The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the best horse story you ever heard?

I don't mean in a book, I mean something someone told you. Something you heard from a friend, acquaintance or trainer.

Need it be true, or can we resort to the "I read it on the internet therefore it must be true" defence?

Default First one that came to mind is kinda morbid but funny

He told me this when we were putting my 26yr old cushings mare to sleep.

He said it happened 20 years ago and I am foggy on the medical stuff so bare with me.

Anyways he told the story of an old standardbred breeder client of his that had gotten elderly but kept a few of his retired horses.

One of the really old horses was kind of in a bad way and the vets had tried to encourage him to euthanise the horse to ease his suffering.

Reluctantly 6 or so months later the old gentleman agreed it was for the best and they set a date to put the old horse down.

They did the dead and the old man slightly broken up returned to his house, to deal with the body later.

Late that night there was a noise at the clients front door, he went and opened it only to discover his "dead" horse standing there.

Apparently this was before the "two shot method" my vet now uses but end of the storey is the client refused to euthanise the horse again as "the horse clearly wanted to live".

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I think Bounce's recent thread on the yard sale foal was pretty funny
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Bumble Bee, I have heard that's possible too. Fortunately none I know of has ever come back.

I have two stories, and I didn't hear them, they happened to me. First - I bought a four year old mare off the track at Great Barrington (bottom of the barrel on the fair racing circuit in New England.) Her name was Murphy's Time. I glanced over her papers and started working with her, trying to turn her into an event horse. She had persistent back issues and just wasn't ever going to be a contender, so I put her up for sale. I got an email from someone whose name looked familiar. It was the woman who bred her, in Texas. She still had Murphy's dam and a half sister. Long story of how she lost track of Murph, she traded her for a trailer, I think, person on the receiving end said she'd race her in Texas, but Murph ended up in New England somehow. Breeder said she'd heard that she'd had a starting gate accident at one point (hence the back issues.) I sold Murphy back to her breeder, and she is even now cavorting in the pastures of Texas with her mother and sister. Happy, happy ending.

This second story just happened, and we were never really involved although we would have stepped in if needed. We're scouting around for a horse to use for occasional lessons and for my kids to get some event mileage on. A friend subscribes to an email list put out by a local rescue group. She spotted a gray TB mare listed by AC4H in Pennsylvania who had evented and had a $500 rescue price on her. I emailed and started trying to save this mare, and at the same time, some other folks who knew her (people on this board) emailed the original owner. Lovely mare had been free leased to a family who turned around and sold her to a dealer. Owner went and got her back. Happy, happy ending. Wish we had gotten her, but she is safe and sound where she is.

Some person bought a pony from a nice elderly man with health issues (according to her). Later the story changed and the pony became a rescue case, horribly neglected. When the person went to see the pony, she had to use binoculars to see it because it was up on a mountain of manure SIXTY FEET high!. There were snow caps up there, I think. The owner had taken a chainsaw and opened up the roof of the barn because of this situation. The buyer, who was not very tall, had to get the fire department to come with an extension ladder to climb up to see the pony.

Actually, no, it turned out that the pony was not in the barn at all when she went to see him so that part was fictionalized , however, it made a good story.

This is copied from the message board of my site. To update the post the horse was gelded and donated to TRF.

