The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Riding4Fun Guest

Default Call me stupid but I've got questions.

So recently I have thought of some questions that if I ever asked would make me look pretty stupid. However, since this is COTH and none of yall know who the heck I am, I am free to ask my ridiculously dumb questions and I do not care if yall laugh.
    And anyone else with other questions, feel free to ask them too.

1.) Why in the world does it matter what side the elastic part of the girth goes onto? I've ridden at a lot of different barns and some people care, some don't.

And I'm blanking, but I will think of many many many more.

I *think* its because you always do things on the left.
    eg, mount from the left, buckles do up on that side, etc

and when you are leaning over to do up your girth while mounted (balance required) its always on the same side.

(ok I really have no idea if this is right or not, just guessing)

I know that when I was younger it was just engraned in me that that is what you do! I can't break the habbit even if I try, it just feels wrong.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Everything is traditionally done from the left (supposedly) because calvary men carrying swords would generally wear them on the right. If I had a sword on my right, I would not be able to tighten my girth on the right side while mounted. I would have to tighten on the left. I am assuming this is a continuation of the tradition, and so the girth is tightened from the left, and elastic makes that easier... thus elastic on the left. However, I prefer girths with elastic on both sides (I like to be difficult, what can I say ).

Riding4Fun Guest

2.) This is probably extremely stupid but why do horses need their feet trimmed? Wild horses dont but I suppose that is because they are constantly running on their feet?

I have one, how do you make your arms longer? I hear that sometimes and it almost always makes me laugh!

OK since other people are asking questions I have one...
    What is a long yearling?

Default I've tested it.

If one places the single elastic buckle on the right, the saddle slips when mounting. Seems like the elastic gives. But when the elastic is on the left the whole girth provides resistance to the force generated when mounting

Riding4Fun Guest

3.) What are bell boots for?

Quote Originally Posted by whaat View Post
    OK since other people are asking questions I have one...
    What is a long yearling?
    a yearling late in their year. example a yearling is a yearling till 2. but a long yearling would be 20ish months

or a long 2 year old, almost 3

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    If one places the single elastic buckle on the right, the saddle slips when mounting. Seems like the elastic gives. But when the elastic is on the left the whole girth provides resistance to the force generated when mounting
    interesting!

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Riding4Fun Guest

4.) What are childrens jods for? In shows, below the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Riding4Fun View Post
    4.) What are childrens jods for? In shows, below the knee.
    Do you mean the actual "jods" (the pants) or that funny leather thingie worn around the leg below the knee?k

If you mean the pants, it's so fast-growing kids can wear short boots and don't have to be replacing tall boots every few rides.

If you mean the leather thingies, those are "garters" and keep the pant legs from twisting around and bunching up during the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Riding4Fun View Post
    3.) What are bell boots for?
    Prevents horse from stepping on his/herself or catching a shoe/heel of the front leg by the hind leg.

Domestic horses need their feet trimmed because they are not kept in a natural environment that includes rocks, rough hard ground, mud, water, etc. Also we expect them to move a certain way and remain sound into their twenties. (wild horses are lucky to live much past 12.)

Well, here's one...

"Why do bridles have throatlatches?"

Just to look pretty and make a bridle look balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by TrakGeorge View Post
    Well, here's one...

"Why do bridles have throatlatches?"

Just to look pretty and make a bridle look balanced?
    have you ever ridden without the throatlatch done up properly?? I'm thinking not... The throatlatch helps to keep the bridle on the head.

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Throatlatch keeps the bridle from being yanked off over the head. Unbuckle the throatlatch on a bridle and then give s tug on the bridle forward...it will slide off over the head. With the throatlatch buckled, it doesn't. This way if someone goes flying over the head with reins still in had the bridle will most likely stay attached to the horse...or years ago when horses were tied by the bridle/reins when being used an transport and "parked" somewhere, a horse yanking back couldn't slip it's bridle.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

This reminds me of the "Everything You Wanted to Know but Were too Afraid to Ask" threads... love em! The only dumb question is the one left unasked .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    If you mean the leather thingies, those are "garters" and keep the pant legs from twisting around and bunching up during the ride.
    OK, here is my dumb question. Why don't they just have an elastic strap at the bottom of the jods to go underneath the boot?

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Everything is traditionally done from the left (supposedly) because calvary men carrying swords would generally wear them on the right. If I had a sword on my right, I would not be able to tighten my girth on the right side while mounted. .
    Stop and think about this for a moment. If you were right handed, (like MOST people are) what side of your body would you carry your sword on? You need to pull across your body to get a sword out of a sheath, so it would be on the left. Besides, you wouldn't be able to mount from the left, and swing your <right> leg over, if your sword was on your right.
    Take that a step further, and you wouldn't be able to tighten your girth while mounted, on the left side, because that's actually where your sword is <if that caused a problem>.

However, I doubt anyone carrying a sword ever had an elastic girth, anyways!