The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this terrible....

So I just found out my best friend is pregnant, and the first thing I said was OMG Im totally going to start pony shopping !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited !!

She seriously has her heart set on a boy, Im secretly wishing its a little girl , Since I dont plan on having any children of my own Ive always had that dream of being the "cool aunt" or in this case god parent !!!!

Loved the thread with the infant "horsey" clothes !!!

So far she hasnet really accepted the fact that I really am shopping..but she will when I start linking to ponies !!!!

hahahhhahaha Only 8 more months to go !!!1
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Smile

Awww too bad you're so far away. My daughter could use a horsey auntie. She's 1 and I took her out to a barn today to see the horses. She was so thrilled! It was fun. I'm hoping to be able to get her riding in a few years.

No. Not terrible.

My good friend and BO started looking for ponies when she found out she was pregnant. Didn't get one til the kid was 4...but looked by goodness! Sadly, I think we are more into the pony than the kid is.

But adults can have fun with pone pones too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXtvVKYFJdM
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Boy are you asking the wrong forum if you think anyone on here will think that was terrible!

While I TRULY didn't care (HONESTLY! ), I was secretly excited that I'm having a little girl in early Dec... more chance of having a horse-crazy little girl than a horse-crazy little boy... visions of ponies dancing in Mommy's head...

congrats to your friend!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

BR, I adore that video, and now I want to play with my horse in the winter!!!!! I need some harness, I have the skis. Too funny!

I don't have kids. Neither my stepkids nor nieces and nephews have any interest in ponies. (shocking, but true). The step kids are timid and don't like dirt. (Sigh. Eyeroll.)

And don't get me started on how their parents do NOT want them to acquire the crazy horse lady crack habit.

Anyone's kids need a horsey 'aunt' in MD?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Lori B--we have a true harness for the pone but not for the other mare. I used a big fleecy girth, hay twine, etc....it worked fine. LOL

There are lots more similar winter videos to get you in the mood...

This one...two adult women, a pony and a sled...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_dxQiaLdI

Anyway, ponies are lovely fun little monsters.

Not terrible at all... I think all of us want to 'pass it on' so to speak. I've been searching for a horse mad kid for years so that I can be a crazy horse show mom, LOL. My daughter loves them, but kind of takes them for granted, and is away at college now, and my horse crazy neices are too far away.

Wow, it never occurred to me until just now to get knocked up as an excuse to get a pony. Freaking brilliant. Oh wait, I have a three year old nephew. I already have an excuse!!
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Yippie for pony shopping!! The best part was after the pony (I didn't really shop fo him --more fell into him). I had thought I had aquired everything I could ever need to outfit TB from 16h+. I got to start shopping all over again! Blankets, bridles, halters, saddles....

Not terrible, BUT, a little preemptive. Please, let the kid grow up enough to decide if they like horses and want a pony.

I have two children: one is allergic to horses, the second is scared to death of all things furred, feathered or finned (she had a tragic encounter with a VLF {very large fish} in the supermarket and has not been able to look at an aquarium the same since). I had a driving pony for them for a year and they LOVED driving with me. And they liked the pony fine. But, neither has the slightest interest in having another one. Such is life. The horses are my gig, and we're working on finding out what activity makes them sparkle and shine.

Haaaaaa....I bought my daughter's first pony when I was 4 months pregnant....Think that is considered putting the cart before the horse????????????

No worries Buddy Roo, Theres already the one ''eyed bologney pony " ( affectionatly named of course) at home the kid can fiddle with until we discover he/she is horse crazy to !! and if we do find the perfect one between now and then well he can be another member of the crew !!

Said Friend ( soon to be mommy ) !!! enjoys riding with me and loves climbing and throwing down from the hay loft, shes even a better mucker than alot of people I know, now she has this crazy idea in her head that " horses freak out around pregnant people" where she heard that IDK !! So until I show her differeant she wont come out anymore

Now ladies...Lets start linking to cute adorable irresitable ponies ( preferably with a wee one in the picture as well ) !~!!
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Boys can love ponies, too.

But I will allow that there are a million and a half more choices for cute-girl-pony gear.
    Click here before you buy.

It is easier to find more kids stuff for girls!

There are a few infant stuff that is blue for boys- I should know, I bought some for my SIL- she has one girl and two boys. It was more for her benefit than anyone

Slightly off topic:
    My niece is now 6 years old and no, she doesn't have a pony. We may get her a pony after she completes a few years of lessons. Want her to get the HUGE desire and dreams that we (her mom and I) had as a kid- if we handed a pony over to her- she'd just take it for granted.

She only has had one lesson per year so far- simply because her balance isn't that great. This year for her birthday we had her have a lesson and she loved it. Best part is her balance is great now so she may go into a regular program of having lessons once a week. We may just start her in pony club first though and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post

Anyone's kids need a horsey 'aunt' in MD?
    I DO Lori B! I am not in Maryland, but really close in PA! (Does it matter that I am 34? ) Oh, oops just reread your post and you said anyone's "kids" -- oh well! The thought was fun while it lasted!

I love the ponies soooo much. I never really rode them as a kid as I was always really tall and the barns where I rode only had horses for the most part. I have 2 horses myself, but I am always thinking to myself a pony would be fantastic! Now thanks to BuddyRoo's video I know I want one!

Hmmmm....

How do I say this --- delicately????

Ok. Here goes. Oh, and please do try to take this in the gentle spirit in which it's given.

How good of a friend is this?

What I mean is... Does she want to share her baby w/you? I understand you not planning kids of your own but there is a difference between the cool 'aunt' and the busy-body friend.

Aunts have a right to be busy bodies, cool or otherwise. Friends, not so much.

My advice is to chill out and back off. Maybe the friend is thinking more that it's her best friend, not the horses, who's doing all the freaking out!

Just some thoughts. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

anonymoustip -- I would be happy to be be your horsey aunt. Ha!!!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Well, it's not as bad as what I did When my friend announced she was pregnant, she was straight faced...I wasn't sure if it was good or bad thing, so the first thing I blurted out was 'aw honey I'm so sorry' Did not go over well needless to say.

Oh...Four? I think this is all in good fun. I don't think the OP is seriously going to go buy a pone pone or anything.

It's just surprising (or not?) how horse people think of such things....

My sister is expecting her first in March. I am so sad that I don't have land, because I would be pony shopping for sure. I am so psyched! Unfortunately, mine isn't suitable for than carrot feeding (which she would be happy to volunteer for, of course). Really, I would take any opportunity to go pony shopping if I had the means, I am such a sucker for a little pony, but a niece/nephew is certainly as good a reason as any! I would be thrilled to be able to share horses with my little nieces and nephews.