The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help I cant seem to give my horse away!

I need to place my horse in a new home I have tried everywhere the giveaway section other various websites
    Hes 17 year old retired eq horse who had a bad injury back in 06 which left him with ring bone and a ever so slight hitch in the walk not that noticeable
    He can be ridden but has not been consistently ridden since last fall
    This horse means the world to me but I can no longer afford to keep
    Does anyone know where I can place ads or donating him some where?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Please help

Honestly...how "rideable" is he? Because few people want to take on a mid-aged horse who is not rideable.

Have you considered euthing him?

Not trying to be harsh...as I'm in sort of a similar situation...only with a much younger horse who rears.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

It seems that right now with the economy and with winter coming that people can't give away healthy horses much less ones with issues.

It is a very hard decision to make but you might want to consider euthanizing him. It might be the kindest thing that you can do for him at this point. I would be worried about sending a horse like that away to an very uncertain future.

admccan Guest

There are some horse retirement homes around. A girl that I use to know sent her horse to a barn that only had retired horses and just let them live out the rest of their days. I'm in NC so I don't know if there are any around where you live but you might be able to find some sort of facility like that to take your horse in. or it might be a possibility if your horse can be ridden a little and is a safe and reliable a therapeutic riding center might be something to try as well.I know I wouldn't want to have to put my horse down just for the reason of him being older. Good luck, hope you can find a home for your horse!!

You have three choices:

1) Get less picky about who you are willing to give him to. Insisting on the "perfect forever home" for a horse who is not perfect is a futile endeavor, even in the best of economic times. Which leads to next point:

2) Pay somebody to take him. Put up money to boot and people will be falling all over themselves to take him.

3) Dispose of him. (Self explanatory)
    Last edited by greysandbays; Oct. 8, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: sloppy edit

One site I've seen is www.donatemyhorse.com Not sure if you've already tried this.

I wouldn't trust giving him away if you are looking for a "forever" home. Those situations seem to be very iffy in outcome. Besides if you, who cares more for this horse than anyone, can't keep him, it is alot to expect of total strangers who may not have the same emotional investment that you do.

I second the euthanizing if you come up with nothing else. At least you know he hasn't been sent to slaughter, abused or neglected.

Best of luck.

I'd consider euthanasia.

Quote Originally Posted by admccan View Post
    There are some horse retirement homes around. A girl that I use to know sent her horse to a barn that only had retired horses and just let them live out the rest of their days. I'm in NC so I don't know if there are any around where you live but you might be able to find some sort of facility like that to take your horse in. or it might be a possibility if your horse can be ridden a little and is a safe and reliable a therapeutic riding center might be something to try as well.I know I wouldn't want to have to put my horse down just for the reason of him being older. Good luck, hope you can find a home for your horse!!
    That's what I was thinking. Alot of horse retirement farms require either a one time donation (anywhere from $3-5K from what I've seen) or you can make payments toward the fee in the form of board checks (depends on the policy of each individual place). Worth looking into. Peace of mind without having to euth.

It's a tough situation. There are a lot of free horses right now, younger, sounder, and more rideable, and they aren't moving either.

How ridable is he? Is he suitable for a college riding program? Some take donations. Same for theraputic riding places.

Offer him as a free lease... if he's the been there done that type he can probably teach someone a lot, and it will reduce you bills.

Can you not afford to keep him AT ALL, or just where he is now? Can he tolerate field board? If pulling his shoes and turning him out, or sending him somewhere where the board is cheap (there are some places that do retirement board for about $300/month around here... about 2-3 hrs from LI) is an option that might work, or at least buy you some time.

Unfortunately it's been my experience that if you're not willing to keep a horse you love, many times no one else is willing to take him on either. I have one who's 27 now that I planned to rehome over 10 years ago... I couldn't bear to part with him when it came down to it, but there really wasn't any place for him to go either... he was middle aged and not really sound, though he was OK for light riding for a number of years after. I boarded him for a number or years and eventually brought him home.

I have another one who is young (8!), sound, w/t/c/jumps 3'+, beautiful mover and jumper, nice barn manors, but has an attitude problem under saddle... he's a major diva, will be superstar one day, and a complete jerk the next. I can't figure him out! He's currently out for training (AGAIN!) and as much as he's really not working out for me, I know I'm stuck with him... because (especially in this market) if I'm not willing to deal with him, the likelyhood I'll find someone else who is is slim to none!

No suggetsions that haven't been mentioned, but just wanted to say I'm sorry that you have to give up owning a horse due to financial reasons. It would kill me not to have my own horse to go love on every day.

