The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I victim of a Dreamhorse scan?

This seemed really odd to me.
    I think I remember getting scam messages back in 2000 when I had my little mare posted.

What do you guys think?

We'd like to talk with you more about Starman. The price is a little out of our range, but we can guarantee a good home. I can send you a synopsis of what we are seeking, but dreamhorse will not accomodate the file. At any rate, my daughter is looking to move up to a larger horse a there is a story behind it all ... please call and ask for Sandy or email back and we can send you the file. If you are curious, I google well so you can see that I will have the best intentions when looking for a new companion for my daughter. Thanks.

not your typical inquiry, eh?
    What kind of response do I send? Returning messages to scam emails is not such a good idea, no?
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Oct. 8, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Too well spoken for scammers, plus she gave you a real phone number I'm assuming.

It could be legitimate. Wouldn't hurt to e-mail them and see what's what.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Oct. 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I dunno... sounds like it could be a legitimate inquiry.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I see nothing that indicates a scam.
    What happened when you did the GOOGLE?

You'd want to find a picture to ensure the people are who they say they are.
    Sandy in Fla.

Its probably not a scam. Doesn't sound like it. A scam is more like, I like your horse and want to buy it. I will send you a money order for 5000.00 to cash and send me 1000.00 back so I can pay the shipper. Thanks.

I'd answer her with a call and talk to her, not email back.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

the synopsis part sounds like a business woman or teacher?

it does sound well written, (most scammers don't write that well)
    I e-mail back and ask specific questions.

good luick

I have to agree with arabhorse2.

Too well written and she provided you her name, and used your horse's name. And if she indeed offered you a phone number, simply do a reverse search and see if the names match.

It wouldn't hurt to call or email. Good luck,

~Kerri & Pete
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Yeah, I agree with the others, doesn't sound like a scam. I'd respond to that request.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    This seemed really odd to me.
    I think I remember getting scam messages back in 2000 when I had my little mare posted.

What do you guys think?

We'd like to talk with you more about Starman. The price is a little out of our range, but we can guarantee a good home. I can send you a synopsis of what we are seeking, but dreamhorse will not accomodate the file. At any rate, my daughter is looking to move up to a larger horse a there is a story behind it all ... please call and ask for Sandy or email back and we can send you the file. If you are curious, I google well so you can see that I will have the best intentions when looking for a new companion for my daughter. Thanks.

not your typical inquiry, eh?
    What kind of response do I send? Returning messages to scam emails is not such a good idea, no?

Scams can be in the form of most anything but most scams involving sales like this are in the form of telling you they would like to send you their work paycheck which is conveniently in an amount a few hundred dollars larger than what you agree on for the price of the horse and then they expect you to give them back the "change" in the form of cash. Ultimately, the check is written on a closed or non-existent account and you end up "paying" them to either take the horse or they just never come to pick the horse up.

I think I would call the telephone company information operator to ensure that the number they've provided is a legitimate working number that has not been associated with fees being paid for using it and then call and talk to them to see what their intentions are. If you are concerned about returning email then open a new email and insert their email address and send it without any of their attachments. Be open and honest and state that you prefer not to receive attachments and ask them either to copy and paste the information into the body of the email or send it snail mail.

I'm sure you get the idea.

I'd get references from vet,trainer,etc....
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Everything that shows up with her name states Operation Kindness and the Humane Society of Dallas.
    Interesting.

What a weird inquiry.
    I'm glad I asked you guys because I would have trashed the email.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I would just be cautious about this file she keeps mentioning. I would be wary of downloading anything onto my computer (unless you have a Mac, and then it's probably OK). Why does she need to send you a separate file detailing why they want the horse? Just copy and paste the basics into an e-mail, and then follow up with phone calls.

If she gave you a phone number, call her first and see if she sounds fairly normal and if her interest is genuine and she asks relevant questions.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

My guess is that she is hoping her story will move you to drop the price quite a bit. I'm a sucker so I would probably call her and find out more.

well I sent her an email and asked for a copy and paste rather then a download.

It's her lucky day, the price IS very negotiable. Nothing is selling right now and he needs to go. : )

I'm not a warm fuzzy type of chic and will not be moved by some motivational/emotional type story. lol.

Default Most REPLY THRU US services...

won't allow attachments, because of the risk of spreading viruses, could you imagine their liability if someone opened a reply with attachment at their work, and it allowed some scammer FULL ACCESS to the company info... Or it trashed some work at home persons computer... If YOU continue the conversation after initial contact and something happens, they then are ONLY the greeters and didn't do anything wrong...
    It might mean you, for example, are asking $15k for your horse and they currently have $10-$12k to spend, not a lot of difference in cash amount, but a good percentage off the asking price...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I'm not a warm fuzzy type of chic and will not be moved by some motivational/emotional type story. lol.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

I'm with the others. I would call and talk with her, ask for a vet reference etc. There should not be anything though that she needs to send you now that would be too big. She just sounds a little like the who tries to be very specific and complete. She doesn't really sound like the typical scammer.

Let us know what happens.

As though you need another agreement I'd give her a call. Sounds legit.

Haven't been horse shopping in awhile to where I needed to e-mail through dreamhorse, but perhaps there is a limit on characters? I'd imagine there is. If it's pretty short, that's probably what the glitch was. She wants to tell you the story of her daughters riding career (you just know it, LOL), why they have to sell the one they dearly love now (size it sound slike), and why they would make a perfect home for your horse. I'd imagine this'll fit just fine and dandy into a regular e-mail, just not into a short dreamhorse e-mail.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Sounds legit to me. She may offer you a ridiculously low amount for the horse, but I'd email her back.

I find it very weird that she wants you to know more about her/her kid's life story than she wants to know about your horse.

In my horse shopping experience, there are several make or break questions about the horse that must be asked before any other info about the horse is needed. My personal info is totally irrelevant except for maybe riding level, which is, what, two sentences?

The folks here suspect that she wants you to hear her heartwarming sob story and give your horse away are probably right. Don't get your hopes up on making a sale to this person.
    --o0o--