The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default When the only horse you ever sold comes available again. HE IS HOME

Many times over the Coth years, I have posted on this board looking for my daughters horse Press Release. She was her dream horse and together they had a thing. But, the passing of my daughters father meant the selling of Press in order for her to go to school.

She graduated in June and over the years, I have run around Georgia, Kentucky and Florida keeping my eye out for Press who became known as Depress. Things did not go so well for him after he left us.

Fast forward, I got an email today from Press's owner. I thought they had sold him long ago and I had posted on the eventing board several times looking for his new owner. He is still standing in the barn, he has failed a prepurchase due to bute being in his system, and I am told I can buy him back for a very small amount. Not sure what a small amount is but.............................be still my beating heart. I knew that Press was headed for no good after we sold him. I have pleaded and pleaded to be kept up on his whereabouts for the fear that if he kept on as he was going, he would eventually be off to the meat market. We are there.

I bought Press as an unbroken and very sick horse when he was just coming three. No PP done, just saved his butt cause we knew we had too. He took my daughter Prelim eventing and together they were off to Florida and Kyle Carters and were sponsored by a large eventing barn out of Ontario. The two of them were unstoppable. Selling him was our big big big mistake, not for his ability but because we loved him but he was not an easy horse.

We all know, I have more than enough horses whose only purpose left in life is to be loved and give it back in return. Am I wrong, would you buy him back? I think I owe Press, I feel I am responsible for Press. I should be, I put him out there. It will mean taking out a loan in a very precarious time especially for a rescue, and we all know the position rescues are in but........................................honestl y, would I be crazy?

My heart is racing, Press can come home, FINALLY. What would you guys do? Help me make a decison please, give me your honest opinions.
    But please note, I will take Press on as a personal horse, not as one of the rescues so it will not cost the rescue anything. But yes, I believe I will be recuing him. He is so close to heading to auction and God knows where. Its been a downhill slide.
    Last edited by snkstacres; Oct. 7, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Is there any doubt as to what to do? Buy him! He sounds like a one-in-a-million and here's your chance to give him the happy ending you always wanted for him.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think you already know what to do. Go get him, whatcha waiting for?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

You know what we'd do.....
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Y'all ain't right!

You already know what you are gonna do. If you didn't, you wouldn't have posted on the boards about him Go get him girl, and keep us updated!!!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Bring him home.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Well sounds like you already made up your mind, go get the boy back! Your daughter will be just as excited as you are now. Perhaps the previous people would like to donate him to the rescue as a tax write off instead of you paying for him????? (if you are set up that way)

OH God I am crying. To finally have Press home, to know he is finally safe again. And maybe, just maybe, given time, he will become again the horse he once was. Maybe not but, he will be loved anyway.

hahah ok, now to tell the banker why I need a loan for a horse. hehehehehehehehehee cause he is special. he is Press.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

I wouldn't even think twice...bring him home where he belongs!! Sometimes in life you get a second chance and THIS is it!! Good luck and keep us posted.

How can you even have a question about it? Go hook up your trailer and go get him!! (And congrats on finding him again....!)

Of course you need to buy him back. I would do it in a heartbeat.
    So glad you have finally found him, and he can have a place with you for the rest of his life.
    Best of luck, and keep us posted!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

What an opportunity!! I say take it -- and trust that the rest will be provided for.
    The Universe can turn on one little decision...

Default YES!!

Most definately buy him back. You rescue horses you don't even know, now the love of your life is available and needs you. No question.

I'm honestly shocked that you're even considering NOT getting him based on purely emotional reasons alone.

Do you really owe him? No. You gave him a chance and a job and you did what you had to do.
    Does it makes sense financially? No.
    Is he likely to be "that horse" again for you guys? No.

Will you be heartbroken and kick yourself every danged day if you don't get him back? Yeah. Probably.

Even if you can't let him "live out the rest of his years" at your place, you could at least bring him home and euth him if need be. Tell them you'll take the horse for the cost of shipping if he's in such dire straits.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

We're all enablers here! Of course you should go and get him. And make what decision will be best for him once you have him back in your barn
    -Jessica

I took the plunge, thankyou thankyou thankyou. Its the first time I could even think about getting him back, he sold for 14,000 last time. I dont even know what these people paid for him but they said I could have him back cheap. What is cheap, I dont know. I just wrote them and told them he is sold. TO ME!!!!!!!

I never got my daughter a graduation present. or is that Press ent? hahaah I am crying so hard, I dont even know where he is at, what barn?????????????What hunter place has my friend??????????? Who cares, Press is coming home.

This has been a long long 5 years. And to all you Cothers who helped me keep track of him and who owned him, bless you. Finally, shortly, Press Release is coming home. And what will be will be. I dont know him anymore and he is now a product of things that happened along the way but...............................he deserves this. He gave us everything when there was nothing left.

I will say though that financially, it's REALLY not a good idea to be taking a loan out on him.

I would try very very hard to get him for nothing. They contacted you it sounds like because they don't forsee him selling due to some issues. Or did I get that wrong?

I would try to work something out where they just send him back to you for pennies. I wouldn't think you'd need a loan for that.

Play up the whole, "Oh, so you can't sell him and he's an idiot now? Well, I guess I could make room for one more."

Don't throw your life savings (imaginary as it may be) at this.

There. A voice of reason.

But I would still find a way to get the horse.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well you already answered my response... I was going to say GET HIM!

A lot of us don't get that chance again once we sell a horse. I let go a special one and don't have any contact at all about his whereabouts.

Good luck and good decision.

Default Seconding Buddy's Voice of reason

..... bring him home... but don't count on being able to get a loan to do it..... I hate to say that... but.....
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Yes, Buddroo. you are right about the loan but if they sold him to me for $1000 right now, it would be a loan. You see, I finally just put up the hay barn, two weeks old and put in $7000 worth of hay from my own pocket. I also finally invested in my own equipment to lime and fertilize my own fields so instead of paying someone app. 60 and acres every year, I can do it for about $4 an acre.

hahahah had I known one week ago that Pressy could come home, we would have had $6000 worth of hay instead lol but I took that plunge for a tractor trailer load.

Its ok. I will get him back as cheaply as humanly possible. I will see if they will take some write off for him or even payments. I have helped these people out once before, actually twice. I am sure they will be reasonable because they want Press to go to a good place finally.

This is going to work out the way it should, I know it. Press will come home to rest and recuperate from the boogers that were out there. I will be careful honestly, because I dont even know what is coming home. Why the Bute? He may only be a pleasure horse after this but my description of a pleasure horse is different from most. hahahah does it please me to see them happy, thats a pleasure horse.