The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sail Away View Post
    OK, here is my dumb question. Why don't they just have an elastic strap at the bottom of the jods to go underneath the boot?
    They do - or at least they did back when I wore jods (long, long time ago!). So we had that to keep them from riding up over the boot and garter straps to help keep the jods in place. I don't like the way jods look without garter straps - just looks so much better with them on.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by Riding4Fun View Post
    So recently I have thought of some questions that if I ever asked would make me look pretty stupid. However, since this is COTH and none of yall know who the heck I am, I am free to ask my ridiculously dumb questions and I do not care if yall laugh.
    And anyone else with other questions, feel free to ask them too....
    Ask away and don't feel bad about asking. Everyone has questions and it's a great way to learn new things .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Funny thing about the elastic girths is it traditionally goes on the left for rider ease, however its proper place is on the right to further prevent the saddle slipping and ensure a proper fit for the whole ride. Long ago girths had no elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Stop and think about this for a moment. If you were right handed, (like MOST people are) what side of your body would you carry your sword on? You need to pull across your body to get a sword out of a sheath, so it would be on the left. Besides, you wouldn't be able to mount from the left, and swing your <right> leg over, if your sword was on your right.
    Take that a step further, and you wouldn't be able to tighten your girth while mounted, on the left side, because that's actually where your sword is <if that caused a problem>.

However, I doubt anyone carrying a sword ever had an elastic girth, anyways!
    Yeah, ok I had a dyslexic moment late last night. I was thinking left and saying right... It happens more than I care to admit. And I do realize they never would have had elastic girths. The point I was trying to make was about the tradition of everything from the left. Apparently my 16 hour work day got the best of me... my apologies.

I think also the elastic on the left comes from a time when leather girths were made from a tri-folded piece of leather. This left an open gap where the leather could potentially pinch skin. With the elastic on the left the gap faced to the back and could not grab the skin and cause sores.

When I was a kid we had several such girths at my barn, but they are not ever made now that I can see, so I don't think it makes much of a difference anymore.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are."
    "Pocket Aces" Vegas
    "Sergeant Pepper" Pepper

Default Here is a question....

Another thread made me puzzle about this, if a vet gelds a horse, and one or both has not 'dropped' yet, wouldn't the vet know?

Quote Originally Posted by cbv View Post
    Another thread made me puzzle about this, if a vet gelds a horse, and one or both has not 'dropped' yet, wouldn't the vet know?
    Absolutely. Having watched this done numerous times, the testicles are removed individually, cord clamped, etc. Further, before ever sedating the would-be gelding, the testicles are palpated to be sure both can be felt. There is a story in these parts about a vet, in mid-castration, calling in another bet because one of the testicles was very small and slid back up in the body. Between the two of them, they were able to complete the job.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    have you ever ridden without the throatlatch done up properly?? I'm thinking not... The throatlatch helps to keep the bridle on the head.
    LOL, apparently not since my horses like to keep their bridles on. I usually have to wait for them to drop their bits from their mouths. Besides I would think a tight throatlatch would choke them - then again, I hate tight necklaces as I don't like thinking I could be strangled.....I know, I am strange in my ways of thinking.

OK, here is my dumb question. Why don't they just have an elastic strap at the bottom of the jods to go underneath the boot?
    They do now, but garters predate elastic and stretch fabrics.

Now I think it's more for the look.

edited to add:
    We didn't have any stretch breeches until the late 70's, and they weren't standard until the early 80's. I learned to ride in cotton denim breeches with flares. And my first stretch breeches were 100% nylon. I remember in college, when I hadn't been riding for a couple of years, browsing the racks at Calabasas Saddlery and being excited and pleased to find cotton stretch breeches.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Talking Just a bit of trivia...

[QUOTE=TrakGeorge; I hate tight necklaces as I don't like thinking I could be strangled [quote]

My crazy granny told me I don't like things about my neck because I had most likely been hanged in my past life.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakGeorge View Post
    LOL, apparently not since my horses like to keep their bridles on. I usually have to wait for them to drop their bits from their mouths. Besides I would think a tight throatlatch would choke them - then again, I hate tight necklaces as I don't like thinking I could be strangled.....I know, I am strange in my ways of thinking.
    well we don't make them tight, just secure.

when I was a kid I was trail riding with my coach and the bridle didn't fit the pony properly, the throatlatch was way too loose. Anyways, this trail ride ended with me walking back to the barn because my pony tossed me, lost her bridle when I held on to the reins, and merrily trotted back to the barn.

Learned a few lessons that day, bridle fit was one of them.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Why do we figure 8 bridles???
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Because Pony Club says to, of course!

[QUOTE=Kat the Horse;3575764]
    Quote Originally Posted by TrakGeorge; I hate tight necklaces as I don't like thinking I could be strangled [quote

My crazy granny told me I don't like things about my neck because I had most likely been hanged in my past life.
    While sleeping, I have had some crazy deaths....maybe that was one, who knows. lol

.....I should really stop looking at posts and go back and work on my thesis......

They usually do have those elastic straps to go under the boot. Unfortunately, they are removable. I'll bet they are removable to make them easier to get over the boot. I can't tell you how many times I have searched for the missing straps for my daughter - do they think 6 - 10 year olds are organized enough to keep track of all these little bits and pieces? But I guess if I was organized, I would have sewed them on...

My GUESS on this one is that it keeps them neater. If you have a crowded tack area, it keeps the bridles from becoming tangled up with each other. If it's figure 8-ed, It's easier to just grab your bridle with one hand and go. Just a guess.

About the gelding...
    I knew an old vet in Kentucky ,many years ago ,and he said "well,most of us vets aren't too smart,but we can generally count to two!"

Ok, I'll ask a color question I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone in person. I have a horse who is registered color is black, but he's really a dark, chocolate brown, with a dark chocolate brown mane and tail, that burns out on the ends to red. When he sun bleaches, he lightens up to a dark khaki color. What color is he, really?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    Ok, I'll ask a color question I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone in person. I have a horse who is registered color is black, but he's really a dark, chocolate brown, with a dark chocolate brown mane and tail, that burns out on the ends to red. When he sun bleaches, he lightens up to a dark khaki color. What color is he, really?
    I would guess he is a brown horse, mealy brown when he is lighter.

If he is truly black and the ends of the hairs fade to reddish, it doesn't hurt to check copper levels, as black horses that have fading hair ends sometimes are getting insufficient copper in their diets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I would guess he is a brown horse, mealy brown when he is lighter.

If he is truly black and the ends of the hairs fade to reddish, it doesn't hurt to check copper levels, as black horses that have fading hair ends sometimes are getting insufficient copper in their diets.
    Oh, thanks for the tip Bluey. I've never heard that.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.