jackets/polartec for any weather situation for layering, all sorts of horse treats, auxilliary tack trunk, gumballs in a huge container, cereal for munching on the drive home...Ted's tack box is totally organized, I am religious about cleaning everything. I obsess over every transition so as to maximize fluidy and healthy joints and minimize damage ( I am a DressageGeek after all).

Ted is an OTTB. I drive my car at 50 mph on cruise control to maximize gas mileage.

I don't think Ted's mileage changes in the same way.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I also noticed that I often find myself sitting in a 2 pt while I am driving, and that when I go to stop, I sit deep, sit back and set up before I actually step on the brake....of course i also count strides when walking on a sidewalk to "jump" over the cracks. Yeah, my mind was preset to "horse thoughts" before I was born..I had no chance for a "normal" life..

Oh yeah, as for the speeding tickets...you always need to keep legs tight and your eye out and be prepared for the scary horse eating police cars that might pop out from the side so that you can do a quick half halt to slow down!

I like to imagine I'm flying a spaceship when I drive, judging by my driving habits so . . . no. I'm really, really timid when riding - not too fast, I wuss out at bad distances and circle, etc. Driving though, whooee, fasten your seatbelt and hang on! Although I did once yell "GADDUP" at my car with a friend in the seat (while trying to beat out a red light, incidentally . . .) and was mocked about it many, many a time.

No. Not at all. While I do use many riding techniques while driving (half halts, leg yields, clucking) (what? doesn't everybody?), I am known as the fast driver in the family. Whenever I get in a car I'm already 10 minutes late to be someplace else, and I'm likely to make up the time on the trip. Not on the horse. My Little Pony is neither little nor a pony, but given half a choice I WILL make the pony strides down the lines (much to my trainer's disgust).
    Incredible Invisible

I do not ride and drive alike at ALL. 99% of the time, if I'm driving somewhere I'm probably running late - I am perpetually late. A typical morning drive to work for me consists of lots of lane changing and cursing at other drivers. I do not flip them off, though, unless I have a VERY good reason. So yeah, I'm that person impatiently switching lanes to try and move my way up.

When I ride, I have nowhere to be fast. I like slow and leisurely. Cantering around on the buckle is my preferred style of riding! And I don't swear - well maybe sometimes.

I pat my truck.

'Nuff said.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by TBlitz View Post
    yes, I do...

My OTTB rubs off on my driving- he likes to GO, can make super fast turns (when he wants to), and doesn't believe in using brakes
    hmmm, this is the way I drive Maybe that's why I ride an OTTB???

I do pat and cluck and talk to the car, and I also count strides (and I don't even jump anymore, but those telephone poles, you just can't help it ). I guess they are sort of similar, although my riding has more impulsion. In driving, I'm always going for gas mileage maximization. But smooth, fluid transitions (gear changes), etc., yes, sort of like dressage. Although I do LOVE the forward impulsion and also extensions in dressage, but in the car, I'm the person who actually does drive the speed limit all the time, probably one of the ones the above poster, along with 90% of other drivers, passes. I'm probably one of the few people who has been criticized by both of my parents for driving TOO carefully. It would drive my Mom nuts that I could be annoyed at something and not have my mood affect my driving at all - you could easily tell her mood by her driving.

Speaking of driving and dressage, has anybody else ever mentally "schooled" a shopping cart at Walmart or the grocery store? Boy, could those things use some dressage.

ummm...yeah. On the road, I drive like everyone is an idiot. At shows, in warm up (where it is nearly as crazy if not more so than DC area traffic), I ride like everyone's horses are idiots. I've been ran into a few too many times in warm up, so I've figured out that I really, really need to not only hold my line, but also be aware of those who AREN'T. I actually learned THAT from driving, as (touch wood, touch wood, touch wood) I've yet to be ran into on the road (touch wood, touch wood, touch wood).

My barn's trainer does. Ex-eventer, racehorse rider. Don't get in the car with her....
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom