The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The old man is coming...

...perhaps as soon as tomorrow. His owner and I have reached a good agreement.

Physically he's teetering on the edge, but he's perky, HUNGRY, inquisitive.... so he's getting a last shot.

Unfortunately, he managed to add a 6" gash on his left hind to the list of issues. The other horses have been chasing him around and supposedly he wiped out on a slopey part of the pasture.

He has a lot stacked against him, and I'm not sure he will pull through. But I could not leave him, I am truly the last chance at this point... it is a hard spot to be in, in some ways, but the right thing for the horse I think.

So, fingers crossed...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

You can do it! Congratulations to you both!

Flash, I've said it before but you have lots of good karma points floating around in the universe. I am looking forward to enjoying this journey with you, even if he doesn't pull through. I love that he has an angel in you waiting for him.

i hope karma is kind to you both. looking forward to a happy ending.

Thanks guys so very much.

OTB, that really means a lot to me my friend.

I've never seen a horse in such a physically desperate state and yet in such good spirits... so I'm hoping that will carry him (and me) through.

Yay!!! Good for you! Keep us updated!

I'm so glad you're getting him! I really hope he pulls through and that you get some long, quality time together. Let me know if you need that soaking boot. (:

Yay!!!!!

(Well, boo!! that he is ouchy, but Yay! that he is still sassy.)

Crossing my fingers and jingling like mad.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Oh he's sassy, but not in a bad way. It's a good thing for sure.

I was trying to read his tattoo tonight, but no luck. He was too busy housing carrots and Dumors.

Crossing my fingers here too . . . er actually it will have to be the toes, I type a lot at work!

So glad you are bringing him home.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Lots of prayers for you guys. What a good soul you are.

Bless you, Flash. You're a good egg, to be up for this so soon after losing Dan. Best of luck with the old man... and we want some pics when he comes home!

I know in my heart you are doing the right thing. Horses know this.

Dan helped you, right? So maybe he is sending you someone to help out in return.

Loff, Ted
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

I've seen groceries and TLC do a lot for an older beastie in poor shape. I hope that he'll respond well to the love that's heading his way! As I said before, you might each be just what the other needed Good luck and of course, keep us posted (with pictures too)
    Y'all ain't right!

Best of Luck to both of you and I do hope Karma finds you both! You sound like an pretty awesome person!

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Thanks guys for all the well wishes.

It is a little bit hard taking this on so soon after losing Dan, knowing this guy may not make it. But he's run out of options, and I've got the time and resources. So many great people on COTH have done the same for other horses in need so now it is my turn.

It's funny, I had all of this stuff left from Dan... extra feed, supplements, supplies, etc. and was just about to donate it all to a local rescue. I'm glad I've found a horse that can use it.

My mom kindly watched Little FG this morning so I could drive back out there and check on him. The gash is looking better today. He's still got heat in that right front and he's gimpy but not as bad as last weekend.

He was pleased to see me... came right up to me in the field... must have remembered that I'm the Food Lady. He was very good about letting me doctor him up, stood quietly, no cow kicking like yesterday. Every time I see him he is a bit friendlier, it is encouraging to see him coming out of his shell a little.

I bedded a stall and tucked him in, he looked quite pleased with his fresh bedding, pile of hay, and water bucket! Poor dude I think he's just one of those hot-house flowers that spent his whole life in a stall, and then someone tossed him out in a field and he didn't know which way was up...

The vet is due out this evening and then hopefully we'll get him moved ASAP.

what great news! Im so glad to hear that you are going to be getting him. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

.... waiting for an exceptionally tedious concall to start... sleepy classical music playing while I wait, yawn ----

Yay for the old man! He's no dummy, and not out of it, if he's happy to see the Food Lady. Glad he is doing better!

I think lots of horses love their stalls. Katy would be baffled if she didn't have her own quiet place w/ hay.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

FG, does he like mints? I have boxes and bags of mints and candy canes that one horse doesn't like them and another that isn't supposed to have them (laminitis.) Good luck with the new boy. Groceries and TLC pack weight on quickly. I've also had good luck adding some oil when trying to get weight back on.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

PM he'd probably love mints!! He doesn't seem picky these days, ha ha. He'd probably go crazy over them.

And the best part is even though he is REALLY HUNGRY he's still been very polite about feeding and stuff... which is nice. He politely takes treats and is gentlemanly enough to wait till I drop the hay or hang the feed bucket. THEN he goes at it, full on!

The last "rehab" I had came to me with horrible food aggression so glad this guy has no hint of that.