The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Problems finding a turnout sheet...

So I have this Arab mare that I am finding it impossible to find a well fitting turnout sheet (or blanket for that matter). She's 14.3 and wears a 69-70 depending on the brand. They always rub very badly in the shoulder and I am not sure if she actually has broad shoulders (they don't really look it to me) or if they just stick out weird. The Weatherbeeta's all end up with the buckle sitting below her shoulders, so the sheet will shimmy back and the front gets under her shoulders. 2 other (no name brand) sheets have done this. The Jeffers brand and Schneiders Dura-Tech both seemed to sit in the right place, but pulled against her shoulders pretty tight. I just tried an Amigo and it in order to accommodate her shoulder, it sat too far forward, or pulled back and rubbed- and it was way to short on the sides. Her whole belly hung out and it looked like she had a mini skirt on.

I have been just making do and using a shoulder guard on her, which helps, but I have others that feed and blanket some days and they forget to put that on. (Plus it's a hassle) I have been pondering the Rambo XL's, but I was thinking the neck opening might be too large and it would end up underneath her shoulders as well. So far the Weatherbeeta's rub the least, but I didn't know if there might be a better fit out there. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh here are photos of her if that helps:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...mare/Front.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...re/zelbath.jpg

Freddie* Guest

Have you tried the Weatherbeeta freestyle fit, it has extra room in the shoulder area.

Rambo has a "Quarter Horse" fit, that might help with her big shoulders.
    I love how the Rambo's fit way up the neck so they don't rub the withers.

Their newer models also have the expandable shoulder area.

I second the Rambo. They are great. I think because they are unconstructed in their fit, they actually fit better. One thing is for sure, they last FOREVER! I have had some for over 10 years and they look great.

I would try one of the Schneider's V-free fitted sheets. The sheets with no back seam slide back pretty badly, but the ones that are fitted thru the back tend to stay in place. My mare has the same problem with blankets, and the Schneider's V-free fitted sheets fit her very well. She no longer tries to bite when I banket her.

The problem with the fitted sheets from Schneiders is that they are all shorter on the sides and she needs a good bit of length in that direction. I got myself all excited when I saw the fitted sheets that had a longer drop, until I read the fine print...they only come with the longer drop in sizes 74 and up. Figures.

Has anyone tried the Pessoa's?

Don't the Rambos and the Amigos have the same fit? That's what they say in the advertising for the Amigos. If so, the Amigo I tried on her didn't fit well. So the regular Rambos should fit roughly the same right?

I don't think I have tried the Freestyle from Weatherbeeta. The sheet I have is from the year before they came out with it. That just might work since that one is the one that fits her best so far.

Thanks for all of the help so far!

The other thing I did was bought a Schneiders stable blanket that fit and layered a normal turnout sheet over it. That might give you more length, but still keep the whole mess in place to prevent the rubs? My mare really seems to like that setup, and she normally hates her clothes. I have the opposite problem on length; her blankets are usually down to her knees.

You might try calling Schneider's. They are very helpful on the phone. I just don't know of any other blanket manufacturer that makes them fitted down the back anymore, and in my experience the fitted back seam is what really helps the most.

What about the Hug blankets at Dover?

Freddie* Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLB15 View Post
    What about the Hug blankets at Dover?
    I like Dover, but their shipping costs are ridiculous.

I had thought about those, but it looks like they only come in 600D and the amount they want for that seems a bit much to me. I was hoping to find a 1200D, so I had put those on the back burner. Shipping wouldn't be a problem since I live pretty close to a store. Anyone know how well they hold up? I just worry I'll pay that money for it and it'll fall apart within a year.

I also have a 14.3 Arab who gets shoulder rubs from just about everything I buy the Hugs for him, and they work great. Dover recently redesigned them, so they have crossed surcingles and a longer drop now (my two big complaints from the old version).

I haven't had a problem with their durability, but my horse is not very hard on his blankets.

Oh, and they're on closeout right now - it doesn't come up in a keyword search, but if you browse the closeouts, you can find them $80 for the sheet and $90 for the blanket - I just got mine in the mail.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%9...24637C/cn/398/
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%9...24623C/cn/398/
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Go back to Schneiders - their turnout sheets typically have a longer drop. There are 2 things about their jammies that I love - the V-fit feature which really does work to prevent mane/wither rubbing, and the VERY long and forward shoulder gusset. How any manufacturer thinks that a 6" gusset, back at the elbow, is a "shoulder" gusset is beyond my comprehension Schneiders' gussets are really tall and where they should be - up at the point of the shoulder.
    http://www.sstack.com/shopping/produ...keyword=V-free (this one has a specific "long drop")

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/produ...ProductID=5669

I just bought a rambo california turnout for my chunky arab and it is very long. I got a size too big and have to return, but the next size down should be great.

