The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm in Idaho too. but we didn't get any snow just some rain and wind. We seldom have snow on the ground at our place. I want it to stay in the mountains where it will do us some good next irrigation season.

I am planning on at least another month of nice pleasant weather, ( hear that Weather God, please), so that we can get some more xc jumps built.

I live in NC, and it is still in the 70's-80's here thank the lord. I am a true southerner and I love the heat, and humidity. I cannot stand the cold, anything below 55 makes me miserable and cold.
    Here in the south when it snows, everything closes down and people get stuck in ditches and have no idea how to drive in the snow. It can be chaos sometimes. I am hoping for a non icey/snowy winter. Please be a mild winter!!

It's -4C here right now
    So 25F.
    It's cold. I'm not ready for winter yet!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Snowing here this morning. I was up early (very early) to go to a show. Show was cancelled. However, I'd already got up/showered/dressed/fed horses here before I got the call...

Now I have to go down to the barn to pull out braids. And unload my truck/trailer.

Did I mention it is snowing hard?

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    you are one sick puppy!!!ROFLMAO Come here and spend 20+ hours a week moving that crap around so you can get out of your yard. I must add that said moving is done in sub-zero temps, and mostly at night when the wind aint howling so much. Said moving goes on for roughly 5 months of the year, sometimes more. This is what i build up ever winter:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...reatwall11.jpg

And this high:
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...greatwall2.jpg

You KNOW you are good with the tractor and bucket when you can do this:
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...snowblock1.jpg

the block of snow was about all the poor tractor could lift - block was 6' wide, same as the bucket, and pretty thick and deep.
    HaHa thought you meant snow carvings done with a tractor..I swear I can see the beginnings of an animal in the lump!!

SWFla here and I'm tring to decide to ride today with the heat and possible rains still. 85 here now under partly cloudy skies...
    I remember it not being being so miserable at one time...I think that was before menopause...now I crave coolness!!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Default Its WHITE!

Wow, we got dumped on last night!

Its WHITE out there! Foot long icles hanging off my truck's bumper. Yikes. lol Woke up this morning and thought, my goodness its dark in here...what time is it? Well, the trees by the windows are all white and their branches are hanging down blocking the little sun we were getting (its gone and its snowing again).

I took the dog for a thirty minute walk out in the snow-he loves it-up to his little ankles and a little above in some places. Not a bad little snowfall last night...more to come today and tonight, then half the day tomorrow. Supposedly. Guess I'd better go start the truck and get the windshield clear. Fun stuff.

I took pictures, will put up links later after work.

It started here about half an hour ago, temp ain't too bad sitting at 1°C roughly 34°F but the wind is 'thin', not strong but goes right through you. Going to have to put the horses in shortly, outside hay is in the wrong place, they can eat or get out of the wind, not both. Weather liar says 8" of this crap!!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

We had our first frost yesterday, but afternoons are in the high 70's, so we're in a classic fall pattern of ice in the morning, flies in the afternoon.

Only thing is - if it freezes at night, the grass won't grow, and I'm really counting on getting a little grass growing from that last rain we had!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    We had our first frost yesterday, but afternoons are in the high 70's, so we're in a classic fall pattern of ice in the morning, flies in the afternoon.

Only thing is - if it freezes at night, the grass won't grow, and I'm really counting on getting a little grass growing from that last rain we had!
    oh i know how you feel on the flies before our little town decided to go all arctic tundra on us we had TONS of them you would wake up and they would be everywhere! i think i would win if there was an olympic sport for fly swating but now we only have a few and i swear these ones are a little slow in the head...
    ~Your horse can only be as brave as you are~

I live in KY now where it was 85 F today and I was baking during my lesson! However, I am from originally from Iowa where it not unheard of to have a first snowfall in mid to late October. I remember being at a show about 5 years ago on OCtober 13 where it was flurrying and freezing cold. I am so happy that moved a bit further south!