The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallion owners: To vaccinate for EVA, or not to vaccinate?

I am debating whether or not I should vaccinate my Welsh stallion for EVA. He tested negative before breeding season this year But I would hate having him contract the Virus, then have to deal with the whole EVA protocal.

I know that theres a quarantine period after vaccination (something like 21 days?), and have talked with my vet at length about it. He is adament on the idea that if I do vaccinate him, I cannot ship his semen to Canada. I want to have that option for Canadian mare owners to be able to breed to him, so I don't want to sacrafice that. But I see a lot of stallions that are "EVA Negative, and Vaccinated", who are very popular breeding stallions, and I'm sure they've shipped over the United States borders at one point or another. It's making me wonder if my vet is wrong about it. I havn't shown him much, just little shows this year, but I'm planning on hitting the breed show circuit with him next year

So what are your experiances and opinions?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I am in Canada and I bred mares to stallions that have been vaccinated against EVA. There were no issues with shipping semen from a stallion that had been vaccinated.
    Last edited by Galileo1998; Oct. 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    I am debating whether or not I should vaccinate my Welsh stallion for EVA. He tested negative before breeding season this year But I would hate having him contract the Virus, then have to deal with the whole EVA protocal.
    Vaccinate. Always, always, ALWAYS vaccinate.

I know that theres a quarantine period after vaccination (something like 21 days?), and have talked with my vet at length about it. He is adament on the idea that if I do vaccinate him, I cannot ship his semen to Canada.
    Your vet is wrong. Flat out wrong. There are no restrictions for importing semen to Canada/USA. The borders are now open.

I want to have that option for Canadian mare owners to be able to breed to him, so I don't want to sacrafice that. But I see a lot of stallions that are "EVA Negative, and Vaccinated", who are very popular breeding stallions, and I'm sure they've shipped over the United States borders at one point or another. It's making me wonder if my vet is wrong about it. I havn't shown him much, just little shows this year, but I'm planning on hitting the breed show circuit with him next year

So what are your experiances and opinions?
    All of our stallions are vaccinated and we ship regularly to Canada. As noted above, your vet is incorrect. Tell him to get in touch with Dr. Timoney at University of Kentucky. You do NOT want to risk your stallion contracting the disease and becoming a shedder. Make sure that when you do vaccinate, you follow a specific protocol. Pull two vials of blood, send one off to be tested, freeze the second vial (in case the first vial is lost or damaged in shipping). IMMEDIATELY upon pulling blood, vaccinate. Quarantine for 28 days (21 days for mares - 28 days for stallions). Your stallion will, from that point on, test positive for EVA. If there is ever any question as to whether or not he is a shedder, you simply pull blood which will confirm that he has antibodies for EVA, and you collect semen and ship both off. The semen, unless he had been exposed prior to vaccination to the virus, will test negative for the disease.

Hope that helps.

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Oct. 9, 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify.

Kathy - how does the EU and the UK view EVA vaccinated stallions or colts/stallions that have either tested positive for EVA or vaccinated for EVA shipping over to Europe? Either themselves or their semen?

We have my breeding stallion in our barn as well as his yearling son who will be shipping over to the UK in about 3 years time. I am very concerned that if we DO vaccinate him, he may be refused entry into the UK once he is due to leave.

Is that correct or no?

I think it is stallion owners responsibility to vaccinate for EVA.
    Robin Stewart
    www.woodsendfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Kathy - how does the EU and the UK view EVA vaccinated stallions or colts/stallions that have either tested positive for EVA or vaccinated for EVA shipping over to Europe? Either themselves or their semen?

We have my breeding stallion in our barn as well as his yearling son who will be shipping over to the UK in about 3 years time. I am very concerned that if we DO vaccinate him, he may be refused entry into the UK once he is due to leave.

Is that correct or no?
    I'm not sure about that as I was told not to by vet when I asked about getting my mare vaccinated when I sent her to Germany last year..he said I might not get her back into the UK?
    I think you need to contact DEFRA in the UK to make sure.

Smile

We follow what is best for our boys and we vaccinate.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I vaccinated both of my stallions this Spring for the first time.

Thanks Kathy, thats a HUGE help I have been fretting over this ever since I bought him, as it would be a huge hit to have him come up EVA positive one year (I was just going to test him every year before breeding season).

How far away does he have to be from the other horses? Does he have to be totally secluded in a box stall, or can he be in a 12X24ft with 12ft between to the nearest fenceline?

I do have several pregnant mares on the property, so I've been playing with the idea of trying to find some place to board him until the quarantine period was up.
    Facebook Page.

I'm wondering about shipping frozen semen to EU and UK also. I was advised not to vaccinate by my vet also, if sending semen outside North America?????
    "Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    A stallion that tests positive for EVA must be tested to be sure that he is not shedding the virus in their semen. They have no issues with allowing a stallion that has been tested negative and vaccinated being imported. So, no issues.

