The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default they stole my horse

I say they because I believe both spouses were involved in this. She is well a nicely put a wench and well his is there is no nice way to put it but it starts with a P has a few ss's in it a Y ending with whiped...there is of course more details that I will not go into as I dont want it to come and bite me in the buttocks when I take them to court...Nothing bad about me but ya know how the legal system work when envolving a 'well known/ preceived' powerful family in a small country area..

I called my local law enforcement though the keystone cops would have done much better... They took a report the called the person who I only thought had done this until then. The person admitted in taking Dt then selling him to a person who advertises for 'cull and beef' horses in a local weekly freebie newspaper. the local law enforcement did nothing other then take the report oh yeah they advised me to seek advise from my atty on this.. The person who admitted to taking my horse is still not in jail. This person is still free to continue to live their life while I am a wreck...

I called the 'cull beef horse dealer' and he flat out refuses to get my horse back and claims he is not liable or that he needs to get him back. So I will be pressing charges against him as well... He to is a well known horse ( not necessarly respected or liked) person in my area...

From what I can find out in Ohio this offense hold a minimum of 10 yrs in prison with at least a 50k fine more should the judge decide to do more which i will be pushing for.

go out and hug your horses today...
    Friend of bar .ka

Save your horse that the dealer has even if you have to buy him back.

Or go to court and get a "temporary restraining order" preventing the dealer from selling or disposing of the horse.

More facts needed.
    How did they get your horses?
    Did you have any business with them?
    Do they say you owe them $ for board or services?
    Do you have ownership papers on horses?
    Where were horses when they were taken? Your land or boarding stable or land of the people involved?

I'm sorry for your troubles, but a post like this might just bite you back. You sound really bitter and full of hate and maybe that's appropriate to the situation but making this kind of thing public doesn't help your situation if it ends up in a courtroom. Good luck.
    Click here before you buy.

This is one of those deals I'd really like to hear what the other party and police have to say.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by horseless no more View Post
    I say they because I believe both spouses were involved in this. She is well a nicely put a wench and well his is there is no nice way to put it but it starts with a P has a few ss's in it a Y ending with whiped...there is of course more details that I will not go into as I dont want it to come and bite me in the buttocks when I take them to court...Nothing bad about me but ya know how the legal system work when envolving a 'well known/ preceived' powerful family in a small country area..

I called my local law enforcement though the keystone cops would have done much better... They took a report the called the person who I only thought had done this until then. The person admitted in taking Dt then selling him to a person who advertises for 'cull and beef' horses in a local weekly freebie newspaper. the local law enforcement did nothing other then take the report oh yeah they advised me to seek advise from my atty on this.. The person who admitted to taking my horse is still not in jail. This person is still free to continue to live their life while I am a wreck...

I called the 'cull beef horse dealer' and he flat out refuses to get my horse back and claims he is not liable or that he needs to get him back. So I will be pressing charges against him as well... He to is a well known horse ( not necessarly respected or liked) person in my area...

From what I can find out in Ohio this offense hold a minimum of 10 yrs in prison with at least a 50k fine more should the judge decide to do more which i will be pushing for.

go out and hug your horses today...

OK:

1. Whose spouses are these? One (or more) of yours? Married to each other? A friend? A relative? A business partner? A stranger? An aquaintance?

2. "Nothing bad about me" what does that mean, exactly?

3. How can they steal your horse? Is he/she your horse? A partnership? Your parents?

4. Did they take possession on a board lien? A sale/lease gone bad? Do you owe them money?

5. How old are you?

I don't know, but there seems that there may be a bit of a 'backstory' to this. However it all shakes out, good luck to the poor horse caught in the middle.

Put your personal feelings about these idiots aside, and call back the meat dealer... offer to buy the horse back. I bet if you're reasonable about it and talk nice to him, you could do it for maybe $500. One your horse is shipped, he's going to a very painful, unpleasant (permanent) fate. Get him back while you still can.

THEN you can go all out, pressing charges for theft and reciept of stolen property. You may also be able to sue person #1 for recovery costs in civil court, too.

Keep all records, take notes every time you contact everyone, etc. Talk to the District Atty's office on pressing charges if the police don't seem too interested in going after the thief.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by philosoraptor; Oct. 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

and yeah, don't put out too much about it. So it won't come back to bite you!

best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Freddie* Guest

Your first priority is to get your horse back, make an offer to the dealer.
    Deal with the legal aspects, after you have the horse.

The spouses are married to eachother.
    They used to be our land lord/lady
    we were in hte process of moving and I was trying to find someone to take the horse and his llama to another location. They ( LL's).
    Yes I am angry, upset what ever.
    No we were not in business together other then we were renting the house and barn from them until we bought this house.
    We had not compleatly moved out and spent most of the day over there except the day the horse disappeared. That day I was sitting at hte Er with my oldest ds.
    I havent a clue what i ment by 'nothing bad about me' I am running on bout 4 hrs of sleep over the last 3 days...
    I am old enough to have a 21 yr old ds and ot have been married for 24 yrs..
    there was/is no partnership or any other ties between 'us' other then renters of a house.
    Over the last 6 or so months there have been unrelated signs that the person was planning something. IE in april or may calling the humaine society reporting that my horse was 'being starved'.. The humaine officer came out and wondered if the horse was to thin what would a fat one look like. then other little things like things like grain missing the nshowing back up, clippers missing then showing up in a difrent place from where they originally were just little things nothing sepcific to indicate anything really.

I called hte dealer and he has already sold him supposedly to a person who will ride him. But will do nothing to get him back. There were some heated said from him on this. So I would think my only way to get my horse back is to file charges against the dealer as well.

On Tues as monday is a holiday and the offices are closed, I plan on going to the county prosecutors(sp) and fileing charges.

I also plan on going ot the offices of the law enforcement officers and find out why the officer did nothing even after this person admitted to him that they had taken the horse.
    Friend of bar .ka

if the dealer bought the horse for much less than his value, or if he knew or should have known the people did not own the horse, he can be charged with theft by receiving stolen property.

If the horse disappeared one day and you discovered it by the next day, I don't understand why the horse was sold by the dealer so fast unless he already had a sale for the horse.

This is confusing.

I'm having a really really hard time reading your posts.

I don't understand how they took the horse and sold it when it belongs to you.

If there were all these signs why didn't you move the horse out of harm's way?

Why can't you go to the person the dealer sold the horse to and buy him back?

People in general don't want to get sued and if you are a rational person then you should be able to explain to the dealer what happened and find out who he sold the horse to.

If you can try and track the horse down, I'd try to get him (buy him) back over this long weekend. If you feel this "family" is well known in the area,and local law enforcement will do nothing, keep a record of it. Get your inital report, with the officers' names and badge numbers. Call the Humane Society who investigated you, get that previous report as proof you were the owner 6 months ago. Get all your vet records together, again showing proof the horse is yours. When you get to the Prosecutors, they will want LOTS of paperwork like this, get whatever you can. I'm not sure if the next law enforcement level up is the State Police, but they could be called as well, to report the local PD "doing nothing". Make as many calls as you can, but be polite and firm to all parties. Be sure to note the time, date, and who you spoke to EVERY time. You can usually get results when you come across as businesslike and rational, even though you are upset about your horse. I'm not sure what the problem is with your ex-landlords, but it seems pretty harsh that they would steal your horse for no reason. Good Luck!

Translation: They rented a farm. While they were moving out and not home her landlords sold her hrose to a dealer who advertises for kill buying and fast sales. He will not listen or help her. He is not afraid of her and yelled at her.

The horse was stolen and the police will do nothing. They do not think a horse is worth enough money to bother.

There is no deal gone bad, no back board, no excuse. They just sold her horse to a kill buyer while she was not home.

In hindsight she might have seen signs they were not good an honest people, but who the HELL expects someone to sell your horse????!!!!!! What signs would make any of us worry about that?

Her brother is a lawyer and OP needs to realize the police will be no more help on Tuesday then they are today. YOU NEED TO GET YOUR BROTHER to do exactly what C&C already told you to do. YOu CANNOT file charges i fteh police do not want to take them.

In all the stolen horse threads on COTH we are still waiting for one case where the police helpd at all. Get over that and get your horse back NOW with your brothers help.

Sorry about your horse. Hope you get him back. I know you are working to get him back, but maybe you can have other groups involved to help? I don't know this one personally, but read a lot of good stories about them
    http://www.netposse.com/
    Maybe someone can help? Police may be more willing to do what is needed if they have a little push from different sources.
    But if so it looks like a open and shut case-unless your landlord claims that you owe them rent/board and so they took the horse to compensate for that?? They should have done it through court order if that is the case-but otherwise best luck and hope you ge thim back.......A good lawyer always helps things along...

Call an attorney and GET YOUR HORSE BACK TODAY!

It's Columbus day - Not Christmas !

I had a horse stolen a year ago - l-o-n-g story but I recovered it from the thief in the middle of the road not far from my house.

Clever "B" cased my place really good - but not good enough! I can not get the S.A. to prosecute as it was an old schoolie she had taken a fancy to and not worth much to anyone but me. She was younger and meaner than me, but I prevailed and brought him home!

Law enforcement was USELESS as it was a change of shifts in my quite rural location. She even had checked that out prior to the heist. Even drugged my dogs But she did not count on my Son walking in on the heist or me in the house taking a RARE nap from driving my Dad over 1K miles to a funeral the day before.

My advice? When law enforcement and S.A. would not help me I took it to my attorney who took it to her landlord and got her evicted. At least she has left the state now!

The schoolie was sold by me to another party and moved far away to protect him from this LUNATIC! She swore she would come back for him. Based on the crappola she called horse flesh at her rented farm he would have been a STAR!

Now my place is fort knox - no one comes in or out without the bells and whistles going off!

Call an attorney and GET YOUR HORSE BACK TODAY!

One question - did you/do you owe the LL any money?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Another question, how long were you moved out of the house and kept the horse there? some states have "abandoned property" laws and if you were out of the house for a long enough time they may have considered he horse legally abandoned.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

i would find that horse and steal it back if the police won't do anything about horse theft.

The only appropriate response to this thread is:

The OP should immediately consult a QUALIFIED attorney licensed to practice in her state.

And not post information on the Internet.