Get a high neck sheet. I've never had rubbing problems with them...but anything of mine with withers gets rubs from regular necked sheets. And be sure to get gussets.

JB- I can't seem to get the page to load...are you referring to the V-Free LD Turnout sheet? If so, it only has a longer drop in sizes 74 and up, and she definitely needs a longer drop than the New Briton. I talked to one of their reps and she agreed that the fitted sheets probably would not have enough coverage for her. I truly wish they had the longer drop in the smaller sizes. I had thought about the V-Tek Marathon since they have the V-Free fit, but the Euro length, except...the other Euros I tried fit my horses terribly, the worst of any sheet I have tried. (don't ask me why, I always hear rave reviews about Schneiders) So it makes me a little nervous to order them. I just don't have the money to keep eating shipping costs if they don't work.

Has anyone ever tried the Supreme Turnouts from Dovers? My friend had one for her horse and it seemed to stay put quite well. No sliding back. Maybe I'll just make a trip to Dover and buy several things to see what works.

I truly appreciate all the help!

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Rain turtle sheets. Fantastic. The neck is stretchy and it keeps the shoulders dry so they don't rub. 160Denier too, with a 2 year guarantee. They re-designed for this year with longer drops so don't buy last year's model.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Elys View Post
    So I have this Arab mare that I am finding it impossible to find a well fitting turnout sheet (or blanket for that matter). She's 14.3 and wears a 69-70 depending on the brand. They always rub very badly in the shoulder and I am not sure if she actually has broad shoulders (they don't really look it to me) or if they just stick out weird. The Weatherbeeta's all end up with the buckle sitting below her shoulders, so the sheet will shimmy back and the front gets under her shoulders. 2 other (no name brand) sheets have done this. The Jeffers brand and Schneiders Dura-Tech both seemed to sit in the right place, but pulled against her shoulders pretty tight. I just tried an Amigo and it in order to accommodate her shoulder, it sat too far forward, or pulled back and rubbed- and it was way to short on the sides. Her whole belly hung out and it looked like she had a mini skirt on.

I have been just making do and using a shoulder guard on her, which helps, but I have others that feed and blanket some days and they forget to put that on. (Plus it's a hassle) I have been pondering the Rambo XL's, but I was thinking the neck opening might be too large and it would end up underneath her shoulders as well. So far the Weatherbeeta's rub the least, but I didn't know if there might be a better fit out there. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh here are photos of her if that helps:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...mare/Front.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...re/zelbath.jpg

measure the horse from withers to tail
    chest to tail
    and withers to elbow
    horse roughly at 14.3h can be anything from 5ft 6inches to 5ft 9inches
    also buy when you have measure your horse correctly a high line neck line
    so it doesnt pull back onto the withers or drop of the schoulders with her chest hanging out

She looks like my Arab, back when he had more flesh on his bones! Try your Schneiders sheet again and play with the buckles in front. For him, I would hike up the velcro at the shoulders but then not tighten the front buckles as much - it closed up the neck opening, which is what he needed to keep it from sliding back and choking him, but left enough room side-to-side for him to move around.

We had a Hug. We hated it. Maybe the new ones are better.

My TB has a Dover rainsheet for spare. He could be a catalog model, because everything fits him. The Dover blankets can be really buckled short (tight?) at the chest, but it doesn't change the shape of the neck opening so it seems like it pulls across the shoulders more - hard to explain. Almost everyone I know who has Dover blankets needs a sleazy underneath. We have 4 horses in Schneiders and haven't had a single rubbed shoulder since we switched.

Forget Dover if you want to go the Hug route, and go right to the manufacturing source. A google search will come up with the website. They have 1200 D and an 1800 D.

I just bought one of the new Big D turnouts and am very impressed so far. They just came out with this turnout line, but their blankets are known to be quality and last long. Turnout comes up a bit higher, so it sits in front of the withers rather than on top. The show coat lining in Big D blankets is wonderful for preventing rubs. The sheet then has mesh lining along the back, so it breathes well. Smartpak carries the different styles.

Default my mare is small narrow and long backed.

i always had problem w/ water seeping in around her chest. then i discovered the weatherbeeta freestyle high necks and my problems were over.
    b/c they're high neck, they don't get pulled back as far and they don't gape around her shoulders, no rubs, and no water seeping in
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique