The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking "Special" traits passed into generations

I have the pleasure, no honor, or knowing Ironman and his babies personally. Anyone who knows or met him probably knows of some of his special traits, such as helping Nancy sweep the isle at shows, drinking out of a soda can, threatening to pull his shoe off just to get what your eating, his love to "hang out" with us (seriously, he's the only stallion I know that we can have standing in the isle, lead rope over his neck and he'll just hang with us and listen to our conversations) and the 3-million other things he does that just makes him special. I think he's half human, but haven't able to prove it yet

So that got me thinking. Horses are a special breed and are way smarter than people give them credit for. I've seen these "traits" get passed down to the kids (read below for examples). So what "traits" has your baby got from his/her sire or dam?

I was watching Ironrule the other day while Nancy was cobwebbing the indoor, where Rule was out due to wet pastures. He moseys over to Nancy to see what she's doing and goes to pick up the broom she had in her hand, like he wanted to help her. He just didn't completely get the idea, and couldn't figure out how to get the broom to move the way he wanted to. I'm sure with a little practice he'll figure it out! He also recently started wanting to "hang" out like his dad which I think is hilarious (of course someone has to have food).
    So share your fun stories of our crazy creatures! I know there's got to be lots out there.
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

All I can say is that I'm sure that there is a dunking gene...
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

All I can say is that I'm sure that there is a dunking gene...
    Crestline, you are CORRECT there!

My stallion waves his leg when eating. He doesn't exactly paw... not sure if he *did* paw and was taught no, or if this is all he's ever done... hanging it in the air LIKE he's pawing, sans the paw. Several of his kids do it, which wouldn't be remarkable as he weaned several of them, and they SAW him do it. Except the one who does it the most similarly to him was never turned out with him, wasn't weaned by him, and didn't see him do it until months and months after the colt started doing it himself. Half siblings out of the same mares don't do it. I've got to conclude it's genetic somehow.

They too are people-ponies. All of them will leave the herd to hang with people. It's a bit problematic getting candid pasture photos.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Don Principe also is a "people pony". LOL! He hates it when you stand outside his stall speaking with someone and you are not facing him. He will also bang the door and threaten to pull his shoe off if you ignore him.
    You can open his stall door and he will hang out as long as there are folks around.
    His offspring do the exact same thing! In the field or in a stall, if there are people around, they come over and if ignored, they will bang or run their feet along the gate.

Since "Prince" does not live on the farm- he is over 4 hours away-the foals never see him do this.

He also pouts! Never had a horse do this before. If you tube him with wormer, or bute or whatever, he will go into a corner, put his head down and not look at you. Prince will not take any treat from the person who tubed him but will from any other person for more than an hour. His kids do the exact same thing.

Don Prince wants to be first for everything over any other horse. He is extremely jealous when Jim rides another horse before him at shows. All t he foals have the same trait--"me first!" and will not be caught for a minute or two if you take another before them.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    www.sporthorsestallionexpo.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

We've had so many strong personalities over the years in our program that it is really fun to see what comes out in each subsequent generation...plus we have blended more of the lines into the program, so it is always nice to say - 'you're just like your sire/dam/grand____'. There is a quote on Kyra Kyrkland's website about better the devil you know and I truly believe in that philosophy as we are moving the next generations up the levels. As a rider, it is such a reassurance to have fewer surprises undersaddle...things that were easy for sire/dam tend to carry over into the next generation. That's the main reason I like to ride both parents before breeding.

The Adamant get usually are business-like - not huge cuddlers but will work their hearts out for you each and every day. Again & Again's are snuggly and love to lick your hands and are genius type of minds undersaddle. Able Spirit's kids (and grand/great grand kids) are show ponies - they turn on for an audience - the bigger, the better they go. Leigh's babies all do that hoof waving thing (so did her dam & granddam). Alice's daughters are the type to make mean faces but never follow up with an action. Wally's motto is 'fine' no matter what he is asked either on the ground or undersaddle to do and the kids are the same...really calm and focused on the person in charge. All this just makes the future so exciting & bright!
    Last edited by Tasker; Oct. 10, 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: forgot...

