The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do w/ 2 bags of defective shavings?

I've got 2 bags of shavings I bought a while back that are dangerously defective - they have lots of lonnng, smooooooth splinters - so many that the bedding is TRULY not horse-safe.

Obviously I'm not using them & we don't have any use for them elsewhere on the farm. I've asked around all the neighbors to see if anyone gardens and could use them for mulch or something. No takers.

Any thoughts on possible uses? I hate to just throw them in the dumpster.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Where did you buy them?

If you bought them from a place selling them as horse bedding, I'd return them...post haste. And I'd whine a little too. You may be wise enough to recognize they may be a danger, but not everyone buying them for horses is, sadly.

Sounds like some great bonfire starter little stuff to me.

I have bonfires several times a year on my project farm as I further clean it out and burn all the burnable debris (old downed tree limbs, hay string old enough to vote, etc.). If you don't need bonfires, maybe someone you know does?

We got some like that...took them back.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Use for mulch, maybe?

But I agree with the others; I'd try taking them back first.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

Yay, I think we have a winner on the bonfire-starter! I'm so oblivious, I *never* thought of that! Thank you! We have cookouts every couple of weeks here - that should see us thru the winter months!

Reason I'm not taking them back is that the supplier, when notified, was EXTREMELY nice about it and even paid ALL of HRH Avery's vet bills from the resulting injury (puncture wound to the heel) without raising an eyebrow. So IMO it would be kinda churlish to bring back $8.50 worth of shavings! I'm plenty mean but not THAT mean!

Thanks guys. Guess we have lots of firestarter!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Do I smell S'mores?

Dang, I could use them. In the warmer months my horses sleep outside, so I put almost no bedding in my manure pile. I like to chuck in some shavings or pellets now and then during these months to keep the ratio of poop to bedding in the proper range.

But I'll bet they burn great!
    Click here before you buy.

I have an open fire in my big room (Old Yorkshire farmhouse, yay!) and use those sorts of shavings in the fire.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I would have said take them back, before I read your 2nd post.
    At the least let the supplier know the quality is still sub-par.

They have the option of not reordering from that mill or whomever puts out the bad shavings or letting them know why the shavings are not suitable for bedding livestock.

I bought some off-brand shavings from TSC and found them unusable as they were too large flakes and packed damp besides : - P
    I let TSC know I was not happy with this brand and would not buy them again.
    I'm sure I wasn't the only complainer as they disappeared from stock.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

You could use them to build up any muddy areas. They'll break down pretty quickly.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I would have said take them back, before I read your 2nd post.
    At the least let the supplier know the quality is still sub-par.

They have the option of not reordering from that mill or whomever puts out the bad shavings or letting them know why the shavings are not suitable for bedding livestock.
    The quality actually isn't sub-par any more - they pulled that manufacturer's stuff off the shelves immediately after I notified them. These are the 2 leftover bags that I had from the "bad" purchase. Turned out the manufacturer had a hole in their screener, so everything they bagged that month had splinters! But I had bought 3 bags and dumped one in Avery's stall at o-dark-thirty before the automatic lights came on. When they did, 10 mins. later, it was too late, he'd already punctured himself. Luckily he's fine now, and like I say, they paid up without a whimper not only for the vet bill itself but for OTC supplies (Vetwrap and whatnot) as well - which is why I'm opting not to out them. I bought 4 more bags from them earlier this week & they're fine - getting more tomorrow night!

LongSpot - yes you smell s'mores! You're invited! Help us break Green Fuglies and then Drank Beer & listen to obscene country songs!!

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post

Any thoughts on possible uses? I hate to just throw them in the dumpster.

dig a trench with your shovel or front end bucket...mix shavings with fresh horses manure....water well...leave til spring... plant tomatoes....sell at $.30 each as organic and recoup losses next summer...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.