The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Video showing peripheral loading of the hoof

thanks for sharing!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

AZ Native posted the URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1MNNz2mgI

One hates to interrupt barefoot junkscience with a bit of reality, but the hoof capsule does not load via the integument, it loads on descent of the bony column. On loading, relative to the bony column, the hoof capsule is moved slightly proximal, with most of the movement to the posterior and linear along its central axis, not distally, as is suggested by the press of the transverse dissection.

In other words, loading the entire top of a cross section of a hoof capsule with a press in order to simulate the loading of the hoof capsule is proof positive that whoever set up the experiment doesn't have a clue about how the hoof works - but hey, thanks for sharing.
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.

I call BS on that
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Tom, it is early and I was up late and want to wrap my head around what you are saying.

Would you please repeat as if you were explaining it to a grad school kid. I think I am following but want to be sure.

Also, while this video may not show the entire loading process, would it be accurate for what happens at full weight bearing load?

Thanks.

Also there needs to be a warning. I clicked on that during breakfast and almost yacked...

This video was discussed at length on horseshoes, but the REALLY good stuff came when the owner of the school came on to defend the vid

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8415

I agree with the warning however.... some kids might NOT enjoy it
    Whole Horse Hoof Care
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Barefoot When Possible, Shoes When Necessary
    kNOw hoof, kNOw Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stovall View Post
    ... the hoof capsule does not load via the integument, it loads on descent of the bony column. On loading, relative to the bony column, the hoof capsule is moved slightly proximal, with most of the movement to the posterior and linear along its central axis, not distally, as is suggested by the press of the transverse dissection.
    Thanks, Tom. I watched the video three times and was trying to figure out the "that just ain't right" ... thank you for explaining it properly!

Misspelling of the word "peripheral" also annoyed the crap out of this editor.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

LMH in gray

Tom, it is early and I was up late and want to wrap my head around what you are saying.

Would you please repeat as if you were explaining it to a grad school kid. I think I am following but want to be sure.

The hoof wall is an extension of the horse's skin. When the leg is loaded, the bones of the leg, including the one encased by the hoof wall, move downward - but the wall moves upward with respect to the bony column, in accord with Newton's Third Law.

Also, while this video may not show the entire loading process, would it be accurate for what happens at full weight bearing load?

No. The setup consists of a crosswise section of hoof capsule between steel plates that supposedly mimics the loading of the hoof capsule; however, since the load is applied to both wall and bone, the hoof capsule cannot possibly function as it does when attached to the horse and the experiment is fatally flawed.

Also there needs to be a warning. I clicked on that during breakfast and almost yacked...

When I first saw it, I thought the folks who contrived the experiment were pushing a barefoot agenda and counting on a certain amount of shock value in order to keep anyone from noticing the obvious flaw in their setup; similar, in that respect, to Tesky's anti-scientific rants one sees on some of the barefoot sites. However, after reading the exchanges over on horseshoes.com, I no longer believe it was an end-justifies-the-means thing because it became apparent the folks who posted the link simply didn't know enough about equid anatomy and physiology to understand why their experiment was fatally flawed.
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.

I have pictures of my gelding that show how the periople dips down in the middle of the dorsal hoof wall . This was shortly after his shoes were removed end of 2006. They no longer do this. I am now wondering if this was a sign of peripheral hoof wall loading too.......

That video was just gross.

wow.

I just read part of the horseshoes thread-it did get interesting when one of the cult members arrived on the scene.

wow.

Was I NOT just saying on another thread that we had ENOUGH barefoot lunatic fringe out there...and I do believe this one just tops them all.

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    I have pictures of my gelding that show how the periople dips down in the middle of the dorsal hoof wall . This was shortly after his shoes were removed end of 2006. They no longer do this. I am now wondering if this was a sign of peripheral hoof wall loading too.......
    Are you absolutely 100% SURE it wasn't from too much sugar and starch in the diet?
    Whole Horse Hoof Care
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Barefoot When Possible, Shoes When Necessary
    kNOw hoof, kNOw Horse.