The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My BO almost laughed herself silly when she gave my boys some pears....they looked like they were rabid!
    Boo....peppermint addict - will give kisses for them, and will eat them till his tongue goes numb. LOVES the big individually wrapped Lifesaver peppermints.
    Grizz - like big brother Boo....
    Heart....my new special child has unique tastes. Will drink tea with cream and sweetener out of your hand - and will knock over a cup to get at it if it isn't offered to him! He LOVES LOVES LOVES peaches and nectarines....the second especially - he hollows his mouth and goes silly getting as much flavour as possible. One hardly has time to discard the stone from them before he is mugging you for more!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

my mare's favorite treat is mrs. pastures cookies. She absolutely loves them and would do anything for them!

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post
    And I admit, I buy very specific treats for them all (shhh, don't tell my clients as I'm a "no hand feeding" nazi...)
    Wow, I grew up with people teaching me to lay my hand flat and feed a horse a treat. I never met anyone like this till I met my current BO. He can't stand to watch me off her brood treats from my hand.

As for everyone else, OMG! I am loving this!! I had no idea horses could enjoy such odd things. Oh and I totally love Trickster and his Margeritta! LOLOLOL
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

They all love:
    Bob's Peppermint treats..a big container at Sam's is about $5, lasts forever and great to add to bran mashes in the winter. Horses perk when they hear the wrapper!
    Stud Muffins
    Just about any kind of bought treats
    The usual..carrots, apples.

One of our rescues, who has only 4 teeth, loves my rescue partner's human reject oatmeal cookies...her husband wouldn't eat them, Lady loves them!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Little Debbie Zebra Cakes, and Cheez-its!!

Retired horse: Honey flavoured Teddy Grahams.
    Current riding horse: a can of Five Alive poured into his feed bucket. Mmmm slurp slurp slurp.

I was drinking a can after a ride, he was very interested, I poured a bit in my hand. He licked it up and asked for more. I tried to pour some in his mouth from the can but he got a bit zealous and I was afraid he might get the little tab off and swallow it...
    So I poured some in his feed tub and he licked it clean.

Unfortunately, now you can't open a canned drink in his presence without him being quite certain it is meant for him...
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

carrots and the apple wafer cookies. I once bought her a 25 ib bag of some unknown brand of horse cookies for 6.95-nice deal but she wouldn't touch them. She like's the Apple wafer ones the best and carrots...

The young guy, who I don't think had gotten many treats before, was initially hesitant but now scarfs down whatever I give him. He loves a sip from my pop can. His idea of heaven, though, would be a round bale all to himself. He loves hay. I don't think the hay he got in Florida is as tasty as the hay he gets here.

The old gal is picky. Doesn't like mushy things--hated bananas, wasn't too crazy about organic carrot muffins or stud muffins. I think her favourite is a nice juicy sweet apple. I usually give her scotch mints (the white ones) but then couldn't find the all-white ones in the store and had to get the white, pink and green mixed ones. She refused to eat the green and pink ones. I tasted them and, indeed, the white ones are the best. The green ones taste like toothpaste and the pink ones are too spicy.

Wheat thins.

Though I also just learned that he's a fan of Sour cream & Onion Toasted Ritz.
    And, of course, peppermints.

Dumors.

The schoolie I'm currently riding a few times a week is nuts for good old carrots and sugar cubes, although it's getting harder to find boxes of sugar cubes at the grocery store. I had to go to three before I found some!
    Who is John Galt?

He's a warmblood, there is nothing he does not eat or drink!

But let's see, he gets the omega nibblers cause they are good for his hooves, and he loves beer, heavy german beers best, and well, he eats everything and drinks Cokes (he's in Georgia) and .....................I think one time he might have turned something down, but I cannot think of what it was.

He eats carrots and apples and oranges, oh, he isn't wild about key limes, I have some trees and he isn't wild about the fruit.

He even eats his pills and meds.

Oh wait, I remembered: He does not eat meat! Someone gave me what I thought was a candy stick, and it was a jerky stick, eeek, and Cloudy freaked out when he reached over to share. Thankfully he doesn't eat meat.

Mrs. Pasture's cookies.

Default Nothing to exotic for Ms Mare

she loves her carrots and the occassional apple, pear or peppermint.

She will doing anything for her favorite horse cookies though - stud muffins or galloping gourmet . . .

I am SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT!!! Uncle Jimmy is a part of my family! I've been helping him to push the Balls out here in SoCal. You should get on his website and get a T-shirt! He gave me one for christmas...."Got Balls" is on it...hehehe
    Well, I the one who turned on one of HorseLoverZ' customer reps to Uncle Jimmy's. There are pics of me enjoying my first ball. We have to take them down in June as the ants start eating them.

So tell your Uncle Jimmy that as much as I love peeps, I'm an Uncle Jimmy's fan too.

...maybe he could be persuaded to send one or two to a rescue for Secret Santa...?
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Basically anything that doesn't move fast enough. Except for Peeps...both of my horse turn their noses up at Peeps. Go figure.
    Last edited by see u at x; Sep. 16, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Peep 'Ho View Post
    Well, I the one who turned on one of HorseLoverZ' customer reps to Uncle Jimmy's. There are pics of me enjoying my first ball. We have to take them down in June as the ants start eating them.

So tell your Uncle Jimmy that as much as I love peeps, I'm an Uncle Jimmy's fan too.

...maybe he could be persuaded to send one or two to a rescue for Secret Santa...?
    I will send him an email about it, that really is a good idea...I don't know why I didn't think about it.

My guys LOVE Jim's Balls, it's what they get for christmas. Last year I had problems getting my luggage down in weight cause it was full of Balls! My guys like the Carrot ones the best.

As for everyone else, OMG! I am loving this!! I had no idea horses could enjoy such odd things. Oh and I totally love Trickster and his Margeritta! LOLOLOL
    Oh, I nearly died! I was beggining to wonder what a drunk horse would look like...

my horses all love fig newtons. A couple of my horses wouldn't eat any treats at all when I first got them. Wouldn't eat carrots or apples or anything. Fig newtons were the first things they would scarf up. Now they all pretty much try anything. But I can tell they LOVE the fig newtons the most.

I am SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT!!! Uncle Jimmy is a part of my family! I've been helping him to push the Balls out here in SoCal. You should get on his website and get a T-shirt! He gave me one for christmas...."Got Balls" is on it...hehehe
    That's very cool. My Dutch mare eats one in about 4 days. She's gone through 6 since July. It has also taught her a great lesson- if you want your treat you must submit to face washing to remove sticky substance from nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Wheat thins.

Hey Invested1, mine too on the wheat thins! My 2 year old took a box outside with her when we went out to feed, and she gave one to her mini horse. The other two took note, and after that I had 3 heads stuck through the fence trying to mug my toddler. Now I can get them all to come to the gate with the shake of a box.