Hopefully, you have friends who will let you ride one of theirs, to give you a horse "fix".

i did give a horse away on this bb. i thought i had done everything correctly, talked to the woman multiple times, checked references, had terms and conditions signed and notarized. the mare was comercially shipped at the new owner's expense 900 miles.
    new owner sent a couple of pictures and that was it. she changed jobs and i no longer have an e-mail address. i called her to see if she had any use for the mare's blankets and she was abrupt and distracted on the phone but said that she did want the blankets and would send a check. check never arrived and i have this terrible feeling that this woman no longer has the mare and she was just blowing me off on the phone.
    it is very difficult to place a problem horse on a "forever" situation. sometimes euthanasia is a very viable alternative.

3horsemom.. was this Sophie? If so, it's absolutely reprehensible to think with all the work you put into her and finding her a new home you were ultimately taken advantage of.

I really don't have any additional help other than what's already posted. Good luck in finding a new place for him!

Default I rehomed a horse on this bb

and it was a fantastic experience. Couldn't have gone to a more perfect person or place, and she is doing very well. That said, she is younger and was able to be rehabbed and ridden. She had a home with this person regardless, but it made it a bit easier. Free horses aren't free, no matter how cheaply you can keep them. You need to make the right decision for your horse, not for yourself necessarily.

If "this horse means the world" to you, then do right by him with a peaceful ending. How would you feel if he was abused, neglected or crammed on a slaughter bound truck? I'm sorry but that's the reality for a horse in his condition. I know you don't want to hear the truth. There is a reason you can't give him away! You have tried and were unsuccessful, right? Seriously consider euthanasia because it will give you both peace. Remember, lots of younger, healthy, rideable horses are also looking for homes now. I wish you peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Melzy View Post
    If "this horse means the world" to you, then do right by him with a peaceful ending. How would you feel if he was abused, neglected or crammed on a slaughter bound truck? I'm sorry but that's the reality for a horse in his condition. I know you don't want to hear the truth. There is a reason you can't give him away! You have tried and were unsuccessful, right? Seriously consider euthanasia because it will give you both peace. Remember, lots of younger, healthy, rideable horses are also looking for homes now. I wish you peace.
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by hedmbl View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Alot of horse retirement farms require either a one time donation (anywhere from $3-5K from what I've seen) or you can make payments toward the fee in the form of board checks (depends on the policy of each individual place). Worth looking into. Peace of mind without having to euth.
    Worth looking into THOROUGHLY.
    Our own Caly40 thought she had given her horse to the same and she still has no idea what happened to Flint. Maybe he died there like the lady says. But who really knows and who trust a story that is so hard to get out of them and has changed?

Someone else said it's a lot to expect others to 'deal with' a horse with issues when the emotional investment is not there. I agree and it is that thought that would make me very fearful of relinquishing control of a horse who has served honorably.

eyeswideopen123 Guest

I am with many of the others. I am sorry to say this mbp but if you really cared for your horse you would put him down at home where you know that he had a great life and went in peace. Many to most of the "give away" horses belong to someone that on the outside looks like they are trying to find a good home but on the inside I feel like they are trying to hand off their problems to someone else or they cannot handle putting their horse down. As someone that breeds and sells horses, I see it as someone pawning off their problem on someone else. This is an old, unsound, possibly hardkeeper (I say this as he is a TB) that will probably have to be medicated in the short term and likely put down in thenearby future due to arthritis and ringbone.

ON A quick tangent...
    Just like the rescue organizations that "rescue" 28 year old, thin, lame, sad wornout, foundered horses that have possibly been giveaways at one time and then use donations to pay to feed these sad but useless horses and find them homes instead of rescueing babies, OTTBs, unbroke horses etc. Euthanasia is the best choice for these old, unwanted, poor animals. Not new homes.This is why there is no bottom value on the horse market. People have no where to put their unwanted or unsound or rearing or crazy or unrehabable animals so there is no room for a horse that is worth a second chance. Again leading back to the overpopulation of horses and the rediculous anti-slaughter rule...

*ok I knew i shouldn't go there... Just so you know I am not pro slaughter in by any means but we sure have gotten ourselves into a BIG mess*

Fugly horse of the day had a place in the Carolinas ( North, South, or maybe Tennessee )that she used for retirement boarding. I would search her blog for that recommendation. I believe they send pictures every year of your horse. If it's simply a matter of price placing them far away at a reasonable board may be the solution.

I just looked through some of your other posts.
    You have/had a 3.5 year old early this spring, and another horse named Patrick you showed at HITS last year? I am assuming Patrick is not your 3.5 year old since you showed Patrick in '07 over fences at HITS, maybe I'm wrong.
    Any chance you could sell/lease him/them in order to provide for your former Eq horse? You might have more luck selling a younger, able to be ridden/shown horse.

Also I am about an hour upstate from Manhattan and I know of a great retirement farm that charges only $380/month and my retired horse is flourishing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Fugly horse of the day had a place in the Carolinas ( North, South, or maybe Tennessee )that she used for retirement boarding. I would search her blog for that recommendation. I believe they send pictures every year of your horse. If it's simply a matter of price placing them far away at a reasonable board may be the solution.
    IIRC it's Paradigm retirement or something like that.