The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Cheaper alternative to Halyuronix

Hi All, I have my very nice horse on Halyuronix (spelling?) as a preventative measure. I know there was some comparison with Lubrisyn, but is anyone aware of a cheaper alternative at this point? Thanks in advance. fg

Default Does it have to be a paste?

Does it have to be a paste form, can you /will you feed a powder form?

if so do a price comparison between the ones you are using and all the other HA supplements out there.

See if you can find one with 200mg per serving or more.

yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I can feed powdered form. I appreciate the tip re: 200 mg...thanks!

Smartpak has its own brand supplemnet that was extremly close. I cant remember if I had to use two diffrent supplements or one, but I found a much more economic alternitive to Lubrisyn! I believe I enede up cutting the cost in half!

Hey, check out Conquer. It's about $100+ cheaper (gallon) with the same HA as Hyaluronex! ANd it WORKS!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

ditto the Conquer gel
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

My understanding is that the HA must be in gel or other semi goo form - the powder molecular size is not absorbed as well by a long shot.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I considered putting my mare on HA and talked with my vet about it. New research has found that HA is not absorbed orally. The only HA that actually does anything is the injectable form ie Legends. You may want to research some before wasting your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki17 View Post
    I considered putting my mare on HA and talked with my vet about it. New research has found that HA is not absorbed orally. The only HA that actually does anything is the injectable form ie Legends. You may want to research some before wasting your money.
    You might want to tell my horse that....4 days after going onto a gel HA product he was sound,and has stayed sound. A week after he comes off it, he's lame again. This is a horse whom I was paid out loss of use insurance on because he was so chronically lame.

But yeah, Oral HA doesn't work right?

lol

Even my anti-orals vet conceeded that the product I was using was undeniably working as well as the injectables ;-)

If Wishes, which gel do you use? Thanks, fg

Yeah, don't tell my almost 20 year old show Hunter it doesn't work either. Or my vet. We can tell when she is off of it.

But it does not work for all of them and sometimes the Legend is a better choice with at least once a month injection so you know it is there.

I tried several powdered supps. I will say that they did not seem to be absorbed well as the effect was nothing compared to both the gels, Hyalauronex and/or LubriSyn. Whatever, the powders didn't do much, if anything, so the cheaper cost was a total waste of money.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
    If Wishes, which gel do you use? Thanks, fg
    Hi there,

I use Lubrisyn ;-)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to order from Millburn Equine, as today a gallon of Conquer is only $175.50 ... and that includes shipping!!!

I did a test on Conquer—as I was using Hyaluronex—and the results were exactly the same. So... I switched. Much much cheaper than either H or L.
    "For God hates utterly

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out a way to order from Millburn Equine, as today a gallon of Conquer is only $175.50 ... and that includes shipping!!!

I did a test on Conquer—as I was using Hyaluronex—and the results were exactly the same. So... I switched. Much much cheaper than either H or L.

Hey, thanks. I'll look into that. BTW Conquer is backed by the vets at Rood and Riddle (as investors).

Hey Findeight, you were the one that turned me on to this stuff way back when.

If you figure out a way to order from Millburn, let me know would you? That's a huge savings ...
    "For God hates utterly

Got about 45 days left in the LS. I'll post if I can get the Conquer and where it was...or maybe mention to my vet and he can carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki17 View Post
    I use Hyalun. About $0.90 per day.

MY vet says it IS absorbed orally (through the mucus membranes of the mouth), but not well through the stomach (gets digested instead of being absorbed). Which is why you squirt it into the corner of the mouth, rather than putting it on the feed.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I too am very interested in cheap HA. I have 5 horses including 2 rescues, and would like to start most of them on HA, but have been hesitant as I'm not sure if its cost effective. I have been doing adequan for 2 of them but can't afford to put them all on it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...nt=37994,37993
    In my searching I came across this stuff. It has 100mg HA per serving, which is 1/2 of the targe 200mg amount another poster suggested, but at only $60 a gallon I could double the dose and still be well under the $175/gallon conquer price, no?

I wonder if there is a supplier that sells liquid HA by the gallon that might be cheaper still?

Well, I just got off the phone with the manufacturer. I cannot believe that this is the same stuff, but apparently, it sounds like it. $60 a gallon? I'm floored...it does come from a fermentation (as opposed to animal) source, it is a low molecular weight ... I don't know, folks. Have we been taken for a ride with the $200, $300 and $400 a gallon manufacturers?

Somebody want to be a guinea pig and try it?
    "For God hates utterly

Hey OM, as far as I can find in my research so far, the HA harvested through yeast fermentation and that harvested from rooster combs is the same molecular weight. High molecular weight is good, so I'm not sure who told you it was low molecular weight? The studies on HA are sparse, but from what I've been able to find on google scholar the lower molecular weights may be more readily absorbed but didn't have the same clinical effect.

At any rate, I still haven't found a lower priced option. I did find one wholesaler but they do not distribute directly to the public. Maybe if I get my hubby to call and buy it through the feed company? I don't know if it would be any cheaper though and then I'd also have to worry about figuring doseage and finding out what solvents were in it and if it's safe. If I do go with this stuff I'll let you know my observations.

Also, I have come across several sites that claim higher efficacy is obtained by oral dosing vs. topdressing, claiming it is more readily absorbed through mucous membranes, though I find that counterintuitive if it is a large molecule...organic chem. and biology are a distant memory though.