The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Can we have a good post about old lame unwanted horses

Namely, I'm so tired and frustrated with all the "my horse is lame, I don't want it any more, but I don't understand why nobody else does either" threads. Not just here, everywhere.

Last year I had a BO contact me with a 18 y/o broodmare that had made quite a bit of money for her selling the foals over the years. Broodmare is now barren, not really sound enough to ride, so she is going to have her boyfriend put a bullet in her head. Being a sucker, I took her, put her lightly under saddle and a COTHER offered to take her so I shipped her to another State where she could have a good home. That COTHer is taking great care of her and I know if the time comes she is too much trouble or too lame, she will be put down vs sent to auction (or shot in the head by some drunk redneck). THANK YOU MARY!!!!

Since then, and word got out I was a sucker, I've gotten so many e-mails about giveaways. Heck, when I went to pick her up I was confronted by a boarder with a lame gelding wondering if I would take him too. Her friends e-mailed me about sound young horses that were nuts under saddle, or old an unwanted. Anyway, I realized quickly I was being taken advantage of and it is their responsibility to deal with the situation responsibly, not mine. So mainly, I ignore those messages now, unless I know the person and it really is a warranted situation and a horse that would be WANTED.

So I want to hear about the old horses you decided to keep, and how you are providing for them. The lame horses, the crazy horses, but I want to hear good stories, even if it is that you took one and had it put down so it wouldn't end up tortured. I think we all need to know that there are people out there doing some good!!

I have a "Free Horse".

I spent many thousands trying to fix him up and finally gave up and retired him. It was too bad - he was a fabulous jumper, beautifully trained.

But -I couldn't get him sound and I didn't want to be unfair to him.That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. So - now his job is to eat and poop.

He does both quite well - and will be your BFF if you have gummi bears to share with him.

As long as he's able to get around, enjoys a nap in the sunshine, and keeps his weight on - I'll keep him going. Once he starts going down that final path.... I'll help him on his way with the help of the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post

So I want to hear about the old horses you decided to keep, and how you are providing for them. The lame horses, the crazy horses, but I want to hear good stories, even if it is that you took one and had it put down so it wouldn't end up tortured. I think we all need to know that there are people out there doing some good!!
    well...our beliefs generally prevent us from "boasting" about ouselves...which made advertising hard til we determined a product was different than the people we are ...anyway...I got three alive and three or four in the ground...which one ya wanna hear about ???

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I love old, lame horses! I wish I had room to take them all.

but, I am currently full up of old, lame horses.

once someone goes to the great pasture in the sky I'll have a new spot to fill.

The last horse we bred has a slightly crooked front leg and low thyroid issues leading to occassional abcesses. He is now 9 years old and I can count on one hand the number of times a year he is ridden. He is usually a little off but still runs and plays and is the happiest horse in the barn. The last time the farrier was here, he evaluated him and said he didn't think he would ever be truely sound. Mom's reply was... "He's sound enough for his job.... being my pet."
    Some people do want 16 hand, 1400 pound, slightly lame couch potato pets forever and ever until death do us part.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

I have a "free" horse, too. He competed, and very successfully, up to 3rd level dressage in a big show circuit. Developed a bad hock that could not be kept sound enough for competition -- a number of problems in that hock, really, now primarily arthritis.

His job is to take care of my other useless horse, my retired h/j, King. He does this VERY well. Additionally, he loffs the grand daughter ... and me. Sort of in that order. Oh, and he is VERY pretty!

I ride him occasionally, and he enjoys it, on occasion. A few grams of bute and I have a third-level dressage horse to dink around with for an afternoon.

He is HUGE (17h, 1,500 lbs) and goofy. A very big spirit and an even bigger heart. Incredibly, just incredibly smart. Eats me out of house and home and has a tendency to hurt himself.

So much for free.

He is perfect for me here on my Island of Misfit Toys!

Well, I will start with River. My mother bought her (I think) about twenty years ago as a yearling prospect. Lovely horse, awesome mover, and she turned about to be a nutbar. I have always maintained that she is the human equivalent of schizo because she can be fine, then she gets "the look," her eyes start rolling around in her head, and then watch out. I swear I think she hears voices. She has mellowed with age, but she can still be a litle dicey at times. Ironically enough, when she is being quiet she is very easy. My husband, by the way, adores her. Guess he just loves goofy women

I also have a lame pasture ornament who permanently broke himself about age 5-6 about ten years ago. He is on supplements to keep him comfortable.

Then we also have a collection of retired and semi-retired lesson beasties. Our farrier and vet say we have the best looking old horses around

My parents have always been committed to keeping them until they are ready to go the bridge, and I have always respected them for that.

I used to say that I would be working until I was 80; however, I am now up to age 90 at this rate!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Well, I just retired my 20 yo NQR tb while he's still healthy and happy, and I'll be paying $325/mo pasture board, blanketing and fly spray included, for the rest of his life.

Is that good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    well...our beliefs generally prevent us from "boasting" about ouselves...which made advertising hard til we determined a product was different than the people we are ...anyway...I got three alive and three or four in the ground...which one ya wanna hear about ???

best
    ALL OF THEM

I have a 21 y/o who's not lame, but who does have some minor arthritis in his hocks. I keep him comfortable with supplements, and will go to something stronger if and when the vet recommends it.

He's not doing anything anymore except eat, poop, and being groomed. I don't think he minds.

I got him when he was 19 y/o, and promised him I'd be his last home. If I ever get to the point I can't afford to keep him, I'll have him euthed and buried.

I also have a 10 y/o horse that is a spookmeister. He's not mean, but is scary-smart and spooks at the wind.

I have no use for a horse that scares me, so he's currently at my trainer's having a lot of time and under saddle work put into him. Since I want to sell him, I needed to give him the best chance I could at finding a good home, which means professional training.

If he doesn't sell however, I'll keep him. Like the 21 y/o, if I get to the point where I can't afford him any longer, he'll be euthed.

Pretty much all of you know Conny's story, so I won't recount it here. Suffice it to say, after being together 21 years, he's buried here at home with me.

I don't believe in passing along your problem/old horses to someone else.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Oct. 9, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I have had this a couple times...... First horse was my young up and comer, somehow got cast in his stall and ruptured all the ligaments in his hind fetlock. Tried a couple things to see if we could re-hab enough for pasture pet, but alas it was not meant for him and we euthanized at home WITH our vet.

2nd is my once in a lifetimer. He took me up through advanced, saved my butt more then I saved his. He has some fairly heafty health issues and was retired at age 11. Ok for light riding and jumping, but no more eventing. I nursed him through 2 years of monthly visits to the hospital and a few close calls. He is now as healthy as he can be (and will be turning 16), and is just down to basic maintenance. I was planning on just keeping him and letting him do what he can do until his time came. Next month I am actually driving him to the airport for his next adventure . The absolute perfect home came up where he can retire in Hawaii with some long time friends of ours that are moving. They will keep him until his time comes, and spoil him rotten in the meantime. No more temperature swings, hard ground, or barren pasture. He gets to go live the life on Maui. I could have sold him years ago as a jumper and still gotten a pretty big chunk of change, but instead I am giving him to the best home possible. I owe him that much and much much more.

i have a 25 y.o. retired prelim eventer. i bought him when he was 18 so my daughter who was 10 at the time would have a safe reliable packer to learn to ride. the day i wrote the check was the day i arranged for his retirement. my daughter rode him for 2 years and when he decided jumping was no longer for him, i rode him for another 2 on the flat. he is a gentleman, scholar and athlete who took care of a spindley legged little girl. we have great video of dd on her first bn xc on this horse. he had not been xc in years bc his former owner was a dressage person. reins are flopping ....i mean no contact and he is just looking around as he canters along. on tape we can hear dd say" next is 4--the log". i swear horse just turned and popped over number 4. she won her first ht that day. we have the dressage test in which the dressage judge wrote" never, ever sell this horse" and we won't.

Well....he's not old or lame, but my horse is a difficult difficult ride for various reasons. I've owned him for four years now, and this year things are finally starting to smooth out under saddle. He's an absolute sweetheart on the ground, which makes it hard for people to believe that he can be a hard-headed terror under saddle. As a testament to his bad behavior--I bought him at seven years old. By seven he had been in eight different homes...the longest was a year and a half. Heck, he could have been in more who just didn't bother to put themselves on his papers. He'd also been through three documented auctions...could be more.