A few years ago I got an opportunity to purchase a nicely bred mare named Found Our Star (I loved that name) for $400. She had her last foal get hung up in her and had to be taken out in pieces and it understandably freaked her owner out and he decided to get out of the business. He was more concerned with her getting a good home than he was with getting a good price for her, that is why she was so cheap.
    Her foals had done well at the races, but there was one that really impressed me. His name is Little Me Too. He won allowances at Saratoga and Delaware and a $50,000 claimer at Gulfstream earning over $200,000. It was because of him that I bought her, hoping to breed another runner like him. I put him in my virtual stable and followed his career online.
    Fast forward to the breeders cup 2003. We were in California to watch the races when we got word that Found Our Star twisted her gut. She was in shock by the time the vet arrived and ended up being put down, so I never got a foal from her.
    Fast forward to this weekend. I spent the weekend trying to ignore this feeling that I had to go to the sale at New Holland on Monday (today). I hate going there for many reasons, but mainly because I can't save them all and I really can't afford to save any of them. Last time that feeling sent me there I ended up coming home with a horse named Stretch Your Faith. How could I ignore that one!
    I really thought in my head that I was going there in case those missing mares from the auction showed up because I knew it would be a fiasco and that Kelly would need all the help she could get if that happened. The mares weren't there and the sale was almost over and I actually thought to myself that it looked like I would make it out of there without buying anything.
    Into the holding area walks this big 16.2? gorgeous chestnut stallion. He definitely caught my eye, but so did his giant left ankle, so I didn't think much of it. I then noticed that he actually came with his jockey club papers (most horses at this sale don't come with papers) The holder was showing the papers to everyone in the area so I decided to walk over and take a look. Imagine my shock when I realized the horse standing in front of me was no other than Little Me Too. I watched as he was purchased by the meat man and led to the kill pen. I have bought more rescues this year than race horses, this is definitely not in the budget. I am only one person, I can only do so much, I have done my fair share, I can't save them all. I went through all these arguments in my head. And then I said "Ok God, I hear you." And I wrote out the check for $400, just like the one I wrote for his mother.
    So now I have a stud horse with a cantaloupe for an ankle. I guess I will await further instructions as to where to go from here. I think I am just along for the ride on this one. BTW we retrieved his papers from the garbage can after the sale was over. They saw that he was bought by the meat man and knew he wouldn't be needing them where he was going. I just wish I knew where he was going now.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    I don't mean in a book, I mean something someone told you. Something you heard from a friend, acquaintance or trainer.
    The ones you google up each week are always good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    I think Bounce's recent thread on the yard sale foal was pretty funny
    Ditto -- I think this one takes the cake!
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

I read one where the arena owner make up over 50 rules for the use of their arena.

Never got to the end to know if anyone ever went there but hoeing the arena after after each use was good for a laugh or two.

I heard a good one about the digestive anomalies of horses in Ohio. Things sure are different there!

There's a person I've heard of who knows every famous horse person in the world and calls them all by their first names, and has a lot of interesting stories to tell about all the famous people, I hope she posts here! She's got a ton of stories to tell about all the famous horse people and, oh, rides they've done, horses they've owned; she knows it all. She's kind of shy though, so we'll have to all beg and beg her to share as she usually keeps all those wonderful stories to herself.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I heard a story that it takes bute 3 days to work, and apparently it takes 15 - 20 minutes for aspirin to get from your mouth to your tummie.

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    There's a person I've heard of who knows every famous horse person in the world and calls them all by their first names, and has a lot of interesting stories to tell about all the famous people, I hope she posts here! She's got a ton of stories to tell about all the famous horse people and, oh, rides they've done, horses they've owned; she knows it all. She's kind of shy though, so we'll have to all beg and beg her to share as she usually keeps all those wonderful stories to herself.
    I heard some of those but I was floored by the non famous person one.

Who would have thought that a Tibetian farmer knows all about dressage?

Ok, here's one.

Anyone remember the story of the horse who would not load so the owner backed the horse for 3 miles , across highways, down stairwells onto the subway and so on until they reached the river bank. Then the horse was backed into the river and swam backwards for another three miles, over rapids and a hydroelectric dam until the horse beached itself somewhere downstream.

But, guess what, that owner never had another problem loading that horse again because it drowned.

Anyone else remember that one? The man's name was podsomething and he wore a funny hat and lived in Ohio, I think.

Our equine chiro told me this one:
    A guy he knew had a favorite mare that was colicing. He knew that she was twisted up and in a lot of pain, so he decided to put her down. It was his favorite mare, though, so he didn't want to, but he shot her in the head and dragged her over to the ubiquitous farm ditch where you dump whatever needs dumping. He rolled her into the ditch and went back up to the house. A while later, here comes his mare walking back up to the barn. She's got a hole in her head, all skinned up from being dragged over to the ditch, but rolling her down into the ditch had untwisted her gut. She recovered fully and he rode her for years after that.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

My veterinarian at the equestrian college I attended has told a lot of interesting stories. The best story she heard was of a pony that was put to sleep and then was stored in a large labratory freezer to be used for science research. Sure enough, the pony wasn't given enough euthanasia med's. The lab technician had never been so surprised in his life to see a pony standing in the freezer staring back at him!

Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    Bumble Bee, I have heard that's possible too. Fortunately none I know of has ever come back.
    A local vet told me he put a horse down, and left, and the owner called him and said the horse was up and running around the field. Vet is still here in Savannah.

I sure as heck wouldn't tell that if I were that vet!

But on topic, I think all the wonderful adoptions on this thread from the tracks and rescues, and the wonderful rehabbing by private individuals are great.

Especially the rescues of old cast aside horses.