The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I remember that story about the manure pile pony with necrotic oral sores and curled up feet; the person took him home and trained him to drive using the wrong techniques, even though everyone said she was doing it wrong, and she trained him to CDI! Just like the pony in the story DOODLEBUG by Irene Brady! Brought tears to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1985 View Post
    My veterinarian at the equestrian college I attended has told a lot of interesting stories. The best story she heard was of a pony that was put to sleep and then was stored in a large labratory freezer to be used for science research. Sure enough, the pony wasn't given enough euthanasia med's. The lab technician had never been so surprised in his life to see a pony standing in the freezer staring back at him!
    This didn't happen. Can't get much science-wise out of frozen tissue. Sorry. Maybe if you change it to large cooler? Then it'll work.

I remember a story where this horsey person had a house party and invited Oprah, then Oprah pee'd on all the guests and the hostess got drunk.

Good times!

well i have 2
    one is the porta potty story
    the other is
    not that earl, the other earl

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    This didn't happen. Can't get much science-wise out of frozen tissue. Sorry. Maybe if you change it to large cooler? Then it'll work.
    It actually happend, I was told this story over 2-3 years ago, so I dont remember all the details. All I know is the horse was alive and was found in a freezer, if it wasnt for science then it was for something else

The best one I everheard was the story of the Saddlebred mares Spider Red and Practical Magic.

One Owner had two young 5 gaited mares. They were the same age and going into the same division. Someone kept offering her a lot of money for Practical Magic, so she sold her. Fast forward a few years. Both mares have gone on to be successful show horses. The Owner has lost track of Practical Magic and believes her to be safe and showing, and Spider Red is now a champion many times over.

Then one tragic night, Spider Red drops dead in the show ring during a Championship class of heart attack or embolism (forget the specific cause). Her untimely and tragic death, witnessed by so many, rocked the Saddlebred world. And of course, the Owner is devestated by the loss of her lovely mare. The next weekend, the Owner, who is actively involved in Saddlebred Rescue, is speaking on the phone with SBR. They aren't planning to go to the New Holland Sale that Monday because of lack of funds and no room. The Owner says, "Please go anyway. You never know who will need saving."

At the sale that Monday, SBR workers arrive to find several Saddlebreds in need of rescue. One is a thin, neglected chestnut mare. She is lame from a bowed tendon and headed to the killers for sure. But, she still has her papers with her. SBR gets on the phone to the Owner and says one thing "Practical Magic".

So, what was once lost was found. The Owner lost her great mare to tragedy one week, and a week later is able to save her other mare from certain death. Practical Magic is now sound and fat and living the life of a pampered broodmare. If this is not a case of God closing a door, but opening a window, I don't know what is.

Long story, but it ended with a sweater in a mailbox. Or a dumpster. It depends.

Long story, but it ended with a sweater in a mailbox. Or a dumpster. It depends.
    Oh my, city dog, I remember those stories.

It's amusing when people forget they have told a story before and then make up a new version, eh slc?

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

There was also the story about the snaffle bit that created leverage in the horse's mouth even though it had no fulcrum!.....it was totally majikal!

My favorite was about the magical OTTB who jumped the ditch and the cattle and saved the little boy when the semi was about to run everyone down. Horse may even have helped butcher the squished cattle so all wasn't lost.

That was a very special story

I enjoyed the one about the 12 y/o who jumped a stallion, from a standstill, out of a 7' high roundpen. Then, while she was still on him, he bred a mare.

She wasn't supposed to be riding him, but they had a "speshul bond" and she could do anything with him. For anyone else though, he was a beast. I don't think he was a black stalyun, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and not necessarily a horse story, but when this same poster wanted time for her horses without her husband pitching a fit, she'd just go the BJ and sammiches route. Apparently worked like a charm.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

hahahahaha

a thread by slc that I actually am enjoying!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I bet she's regretting starting this one. She was, no doubt, fishing for new material for future postings, but instead it has become a rehash of her old postings. We call that IRONY.

For some reason Miss Google hasn't returned to her thread...

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    I enjoyed the one about the 12 y/o who jumped a stallion, from a standstill, out of a 7' high roundpen. Then, while she was still on him, he bred a mare.

She wasn't supposed to be riding him, but they had a "speshul bond" and she could do anything with him. For anyone else though, he was a beast. I don't think he was a black stalyun, but I could be wrong.

Holy crap I totally forgot about that fiasco of a thread.

I am starting to regret the use of the ignore button as most of these I missed. Oh well I also missed the I know everything hoity toityness so I guess it was still worth it.

My favorite stories are the ones in this thread. I laughed so hard at some of them

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=123779

Particularly post #18
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    My favorite stories are the ones in this thread. I laughed so hard at some of them

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=123779

Particularly post #18

psssst... KellyB... you do know most of these are made up stories by one poster, right? Who left a huge hole in the fence for all of them to get trotted out all at once

Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    psssst... KellyB... you do know most of these are made up stories by one poster, right?

oh no, my dear, they are not made up at all. in fact, I have them all in a magazine or a pamphlet or a book or a rosetta stone in my cellar and it's too wet and musty down there or I'd find the publication swiftly and show you exactly where I read them.

suffice to say, they are in fact real and I know exactly because I remember reading them.

i remember reading and enjoying them, giggling at the antics and whatnot whilst sipping and savoring a fine bordeaux. so you see they are real. most people make up stories every day, they go out of their way to make them up, it's most sad! but it's true, alas.

one doesn't know how those people live their lives, hashing together a mish-mash of occurances. it's beyond one's ability to reason.

Don't forget about those ODG's and the occasionaly not-quite-ODG (coughankycough) you've got hiding down there too. They tell you LOTS of cool things! Like discussing halting as a training method. Or the vets you have on standby to discuss med schedules and affect rates. Just a hint though, you might want to let them out to breathe now and again, it is mighty musty down in that cellar!

Can it be something that actually happened to us?

When my sister committed suicide (or was murdered) last year, I pretty much lost it for a while. I was out doing night check and when I got to my old QH's stall, I rested my arms on the top of his stall door, and just started crying my eyes out. It had been a long day and my sister had been staying with my while she tried to get away from her monster husband, so it was rough when she died.

I tried to stay strong in front of my kids, but the barn is my space and I was just having a major weepfest when suddenly I felt Cinnamon's whiskers on my face. He is not a touchy feely horse. He is a dignified old gentleman who likes his space and puts up with his humans. So I was very surprised when he came over, snuffled my face, then lifted his head, laid it over my shoulder and, resting his chin on my back, pulled me close to his chest and just held me in a real, live hug. And not for just a second. For a long time until I was cried out.

I've had horses for 40 years, and this was one of the most amazing moments I have experienced with a horse. He just knew. What a great old boy he is.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    My favorite was about the magical OTTB who jumped the ditch and the cattle and saved the little boy when the semi was about to run everyone down. Horse may even have helped butcher the squished cattle so all wasn't lost.

That was a very special story
    I keep searching for that one because I want to read it again, but must be putting in the wrong search terms because I can't find it! Anyone remember the identity of that particular fruitbat?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG