The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If your horse was voting

Utter fantasy and speculation, but for those folks who like to imagine their horse's political views...

What issues would your horse care about? My horse's list...

Farm subsidies (pro) but not for ethanol
    Land conservation and preservation of open spaces
    Animal welfare (anti-horse slaughter of course)

What else?

I don't think HRH Avery would "do" national politics, but he sure the heck would loff to be President of USEF, and BOY would it be a different organization!!

* Zero tolerance on horse abuse, with permanent suspensions and fines of mannie mannie thousands.

* More variety in the shows with more interesting stuff for horses to look at (golf carts are dull). Bring the Saddle Seaters, Reiners, Drivers, Dressage peeps all back to the big shows!

* More Handy Hunter classes.

* New class: Liberty Jumping.

* No more waiting at the in-gate. Bo-rinnnng! Make 'em run on time!

* New class: ENGLISH Trail!

* New class: Sexiest Mare!

...And so on...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Global warming and having no rain for grass!!!

No horse abuse or the get hard time

No horse neglect or they get hard time

Hay shortage and prices

Must be a law to have more treats per horse
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Wink Mine are Democrats!

Because they care about MY health insurance status!!!

And they'd also vote that failure to provide treats would be included in the definition of horse abuse! Ditto for 24/7 access to hay...ANY hay!
    And lush green pasture....ANY pasture! And riding....ANY riding. Heck, even tacking up = abuse!!

She'd vote just like most humans -- whoever's promising the most treats for the least amount of work!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Health care (we have the vet on speed dial)

Global warming (it gets hotter each year here in Georgia)

The economy.

But horse slaughter would be #1 on his list.

And he would vote for the best looking mare.

Healthy care (had a bout of laminitis/founder this spring)
    Prescription Plans (now on 2 meds for her everyday)
    Reducing Horse Abuse (meaning getting her owner in to the gym and on a better diet)
    Education (Can we not put people who can't ride on me, please?)
    Retirement Benefits (A girl who has foundered now has to think about these things if her disability worsens as she ages.)

She's also really annoyed by screechy high voices so I doubt she'd be voting for the "mare" in this election. (Before I got her she was called Suuuunnnnshiiiiiiiiiiiiine. She HATES it. Pins her ears and walks away once a year when I call her that to see her reaction. She's much happier being Casey.)
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Because Ted's mom gets very depressed when her grants don't get funded, and then Ted has to deal with his mom being depressed, Ted is going to vote for the candidate that is pro biomedical research, pro education, pro health care. Or no more peeps.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Gershwin is pro farm subsidies, but expressed an interest to replace corn with carrots, apples, and peppermints

Dispatcher would like to assure his retirement includes his home and lots of food. He's got quite a while before that happens. He is still working, and will be for a long time, so he is ready to weather the storm. He justs wants his Mom to be able to take care of him.

My horse would be confused by the ballot design and therefore would vote for a candidate who was no longer running.

My horses are sure education is the top concern this year-we appreciate how essential riding lessons are for our future success.

Thumbs up Twinkie is a Republican

Hmmm, Twinkie would like to keep her carrots for herself and not let anyone tell her - it is not fair and she must hand out her hard earned carrots to the horses who chose not to work as hard as her.

She'd also like me to take care of her Veterinary care and not have some big *place* dictate where and how she receives Vet care.

Twinkie would also like her *barn* to grow her own hay, instead of importing it from another *barn*.

My horse is still so upset about that hay program NPR did that I am not sure if he is ready to vote.

He's Old ENOUGH, though.

I think my horse would just need to see if the candidate was very free with carrots, and then he'd vote for him.

My horse is worried that the studs in his shoes would cause hanging chards and mess up the election.

A carrot in every pot. She's a simple critter, with simple needs.

Lets see:

Sunny the shetland- well she'd go for a dictatorship in which she was in charge. Honestly everyday I get the feeling that she's desperately swearing the lack of opposable thumbs and plotting on how to take over the world.

Hazel- doesn't strike me as a politcial thinker. She would care about where the hottest party is and can she jet off somewhere for the weekend? She loves to travel as evident by the cross country trip and anywhere we go locally.

Ginger- oh she's a liberal democrat for sure. She's concerned about every blessed thing that goes on.

Grace and Vic- well I don't know about these two. I'll ask tomorrow when I feed

Carrots, mainly. That is her number one issue. Number 2 would probably be anyone who could promise that she could get paid without having to work. She would be cool with that. Also, no blankets, and turnout sheds for all.

She is anti health care, though. No shots, no preventative health care, and certainly no one putting anything in her mouth or nose. That might just be a deal breaker, unless they promise many, many drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    She's also really annoyed by screechy high voices so I doubt she'd be voting for the "mare" in this election. (Before I got her she was called Suuuunnnnshiiiiiiiiiiiiine. She HATES it. Pins her ears and walks away once a year when I call her that to see her reaction. She's much happier being Casey.)
    The next time you do that could you please please please have a video camera ready? Casey and I have the same hatred of the screechyness and I just have to see what I would look like as a horse.

================================================== ======

My other horse's main political intrest lies in healthcare. She's sick of being polite because she knows I don't have health/injury insurance. Once she knows I'm covered, her true feelings will come out, and she'll wave at me as I get hauled off in an ambulance, hollerin' "I did this for you!!! I DID IT FOR YOU!!!" Throwing her hoof in the air.

Guess she needs an OBAMA MAMA bumper sticker slapped on her ass tomorrow!

OMG I'm totally painting the ponies tomorrow: OBAMA MAMA & I THOUGHT I WAS TRYING TO VOTE FOR BUCHANNAN?
    and maybe research that whole florida ballot thing so I can get the name right.

I think my horse would be concerned about the environment and preserving green space (for him to eat). He would also be very concerned about health insurance because he's accident prone. Workers compensation is obviously very important... needs to keep eating while recovering, of course! He'd be lost without a good training (education). He also demands equal opportunities for all, regardless of breed (race) and sex. He'd love to see his rich friends pay more taxes.

Oh, and a bag full of carrots is much more stimulating than a check.