The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beet Pulp Crisis-Ok so what are you feeding instead?

OK I have several rescue/rehab horses that need considerable weight gain (Think BCS 1-2). Beet Pulp was my best friend when I have done this before. Unfortunately that is not an option since it is in short supply and much more expensive if you can find it. So what are some good alternatives? I'm for the first time trying BOSS , alfalfa pellets, corn oil, canola oil, etc. What issues have you had with the alternatives?

My 24-y-o TB mare gets soaked alfalfa cubes on top of her senior mix and free choice hay. It's done wonders for her! She gets 15 cubes, twice daily.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I'm still feeding beet pulp. I've only got the one horse to feed, so I don't go through it that quick. Back when we first heard there was a shortage, we grabbed a couple extra bags, and that's lasted us quite some time. Our feed store is now carrying it again, but I don't know if that's temporary or not.

Default no shortage here

I've been lucky. There has been no shortage in the Raleigh, NC area.

Every feed store locally is out. I found 2 bags yesterday 14.65/bag. I have 9 horses on it so 2 bags won't last very long. Mill stated they didn't even have any prospective time for when they would get more.
    I have a trailer of straight alfalfa coming in so it will be cheaper to feed than pellets.

Any and all suggestions welcome

We had a shortage here as well. I use it more for a weight gainer then anything else. I switched my horse over to Rice Bran pellets and honestly I wont use beet pulp anymore, I had much faster success rate getting weight back on my boy. Its about 20$ a bag here so slightly more expensive. He also gets some sweet feet and hay day and night( 24/hr turnout).

I get mine at Southern States but I do know places that sell it for 35 to 40 a bag.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I'd highly recommend rice bran. Tons of fat in it, no mess, really puts the weight on. Just make sure you get the kind that corrects the calcium/phosphorous ratio.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

As far as alternatives, I feed BOSS, and I've really liked the results. Also try some form of rice bran, either in a feed, or a straight pellet supplement. That's really high in fat, good for putting weight on.

The only thought on the alternatives that I had is if any of the horses have any teeth problems the boss may not be chewed well enough. It is a good feed but the shells are rather tough.

I've used soaked alfalfa cubes before - and weight builder from Farnam. Also corn oil (although you have to feed several cups/day to see a real weight gain effect). Of course the weight builder and corn oil get expense lately, too.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    The only thought on the alternatives that I had is if any of the horses have any teeth problems the boss may not be chewed well enough. It is a good feed but the shells are rather tough.
    I grind mine in a food processor.

I've done wheat bran
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Is the Max E Glo a good rice bran to feed? I love beet pulp, but I have so many horses to feed, and coming into winter it is a pain b/c it freezes up.

Default Max E Glo is an excellent feed

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Is the Max E Glo a good rice bran to feed? I love beet pulp, but I have so many horses to feed, and coming into winter it is a pain b/c it freezes up.
    Max E Glo is an excellent way to feed RB. the pellets make it very easy to handle.
    You can also consider using chopped hay such as Lucerne Farms or ChaffHaye which is a specific product
    http://www.chaffhaye.com/

My horse love the chaffhaye and you can hide a multitude of meds or supps in it. It's low in NSC.

Good Luck
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Wow! I guess we are lucky in Southern CA we don't have a shortage-at least so far. Is there any reason for the shortage?

will beet pulp go bad? i have an open bag sitting in my garage. we bought it in july to feed in preparation for a long haul but mare would not eat it. i would happily donate it to a rescue if it is still good.

why is there a shortage ?
    Ride a draft - it will make your butt look smaller !!!

The reasons I got from the feed store-
    The plants stopped production for a while but still promised the feed companies their quota so they get first dibs until supplies go up again.
    The drought in parts of the US cause a shortage of beets to process so they are waiting on the next crop to process.

Its not a shortage or expensive everywhere. My friend in MI just told me that she's still paying $6 /bag at her local feed mill. I found some here a couple days ago, but it is $18 so I'm rethinking my girls' diets this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 3horsemom View Post
    will beet pulp go bad? i have an open bag sitting in my garage. we bought it in july to feed in preparation for a long haul but mare would not eat it. i would happily donate it to a rescue if it is still good.
    It lasts a long time. Yours is still good as long as it didn't get wet.