The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Exclamation Help! Need CREATIVE ideas for tub drain plug...

I have to apologize to the Waterwitch weanling. She, apparently, was NOT the one pulling the plug. Or, at least, wasn't the ONLY one.

Things have been peaceful since she left. When the tub is filled, the water stays IN it until they need more. UNTIL THIS WEEK.

Suddenly, *someone* is pulling the plug again. (I'm thinking it's the perlino yearling, who plays 'blonde' very well, however, is WAY smarter than is good for ANY of us. )

Problem is, this is an old bathtub. Not a clawfoot, just a plain old tub. And the drain hole is not 'normal' sized. The metal ring which you'd usually see is gone--that part is, I'm told, part of the drain pipe itself, not part of the tub.

I've used the center roller of Scotch Lint Rollers. Add a little vetwrap for 'squish' factor, a layer of electrical tape over that, it's PERFECT. Worked for me for YEARS. Until you have a pony looking for a convenient handle by which to pull said plug out of said tub.

So then I went to vitamin bottles. Same deal, wrapping it a bit for the custom fit. That worked. Until last week.

Now the vitamin bottle is getting pulled out.

It's not *just* that I've no idea how long they've been without water, ( ) it's not just that the area around the tub is now a slimy swamp, it's not even the waste of engergy/water... it's the fact that in the very near future I'm going to be needing to put in the deicer, and it is NOT good all around for the deicer to be in a tub with no WATER.

I need ideas.

I've tried the flat rubber sort of things you use in a sink with a disposal, but they don't get a seal. The tub is very old, there is wear and such, and I guess it's just not flat around the drain hole.

I need something that can still be removed, for cleaning... but is HARD to remove for a horse.

Ideas?

For now I can put two muck buckets inside the tub, but that doesn't work at all once the deicer is needed.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Best final fix would be a rubbermaid tank.

I too went through similar with the ol' porcelain tub. And ya know what? For 70 bucks? No more worrying about if they had water or not? That rubbermaid tank was SO worth it.

That said...some things that worked for me: Big corks for big decorative bottles. You can find them at craft stores.

Big rubber stoppers for great big beakers. You can find them online.

If you're not opposed to manually dumping the thing to clean? You could consider using the non toxic expandable foam stuff that seals.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I have in mind exactly what will work for you but I can't find a picture of it on the internet. I'll try to get a pic of it in my bathtub for ya.

In the meanwhile, we had two playboy 2-year old geldings who took great joy in pulling the rubber drain plug and flinging it around in their teeth. Fun for them, not for me.

I finally got a HUGE hunk of concrete and put it on top of the plug. That did it. Got a cinder block sitting around?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Can't be anything permanent. I can't even MOVE the thing, not to mention tip it to dump. It's big and heavy. I'd thought about gooping down the rubber flat seal type drain cover... but have to be able to open it. OR, has to be 'disposable' enough I can put another on ever 10 days or so. (more often when the 2yo decides to play in the water... )

OH--I bet I could put a 1/2 a cinder block over it???!!!

Chocomare--you're BRILLIANT!

We use one of these bathtubs too! Call me cheap if you like

My tub right now has a permanent type plug screwed in but my husband is determined to switch that out by putting the traditional drain piece back in (L shaped) and then adding a turn off valve or spigot to the end coming out of the bottom of the tub so that we can drain and clean. You can get everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot.

We will also have to set the tub up on some pieces of wood so that the plumbing clears the ground.

PM me if I haven't explained it well enough, I'm not good with details sometimes.

Yes, I know a rubbermaid tub would work better but I already have one for the other field and I hate to throw out a perfectly good tub. Like I said, call me cheap.
    "All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay and he'll listen to me anyday" author unknown

Wink Problem solved!

you need to go to the local Lowe's or Home Depot or the like and get what is called a "test plug" or sometimes called a "winterizing plug". That will fix you problem. To describe it might be hard, but I'll try.

A rubber gasket sandwiched between two different sized washers with a bolt and a wing nut holding it all together. If you tighten down the wing nut it squeezes the rubber gasket, effectively making the gasket smoosh out the sides and fills up the drain hole. This works on my claw foot tub that has also lost it's ring and drain.

If you tighten it up after it's in the drain hole, the horses can't get it out.....

going to look for a picture link....

Ok like this.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/testing.html

scroll down, there are two there. One is red and called the test plug and a bit lower is the black one that I use, the winterizing plug.

I get mine from Home Depot, they only cost a few dollars and come in a couple of sizes....you can measure and go from there....remember that as you crank down on the wing nut the rubber gets wider....

Good luck, they really work, after a few years though the rubber gets brittle and you gotta get a new one. BUT I have never had a horse get it out before, and my tend to be desctructive ponies and I am sure they have tried!
    Suzi-- Tack N' Tow

YES YES YES.... Tack N' Tow nailed it! I have used 2 of these and they work like a charm!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

CotHers ROCK!!!

I used a cinderblock until this morning when.... drumroll... I got the 'test plug' and VOILA.... snug, HORSEPROOF drain plug that *I* can undo!

I am a very happy camper.

yes, it's the little things.

Now, if someone can figure out how to keep the 2yo from playing in the tub...

YAY! Thank you guys!

BTW, is it me, or is the "Wing Nut" solution just...

Appropriate...

If you've ever watched the christmas episode of green acres, you'll get this;

fruitscakes.

Mrs. Douglas's cooking attempts seemed to always provide Mr. Douglas with ample drain plugs

I can't offer any help other than suggesting something over it, but it seems like that washer/gasket sandwich would work the best. I've always seen them with plugs in the sides that you twisted out, and when those failed we just blocked it from the outside.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    CotHers ROCK!!!

I used a cinderblock until this morning when.... drumroll... I got the 'test plug' and VOILA.... snug, HORSEPROOF drain plug that *I* can undo!

I am a very happy camper.

yes, it's the little things.

Now, if someone can figure out how to keep the 2yo from playing in the tub...

YAY! Thank you guys!
    Woo Hoo!!! Seeeee, always come to The Source

Only thing I've seen work to get a 2 year old out of the tub is a pig.... just ask J Swan