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    It's a bit problematic getting candid pasture photos.

Too funny, we have the same problem Of course with the Ironman's, it's more or less...do you have food? Where is the food? I know it's feeding time so bring me in...(I'm one of the feeders so of course whenever I walk in the barn, regardless of the time of day, they think they're getting dinner).

Keep the stories coming...this is great!
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

We have a filly, who has never seen her sire, been around him or anything of that nature. She does the same thing he does when he enters a stall. They just fly in, jump head on into it. Never step in to it. And it's funny, her grandsire did the same thing. I trained her grand sire, her sire and now will be trianing her, and they are all the same when entertaing a stall and other things. I laugh.
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

This is an interesting thread. We have two geldings, out of the same dam (different sires) and they both do the waving the hoof thing while eating...the same foot even!

We also have that with another line...same dam and this time same sire and both full siblings do the waving the hoof while eating. Both the Dams wave the hoof while eating.

Never had too much of a problem with ponies jumping out over our 4 railed oak board fencing until we started with a collection of Forrest Flame's foals...they do seem to like visiting other pastures and of all the horses and ponies we have jump out over the years, it appears they are all related to Forrest!

The Wicked offspring wouldn't dare do anything that could be considered "naughty". Talk about people pleasers and over achievers.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

OMG -- sooo many traits that Master Huntsman (now 28!) has passed to his children and grandchildren. He has such a gorgeous head and eye/expression -- his babies seem to inherit that conformational trait among many others -- his babies are truly "stamped" in his image. But his personality shines through as well -- he loves to "help" with anything you might be doing in his stall or paddock -- he picks up hammers, saws, levels, brooms, you name and with that twinkle in his eye proceeds to march around with it in his mouth and play "keep away", setting it down and picking it up as he is pursued. He also just stays over your shoulder to observe whatever you might be doing. He also used to "grunt" at times when I rode him and asked him to really work -- his babies often do this, particularly his son, Murray (also a stallion). It's pretty funny. They all love to bang on their feed buckets when eating (which I could do without). His babies just have that friendly, affectionate, bold and curious attitude -- all love attention and don't meet any strangers and are such a pleasure to train. He also used to jump out of his paddock or other enclosure whenever he thought he needed to be somewhere else and many of his babies have hopped fences for a myriad of reasons -- I just love Huntsman and what he's given me! It is so wonderful to see these traits live on through the generations, especially as the grand ole fellow ages and still enjoys his life with his sense of humor.
    PennyG

Meisterwind has always been a people pleaser and has a work ethic to die for. His offspring are all like that as well. And they all have feet like iron too. MW himself is kind of a goof ball and very playful. He always had a ball that he loved to play with. Now that he is retired he has a wife to play with. His kids are playful as well and will get into everything that isn't fastened down. Packrats, every one of them.

All of Chip's (Again and Again) kids are overachievers like he was. And fast learners. If you ask for a single flying change you will get three or more one tempis with gusto unless you clearly say that one is enough. If you want to drill they get indignant, with a haughty "I got it the first time---I'm not stupid" response. And they are very lovey from the ground. I once was trying to put a halter on one out in the field and was having trouble until I noticed two noses were trying to fit inside.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Talking

I think all of us with stallions who have such "special" traits that are consistently passed on should make an effort to inter-breed the children -- just think what "sparkly" personalities that might create!
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    ...he picks up hammers, saws, levels, brooms, you name and with that twinkle in his eye proceeds to march around with it in his mouth and play "keep away", setting it down and picking it up as he is pursued.
    It's about time they start earning their keep and helping around the barn I just would worry a little bit about the saw and hammer.

Ha! Ha! The only danger with the saw and hammer is he leaves a few tooth marks on the handles, LOL. He's more dangerous to a dog in his paddock, goes after them with a vengeance and his babies also chase dogs.

PennyG