Is that correct or no?
    Not an issue. Vaccinate now. If you wait and they acquire the virus and end up becoming shedders, your toast. They will not allow them to be imported. However, stallions that are tested negative and vaccinated, can be imported.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by SportNCurls View Post
    I'm wondering about shipping frozen semen to EU and UK also. I was advised not to vaccinate by my vet also, if sending semen outside North America?????
    ARRGGgggg <stabbing myself in the eye>....Your vet is incorrect!!!!!!! VACCINATE!!! There are a handful of countries (I think like 4) and most of them are like third world countries that chances are pretty darn remote that you are going to ship semen or a stallion to that will not allow semen or the stallion into the country IF they have been vaccinated. 99% of ALL countries will allow a vaccinated stallion who is negative in his semen into the country. ALL of the EU, including the UK will accept vaccinated stallions so long as they were negative prior to vaccination and are negative in their semen.

It is really, really frustrating that so many vets, even after the whole Quarter Horse EVA blow up still do not understand the disease and are advising their clients improperly/inappropriately. Incredibly frustrating. And, it would be tragic if someone opted for their vet's advise and end up with their stallion contracting the disease. Send your vets to our website to read the article(s) on EVA. http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...VA/index.shtml
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/EVA.shtml
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...VA-facts.shtml

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Thanks Kathy, thats a HUGE help I have been fretting over this ever since I bought him, as it would be a huge hit to have him come up EVA positive one year (I was just going to test him every year before breeding season).
    While that will tell you that your stallion was negative last year and that he was negative at the time the test was run, literally by the time the results come back, he could have been exposed and be a shedder. Vaccinate. It's easy, it's cheap and it's good insurance.

How far away does he have to be from the other horses? Does he have to be totally secluded in a box stall, or can he be in a 12X24ft with 12ft between to the nearest fenceline?
    That would be sufficient. You just don't want them to be able to come into contact with each other.

I do have several pregnant mares on the property, so I've been playing with the idea of trying to find some place to board him until the quarantine period was up.
    No need. Keep the pregnant mares further away, but truly, it's not difficult if you just keep them from having any physical contact with each other.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I'm not sure about that as I was told not to by vet when I asked about getting my mare vaccinated when I sent her to Germany last year..he said I might not get her back into the UK?
    I think you need to contact DEFRA in the UK to make sure.
    Nope. She'll be tested and may end up staying in quarantine a bit longer, but mares are not carriers of the disease. If they have contracted the disease and are in the acute stage of it, it is the only time they can shed the virus. If they have a titer level for it, it just indicates that they have been exposed or vaccinated at some point in their life. Your vet is incorrect, as well. The UK will allow the importation of both stallions and mares that have been vaccinated for the virus, so long as they are not shedding the virus. Period.

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I vaccinated both of my stallions this Spring for the first time.
    YEAH!!!!! You go girl! Now, no worries on them inadvertently contracting the disease!

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    YEAH!!!!! You go girl! Now, no worries on them inadvertently contracting the disease!

Kathy St.Martin
    Thanks Kathy and your advice that you have posted here on this topic is one reason I did it. I feel much better now knowing my boys are protected.

I am giving a class on AI/Repro (in the context of a rare breed preservation) Saturday here at our farm at our registry's annual meeting and one topic we will discuss is EVA!

Great

I will get a place set up for him tomorrow where he can't touch any other horses. He has hi ASPR inspection next weekend, so I'll have him vaccinated immediatly after that.

Thanks so much for everybody's responses.
    Facebook Page.

Kathy, thanks so much for your accurate advice.

I have two stallions - they live side by side and share a fenceline, on the extreme end of our bank of paddocks that are attached to the stable row. No touch contact is possible with other horses on the place if we keep an empty stall and run between the "inside" stall/run and the remainder of the stable complex. The narrowest gap is ten feet - can "sneeze spray" carry the virus? We keep geldings between the Boys and the fillies - broodies are at the far end.

Only one of these boys is a currently breeding stallion (the old guy is retired) - would you advise vaccinating BOTH, and then doing the quarantine time? Young stud tested negative in his pre-inspection vetting last year, but was not vaccinated at that time (at least, I didn't see it on the billing). I will take your answer to my vets!

Kate
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Quote Originally Posted by AdAblurr02 View Post
    Only one of these boys is a currently breeding stallion (the old guy is retired) - would you advise vaccinating BOTH, and then doing the quarantine time?
    I would. It's easy enough to do, they're close to each other and it just prevents any issues in the future. As you have both of your boys in a situation for quarantining and they are adjacent to each other, why not?

Your setup is definitely workable for the quarantine and vaccination. Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin

Are there live and killed virus versions of the vaccine?