The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What's your Horse's Favorite Treat?

And how did you find out they liked it? i.e., gummi bears, peppermints, etc?

Right now, Pete and I are only at the horse treat stage and I've tried to offer him an apple and he didn't seem to really care, nor did he attempt to eat it. My gf has offered me some home grown carrots and I am going to see if he likes those as well.

But in reading through some of the threads here, I've seen gummi bears and peppermints mentioned as favorites. How did you know??

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Red licorice. Found that out when Skeeter mugged someone who had an opened packaged in her pocket. Got the licorice, snarfed it, and I started buying it in 2 lb bags.

Of course, she also loves carrots, apples, dry pasta, any "real" horse treat, and has been known to eat onion rings and pieces of sandwiches.

But the red licorice is her favorite treat by far.

Donk

Bananas

The overly ripe ones anyways, the blacker the skin is the better.

(Yes I take the peels off)

Fritos......and Gatorade
    Bubbles Would.Not.Touch either his salt block or the elecrolytes in his feed or water

I happened to have a tiny bag of fritos with my lunch atthe barn one day.

Bubbles is my personal Inspector..everything I touch, carry, wear and especially eat absolutely must meet with his approval.

Every single time.

I held one up for his inspection.
    He felt the need to inspect the whole bag..none for me.

And then took the whole bottle of gatorade from my other hand and approved that.

Walla...corn, salt, oil and electrolytes.
    And now that he's a bonafide member of The Cushing's Club there is no need to wean him of sweets.

GOTCHA, Bubbles !!!!
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Hilton Herb's Herballs!!!! Have never seen any horse refuse one.
    Decided to try a box of 'em since they're totally sugar free and my Percheron cannot have any sugar Both mares will just about sell their soul for one.

Both mares, though, also LOFF Bananas!!!! Much drooling, whuffling and glazed-over eyes are demonstrated when a nanner appears
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Gwen will gobble anything with gusto, even bute. But if you fool her once too often she becomes suspicious and won't eat anything. She's got a wide variety of tastes (grapes, doritos, etc.) along with almost every typical horse treat. But I'd have to say peppermints are her favorite.

Bonnie is a straight shooter: carrots and apples, please, maybe a sugar cube and horse cookies are OK. But no mints.

Pony will eat anything, including cat food, which seems to be a particular favorite.

How did I know? Gwen came with her habits. Bonnie's been trial and error (mostly error, nothing untraditional for her) and the pony is just so ridiculously omnivorous it's pretty obvious her tastes are legion.
    Click here before you buy.

OHMIGOD -- Bananas! without a doubt. Yes, peeled. God, she just loves them . . . Second is probably peppermints.

My guy's favorite is definitely oranges- if he sees you peeling one, he goes crazy and is practically foaming at the mouth. His old neighbor used to get oranges and the owner gave him a piece, and he's been addicted ever since then!

Quote Originally Posted by young21 View Post
    My guy's favorite is definitely oranges- if he sees you peeling one, he goes crazy and is practically foaming at the mouth. His old neighbor used to get oranges and the owner gave him a piece, and he's been addicted ever since then!
    Gotta be careful about sharing goodies.

I've managed to create a whole aisle full of Fritos Banditos
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Like you have to ask.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

I'll have to try some these for LadyBird. She's pretty suspicious and would not touch fritos and she's not a fan of apples usually.

Her majesty's acceptable treats: carrots (the best!), alfalfa cubes, and Buckeye peppermint treats. (not real peppermints tho: yucky apparently.)

I am not one who tends to be generous with treats, they get carrots mixed in with their dinner and that is usualy it. So, when the kids DO get treats they seem to know they did somthing special. And I admit, I buy very specific treats for them all (shhh, don't tell my clients as I'm a "no hand feeding" nazi...)

Trickster: Rootbeer Barrels-he will take out a small villiage Godzilla style to get one

Delilah: Onions off my hamburgers. Screwing around eat lunch one day and whipped on into the pasture, now I must hide from her if I am eating burgers or she stairs you down for some onion!

Buster: Good ol' peppermints.

And a special treat for all is Watermellon. Just toss whole slices in their feeders, they go nuts for it.

Oh, the oddest one of all however: On the 4'th this year as we were watching fireworks from the pasture I set my cup down and turn to hear slurpping....Trickster drank my Margeritta and was searching everyone else for more!!

Critter #1 - iced oatmeal cookies or molasses cookies.

Critter #2 - Uncle Jimmy's Hangin Balls, everything else is just ok, or not edible

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Critter #2 - Uncle Jimmy's Hangin Balls, everything else is just ok, or not edible

I am SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT!!! Uncle Jimmy is a part of my family! I've been helping him to push the Balls out here in SoCal. You should get on his website and get a T-shirt! He gave me one for christmas...."Got Balls" is on it...hehehe

My horses LOVE those sugar coated candy fruit slices. We call it the "Nector of the Gods". I try to limit them to one per day though, and I usually give it to them when I turn them back out to pasture after eating their grain and/or working. If/when they start to get too pushy about demanding their treats at the gate then I back off and they don't get them for a few days. Mean mom, I know.

Someone mentioned watermelon - my horses are odd about watermelon. My QH loves it, will eat it rind and all. My mustang/paint will ONLY eat the red. He goes to great lengths to scrape every bit of red off the rind. He'll take the whole rind in his mouth and pull, or nibble it down as far as he can, but won't eat the rind ever. I like watermelon on hot days and trail rides - hydrates the humans and horses alike!

The TB loves black licorice and his girl buys him plenty. The other two like it too, but not as much as the Nectar of the Gods.

We've found out what they like mostly through trial and error. Someone else at the stables had black licorice so we tried it. The fruit candies just looked like something my boys would like - how can you go wrong with chewy sugar?

Hilton Herballs and mint flavored rolaids - yes, we avoid all sugar at all costs.
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

Black licorice was a favorite of my mare.
    Carrots were FAB, apples were ok if they were crunchy and tart. Mushy sweet ones should go to the geldings please!
    Now PEARS...my girl LOVED a good pear.
    She also loved all of the Skodes flavors, but particularly Harley's Heaven. Maybe she was trying to tell me something...
    Pre-IR/Cushings, she also got Equus horse muffins. Definitely another favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post
    I am SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT!!! Uncle Jimmy is a part of my family! I've been helping him to push the Balls out here in SoCal. You should get on his website and get a T-shirt! He gave me one for christmas...."Got Balls" is on it...hehehe
    That is so cool They sell well here AND we have them on our website.

Edit: Oh yeah, the treats. Old girl loves just about everything but chocolate and peanut butter. I used to call her my "Vending Machine Queen." Twizzlers and pop tarts (but not ALL flavors) are high on the list. Baby girl loves peppermints more than life itself. She will take the teeny-tiniest nips off of a carrot, and likes to roll apples around in her feed bucket, but crinkle a plastic peppermint wrapper and she will all but knock you to the ground to get at it. The wrapper removal is apparently optional, too -- she ate one fully-wrapped off the ground once and was happy as a clam. I monitored for colic for 3 days after that.
    Last edited by SaddlersRow; Oct. 9, 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Didn't answer the question!

Pears... without a doubt.

I just got back form "lunch with my horse". Today was so beautiful I just led him for grass in the lawn. I got close enough to the pear trees to get one or myself, and as soon as I bit into it was all over! I got about three bites and had to hand it over!

Mare: Gingersnaps and corn on the cob (cob and all!)

Gelding: Frozen grapes and sunflower seeds are his special horse crack.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.