The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Wotan Saddle

Does anyone have an opinion about using an older in very good condition Stubben Wotan Saddle for lower level eventing? I appreciate any input that might be offered.

Default Woton...

I used to event from Novice to Prelim, and for ten years was a Stubben dealer at a hight end saddle shop I managed, plus did saddle fittings for customer's horses.
    In my opinion, the Stubben Woton is perfectly acceptable for your first couple of low level events IF it fits you and your horse well, and you are confident in it. For fences at novice level (just consider them 3 foot for good measure) the flap is not forward enough to get your stirrup short enough to jump without bumping around in the saddle, or sprawling your leg to stay in the stirrup, because you will have to ride "too long" to stay within the confines of the flap. For Dressage, the flap is a tad too forward to get your leg correctly under you, but again, start with something you like and feel confident in, and then consider getting a more forward flap jump saddle as you progress, followed by a saddle that lets you get your leg more under you fro dressage. Make sense?

I used one for low level stuff (up to BN) as a loaner and used a knock-off for up to Novice for years thereafter. I liked it, but most people didn't. I also wouldn't recommend it for anything higher, but for Novice (and maybe Training) it was fine for me.

Rode in mine through the preliminary level, before getting a more forward type XC saddle. If you're balanced in it, it is perfectly acceptable.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I competed thru Training level in mine - and did 4' jumpers. I'd still be using it but my horses are too wide for it.

I evented through Training in a very old Wotan...probably also too small for me. It taught me how to ride! Not a soft spot or block on that baby. I absolutely credit it with my secure lower leg position and stickability, since all that is of your very own doing. And they last forever. Great quality saddles.

AP saddles are NOT too short in the flap for Novice...hello! Its Novice, the jumps arent that big and you are not going fast enough that you need a CC. They are prefectly fine to do the primary levels, or more should you choose, and IMO everyone should start out in one, those minimalist saddles really teach you how to ride. Most CC saddles I see on LL horses these days are wayyy too much saddle for the riders at that level. They ride longer, because most Novice riders arent ready to jack up their stirrups, and therefore the blocks do nothing for them, even hinder them. But people have money, and they want the look.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a hard time jumping very high in an AP just b/c I have a long femur. I need a forward flap to have moderately short stirrups anyway. IMO, you'll have to judge the saddle flap yourself with the needed stirrup length. but ps - I Do really like Stubbens in general.

I have to say that there is no way that a Wotan would suit anyone who is above average height, or femur length for jumping. That saddle is definitely one I would classify as an all purpose, the flap is not truly straight like a dressage saddle, and is not a forward jumping flap.

I am wondering how someone can have "too much saddle for the level". Aren't they allowed to ride in whatever they want/are comfortable in? If I win the lottery and want a brand spankin new Devoucoux to go BN, I am ALLOWED to do that!

Back to the point, I'm not sure this saddle may suit you well for jumping. I think it will be perfectly fine to do flatwork in, but as you raise your stirrups, you will probably find your leg over the front of the flap.

But, it is all about what you and the horse are comfortable in.

Bump. Anyone else who can offer an opinion?

Here's a picture of my Wotan. Thats at Training level.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=IMG_1417.jpg

Im 5'6'' with long legs, especially hip to knee. I dont know how short these people are riding for BN and N, but I really dont think you need to. I think AP saddles are just fine for those levels. And Stubbens are so so durable.

When I first began re-riding the instructor I chose had a Wotan in her collection of saddles. I found it a nice saddle and a very nice fit. Some of the other models were not (notably the Keifer). I remember she had week long camps, for the more advanced students they were low level eventing camps, so she would change saddles when the horses were jumped. Unfortunately I can't remember if the Wotan was considered a flatwork saddle or a jumping saddle, but if it fits you well it should work. It was different than the Siegfrieds I grew up with, flatter like the Prix des Nations that I had , but the flap didn't seem "not forward" enough to jump.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I miss my Wotan! It fit EVERYONE and it was super comfy. I wish I had just kept it for goofing around. I sold it because I was told it was too straight a flap and I'm now in a Courbette jumping saddle that I love. BUT my Wotan served me well for a long time and for lower level stuff it was great. I seriously wish I never sold it!

Love my Wotan - though I'm not especially tall or long-femured (that's not really a word, is it?).

Despite the lack of blocks and stuff - I always felt very secure in it (even when I was jumping over 3' - which wasn't really that often!), and a former coach described it as being "like a lazyboy recliner."

I think the flaps are a bit too forward for a really nice long dressage length stirrup - that's the one thing that always jumps out at me when I look at old photos - my leg position improved dramatically when I got my dressage saddle, but for anything over fences, the Stubben is my favorite.

Thanks. I sure appreciate all the replies. I guess ideally you would have a jumping saddle and a dressage saddle but I can only afford one at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Thanks. I sure appreciate all the replies. I guess ideally you would have a jumping saddle and a dressage saddle but I can only afford one at this point!
    I think most of us started out with just an AP. The upside, Stubbens last forever, and have great resale value because they never seem to lose condition.

1 members found this post helpful.