The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So at age 54 I'm NOT crazy when pondering the possible repercussions of backing my 4 year old Perch X? I've always had green horses, but never one that basically needs taught from the ground up. Funny, I don't worry about the pain of a crash, just the recovery, since I'm the primary breadwinner due to DH losing an arguement with a truck several years ago.
    I am horrified to discover that as I age, my spelling has gotten worse!
    I'm also more crabby.

Am I the only one that has gone gaited and discovered the joys of smooth????
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

ok, you guys, I read through most of the posts, and a very common denominator was aches and pains, aside from the lack of confidence.

While out doing barn chores this morning, I thought, oooh, I have so much to say about this topic.

But, now I want to ask, other than NSAID"S which many of you call friend...how many are doing glucosimine, etc.

I think we fret over our horses, and provide them with supplements up the ying yang and injections to make them feel better, but what about us???

I just turned 55, and can even begin collecting retirement...am I old or what!

What I am finding is a different set of needs than when I was younger. I built my farm at 36 from bare land, with my dad's help, both financially and also with us hammering and nailing. He was a carpenter so he helped me literally build this place.

I bought this land, due to its trail access, yet now, due to greenies, etc I don't ride my trails anymore. I stayed in this area due to friends, but most have moved away.

So, now I am taking a serious undertaking and moving away from New England and heading south. I know I will always have horses, and taking care of them in this snowy, cold climate is just more than I can handle by myself.

I am excited about starting a new life somewhere else and since its very horsey where I am going, I am sure to have lots of other folks to ride with, train with, etc. I like that.
    And if I choose to be a couch potato, well, there is that swimming pool and a cool drink while I look at the horses out grazing in the fields~

Oh, and to add, all my horses are quite large, my greenie is 17.3 perchx. I just had a colt born to a pony mare this summer, by default, she was prego when I rescued her. So, I will have one more greenie, but he is going to be small, hopefully will reach 15 hands. Either way, I do enjoy driving and hope to teach him, so it won't really matter his size.

I am looking at aging as just another chapter to embrace. I like being my age...always have. Yes, I'd like to be more confidant, ride like I did when I was younger,(I think that is the part of aging I dislike the most...losing physical agility) etc. but, I would not trade it for the comfort of knowing who I am, and the experience I have.
    Cheers to all of us.

Default I love this!

I'm coming to terms with my now-weeniness,
    Well said Arab.

My confidence is a problem as well. I always wanted my own farm and to breed my own horse. Well, I finally managed but I'm much older than I'd hoped and now I'm riding young horses alone on my farm without a ring. Sometimes I get really discouraged as I don't feel we are progressing. I have to keep reminding myself that I can't compare myself with friends who board where there are indoor rings and who take regular lessons. I just can't afford those things.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Default so, fivehorses

Can we ask where in the south you are headed?
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by DairyQueen2049 View Post
    Am I the only one that has gone gaited and discovered the joys of smooth????
    No! I went gaited a year ago, and really just love it. Sooo much fun. It's like riding a dirt bike. And it really diminishes the "after aches."

I've found that I'm just exhausted in the evening after doing the barn, and no longer have the energy to get fixed up and go out to dinner or whatever. I bore myself with my lack of initiative to do anything other than eat, sleep, work, ride and muck.

I also have pretty messed up hands -- one broken five times and the other damaged by a knife and then a horse kick. Arthritus really just sucks. My hands hurt after riding. Baths help though.

My confidence though, I have to say, is up not down. Thanks to my trusty QH Jazz and my new TWH Luke, they've help me overcome confidence issues created in my younger days.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    I've noticed the older we get, we start preferring the horses closer to the ground.
    Ablosutely!

While it was an adjustment going from a 16.3 TB gelding to a 14.3 Connemara mare I just kept telling myself "I'm not going to be young forever and she's a whole lot closer to the ground!!"

More than 12 years later (I'm 54 and she's 17 now) my mare and I are growing older, gray-er and a bit "fluffier" - together!

Other than that, getting older stinks when the body doesn't quite respond like it used to!

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    ...taking care of them in this snowy, cold climate is just more than I can handle by myself...

You can say that again! I remember the winter when I was 14, my sister and I rode our horses so much (bareback) that we wore the winter hair short where our thighs went.

Now, winter is all about heated water buckets and frozen manure.

Age has also given me a better raport with the horses--maybe it is because we are both much more mellowed
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I'm crowding 50 and, while I'm slowing down some when it comes to hauling hay and some of the heavier barn maintenance stuff, my 72 year old mother, who still rides and mucks stalls, keeps me from feeling too sorry for myself!
    I do find however, when I'm evaluating a new prospect for the hunt field, that I'm far more interested in how well they stand than how fast they go.