So....he's not an easy horse. If I could for some reason no longer keep him at the family farm (where he would do fine with a pasture and a run-in....very easy keeper), and could not find a trusted friend to hang onto him while I got back on my feet, than I would put him down. In my opinion, a dignified death is not a bad thing, and I promised my boy he'd never have to go through an auction or eight more homes again. Everytime he's bad I threaten him with "Hey bud, you're stuck with me, so you better learn to like it!"

And look, I've gotten myself all teary...

See, you guys are already making me feel better Sometimes only hearing the negatives of humanity makes you really doubt the species The fact is, the good stuff you just generally don't hear about!

Mine is a 28-year-old large pony gelding ... blind, COPD, heart murmur, tumors on his penis.

But, the 2 mares LOVE him. He eats, poops, pees, and moves around quite well for a blind horse. As long as he is comfortable, he is safe here.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Scroll down to page four of the newsletter for Foofie's story: http://www.area1usea.org/Resources/N...006-spring.pdf

I bought a horse off the track who has a very difficult personality. He wants to be ridden a certain way, has a tendancy to be VERY mouthy, can really be an a**, and I believe dangerous in the wrong hands. I kept him for quite a few years until I found the RIGHT person for him. She partial leased him for a while, then I convinced her that it was time to own him. I gave him to her. And they are doing VERY well together.

My daughter's 18 year old horse with arthritis will have a FOREVER home with us. He was her first horse and we have owned him for 9 years. Right now she is away at school, and I have found another young lady to ride him a few days a week for us. He has taken such good care of our daughter, including all day trail rides with other 10 year old girls, etc., that we could never sell him.

And finally, I have a retired Nodouble daughter. When she was 18 or so, I saw her go through the sale ring. As she walked out of the sale ring and onto "that" trailer, I couldn't get her out of my mind. So I bought her. I just couldn't let her go to Mexico after all the years she served her humans, both as a racehorse and as a broodie. So now she is retired at my friend's farm and yes, I pay board on her too.

I posted about mine on the other thread, but I have a 20 year old Appendix gelding with ringbone and sidebone. I've had him for 10 years and he was a great horse to ride. He hasn't been ridden at all in a year and before that was only ridden by my hubby occasionally at a walk for a year or so. He has been too lame to really work for about 3-4 years. I struggled to pay board on him when I was single and having a hard time making ends meet, but there was no way I was giving him up. Now I'm fortunate to have him at home. He's a lovebug and acts like a big dog. (I think he'd come in the house like the yard sale foal if I let him. )

I eventually got another riding horse, who turned out to be wacko and bolted on me and I fell off and shattered a disc in my back. I gave him away and honestly would have probably gotten out of horses altogether if it hadn't been for the old man. It took me about 3 weeks to get up to the barn to see him after my fall and when I did, I just hugged him and cried. He is the reason I'm riding again today. I had to send him back to a boarding barn while I recuperated but was well enough to bring him home this past spring. Of course, he couldn't be alone, and I wasn't ready to buy another riding horse yet so I bought a welsh pony mare to keep him company. My husband loves to tell people that I bought my old horse a pony!

I *LOFF* my old man and he'll be with me until the end.

Default my mare has a home with me for life.

lame or sound.
    she's metabolically challenged, newly diagnosed w/ cushings and recovering from a torn suspensory. due to her metabolic issues, she will never be a candidate for one of those retirement facilities where teh horses get turned out in a giant pasture.
    when i adopted her she was lame. we had a few good years when she was sound albeit metabolically challenged. i hope she's sound again or at least sound enough to do gentle hacks. but regardless, she's staying by my side until she either dies or her medical condition is such that euthanasia is the best solution.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I'll preface this by saying that when I took in Allie (OTTB), I was on my own farm, with plenty of room for pasture puffs. She was in her 20s, had raced, been shown, used as a lesson horse, and finally belonged to a college student. The girl couldn't afford her any longer, plus Allie's arthritis was getting bad enough that she was very uncomfortable being ridden.

The owner tried to give her to a rescue, but they didn't have room for her, so the rescue emailed me (sucker@yahoo.com ) and asked if I could take her.

It's been almost four years now, and I've never been on her back. She's hard to keep weight on, plus we've battled quarter cracks, a moderate club foot, and chancre (canker) sp?, but she rules the roost and is treated like a queen. As long as she gets at least 12 hours out in the hilly field a day, she stays pretty comfortable. I'll cry like a baby when I finally have to say goodbye.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive